[UXP] Legends of Revolutions

Neither did Bismarck. Both were just helluva big ships that everybody though were sort of scary or cool and both were sunk in their first real battle. The whole concept of huge ship with as many and as big cannons as possible was already outdated when the ships were build.

The Bismark wasnt sunk in its first real engagement. Its first engagement was against the battlecruiser HMS Hood, the flagship of the Royal Navy Home Fleet. Quite a scary thing if your main ship that protects your island from invasion get sunk with minimal effort. That lead to an epic mission to sink the Bismark. Maybe if the germans were smart and stuck some destroyers to help protect it, maybe it would've lasted longer. Nobody was ever really scared of the Yamoto.

Phungus, what do you think of these two ships?? Do you think the longboat should have oars, I probably could attach some if need be. And what about the second ship?? Do you think it is a good startin point for barbary pirate. Maybe some skinning could make it more piratey/scary looking. Also not sure if this is used already. Have you seen this model as an ethnic ship in LoR?

Civ4ScreenShot0173.JPGCiv4ScreenShot0174.JPG

BTW Korean Star Kraft pro gaming is fun to watch:

Yeah the koreans are beasts in starcraft, well pretty much every other game as well. Once Tekken6 comes out in america, though, they will feel my wrath!

Both models look great. I do think the Longboat needs oars though. Some decoration on the sails for the Barbary would be good as well.

As far as starcraft goes, I don't play it. But for some reason I find it highly entertaining to watch at the pro level, as Tastless the caster of the matches is entertaining as well. If you check out those games from last night, the matches with Baby in them are very good. Baby is the next Slayers Boxer, coming out with old school and crazy strategies.

Phungus, what do you think of these two ships?? Do you think the longboat should have oars, I probably could attach some if need be. And what about the second ship?? Do you think it is a good startin point for barbary pirate. Maybe some skinning could make it more piratey/scary looking. Also not sure if this is used already. Have you seen this model as an ethnic ship in LoR?

Well I'm not phungus but I'll give you some feedback as well: the longboat looks great.

The caravel should have either black flags, or an image of the Jolly Roger superimposed on its largest/easiest to see sail.

Both models look great. I do think the Longboat needs oars though. Some decoration on the sails for the Barbary would be good as well.

Ok will do. Long boat is as I found it, but should be abel to put oars on it no problem. Will have to do research of how barbary pirate ships looked, were colored. Maybe I should add a muslim crescent moon on it somewhere.

The caravel should have either black flags, or an image of the Jolly Roger superimposed on its largest/easiest to see sail.

I would love to have a jolly roger flying somewhere in the. But I don't know if the barbary corsairs flew that. If I found out that they did, its getting slapped on as big as hell on a sail.

But for some reason I find it highly entertaining to watch at the pro level
Yeah I have a tendency to watch pretty much anything involving top tier players in games even if I dont play it. I wish american tv channels (I'm looking at you SciFi) would get a clue a figure out to include other countries in supposed world gaming events.

The Barbary Corsairs didn't fly the Jolly Roger; they flew under the Crescent flag of Islam.

Historical accuracy isn't all that important. And the Jolly Roger looks cool, perhaps both a cresent moon and Jolly Roger would work... I don't know though, I've always found it's best to leave artistic decisions like this up to the artist.

By the way, for what stuff do you need buttons? I'd like to take a stab at it, if possible...
Longboat needs a button. I think achilleszero will probably do that one though, since he is working on the model.

A big help would be if you just make buttons for the various ethnic art that currently uses a default button, or a button that just doesn't look right.

The Bismark wasnt sunk in its first real engagement. Its first engagement was against the battlecruiser HMS Hood, the flagship of the Royal Navy Home Fleet. Quite a scary thing if your main ship that protects your island from invasion get sunk with minimal effort. That lead to an epic mission to sink the Bismark. Maybe if the germans were smart and stuck some destroyers to help protect it, maybe it would've lasted longer. Nobody was ever really scared of the Yamoto.

My bad, should have used word mission there instead of battle. Or mission that lead to engagement or whatever to be more precise.

Still, ships like that were worth more as a propaganda tool than in battle. The enemy maybe was affraid of them, but the owners were as scared of using them so that they didn't lose them. But when they finally were attacked, they went down just like any other ship. Same thing happens with Tirpitz later in the war: it fires down two lousy planes before it's sunk in the harbour.

OK, I have to admit that maybe they could have been used more effectively... but so could have been the resources needed to build them.

Edit: To try and stay in the topic, any chance of including Druidism to the mod? It's a must with the Celts...

Asian legend unit ideas

Sanada Ten Braves (Japan)

"During the Winter Siege of Osaka, Sanada Yukimura built fortifications along the south of Osaka Castle at its weak points. From there, he defeated the Tokugawa forces (approximately 30,000 men) with groups of 6000 arquebusiers."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukimura_Sanada

Admiral Yi Sun-sin's 13 ship Navy (Korean)

"In the Battle of Myeongnyang, on October 26, 1597, the Korean admiral Yi Sunsin fought the Japanese navy at sea in Myeongnyang Strait, near Jindo Island. With only the 13 ships remaining from Won Gyun's disastrous defeat at the Battle of Chilchonryang, Admiral Yi Sunsin held the strait from a fleet of 133 Japanese warships and at least 200 Japanese logistical support ships. Many Japanese warships were sunk or disabled during the battle and the Japanese were forced to retreat. Given the disparity in numbers, the battle is regarded as one of Admiral Yi's most remarkable victories."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Myeongnyang

88th Division (Chinese)

The Defense of Sihang Warehouse (traditional Chinese: 四行倉庫; simplified Chinese: 四行仓库; pinyin: Sìháng Cāngkù) took place from October 26 to November 1, 1937, and marked the beginning of the end of the three-month Battle of Shanghai in the opening phase of the Second Sino-Japanese War. Defenders of the warehouse, known in China as the Eight Hundred Heroes (traditional Chinese: 八百壯士; simplified Chinese: 八百壮士; pinyin: Bābǎi Zhùangshì), held out against numerous waves of Japanese forces and covered Chinese forces retreating west during the Battle of Shanghai. The successful defense of the warehouse provided a morale-lifting consolation to the Chinese army and people in the demoralizing aftermath of the Japanese invasion of Shanghai.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_of_Sihang_Warehouse#30_October_to_1_November

Playing a new game with the test build (with low settings). Happy to report I no long have any texture glitches from any unit I've seen thus far (playing well into middle ages.)

My further thoughts on the new legends...

Honestly, my suggestion is to NOT add anything else. As you said originally, this is not meant to be an "everything including the kitchen sink" mod, and there is already lots of excellent flavour with what is here.

The fact that we are all wracking our brains trying to think of stuff indicates (to me) that there is nothing else that is famous enough to warrant inclusion.

I would also discourage the new "Maoi Statues" thing for the modern era. There is plenty of stuff as is... maybe don't add something unless you also remove something (i.e., it has to at least be better / more interesting than everything that is already included).

There's no need to merge in the terrain from Blue Marble. You just need to install BM to your CustomAssets folder, and it'll show up in LoR and other mods.

Please, Ninja2, could you explain more directly for a moron level person? I looked around, and do not see any specific "blue marble" folder in the system... I have it installed though. So which exact files do I need to pull, and where exactly to put them?

Sorry, I know I am a bit slow here. Or if there is another thread where this is already explained please point me there.

I've sent you an email on this. I tried a private message, but you've set your account to not receive any. I don't want to confuse people with solutions that may or may not work properly, especially seing as phungus is working on this also.

For an Asian Legend Unit, how about the Turtle Ship?

Currently it's used in Ethnic unit art, the Khobusan is the Galleas ethnic art used for asian civs. Actually I wouldn't mind making the Khobusan a second UU for Korea, but would need an apropriate ethnic unit model to use for Asian Galleases.

Honestly, my suggestion is to NOT add anything else. As you said originally, this is not meant to be an "everything including the kitchen sink" mod, and there is already lots of excellent flavour with what is here.

The fact that we are all wracking our brains trying to think of stuff indicates (to me) that there is nothing else that is famous enough to warrant inclusion.

I agree, although to be honest, I haven't heard of many of the legends that are currently in. I do think that there should be around 10-12 total, and that they should be balanced by era (4 early 4 midgame 4 late game, or 3 4 5, or whatever).

@achilleszero
I just tried a pure RevDCM debug gamecore, and it also throws the failed assert that has been delaying the release of 0.9.2. Now though I'm wondering if I should just wait for your models and buttons for the longboat and Barbury Pirates. How close are they to completion?

@achilleszero
I just tried a pure RevDCM debug gamecore, and it also throws the failed assert that has been delaying the release of 0.9.2. Now though I'm wondering if I should just wait for your models and buttons for the longboat and Barbury Pirates. How close are they to completion?

Maybe have done by late/very late tonight. Had a little trouble with them. But biggest delay is that my computer moniter is going out. It gets crazy static on it for long periods of time to where I cant even see (posting right now on my ps3, Ps3 rock so much harder than xbox).

Will have them uploaded as soon as I can. Also 99% done with buildings. Just having same delay problem as with ships.

Sweet, I'll wait till you're done and have it all uploaded then. It can wait a day I guess.

Also bummer about the computer :( You've really helped make this mod possible, and I hope computer problems don't stop your ability to keep on helping with development. Though to be honest, it's getting really close. Since you've gotten the buildings fixed, there's not much more I plan on adding/changing. Just mostly need to get the scrolling scoreboard and RevIdxs displayed, and that's all waiting on the base RevDCM to add, so that ball is in glider and jdog's court.

Top Bottom