[UXP] Legends of Revolutions

Some wierdness
The leaders that Wolf added dont seem to have first meeting text still.
I've seen this reported before, but never expereinced it. When there is no diplo text for a new leader, it is supposed to use teh game's default diplo text, so this is a strange one. Anyway I will eventually go through and add diplo text for all the new leaders, but this is a low priority thing right now.
And there is some weird behavior with upgrading units, when i hold alt and click (to upgrade all units), it doesn't. It upgrades some of them, and i have enough gold to do all the upgrades.
This is a known bug in the BtS 3.19 patch. It has nothing to do with this mod. However once RevDCM is updated, and incorporated into LoR, this will actually be fixed in the mod, and stil be broken in regular old BtS.
And finally, sometimes when i found a city near a recently razed city sometimes it doesn't have its full 3x3 right away, and there is no culture pressing inward on it, it just isnt there.
This isn't a bug, it can happen due to the IDW component. If a tile is effected by a battle loss and you have zero culture on the tile, you end up having -1 culture on that tile, you can see this happen with barbarians, plunk a unit out outside their city and attack it, if it's a new barb city you'll see their borders shrink back to less then the 3x3 standard if you win. You can get the borders to expand out like normal with just a little culture.

Along the lines that Admiral Armada mentioned, I've seen cities that were once blockaded by either a barbarian or AI / player unit that remained blockaded (1 hex remained) even when the offending ship was gone (move or sunk). It will remain this way for the rest of the game.

Along the lines that Admiral Armada mentioned, I've seen cities that were once blockaded by either a barbarian or AI / player unit that remained blockaded (1 hex remained) even when the offending ship was gone (move or sunk). It will remain this way for the rest of the game.

Possibly the city was never producing any culture?

That's a bug from the unofficial patch, it was supposed to be fixed. Are you sure you've seen this in the latest builds?

New version released:

Download Legends of Revolution 0.9.4b

changelog:
Legends beta: 0.9.4b
  • Consolidated 0.9.4a patch into main download
  • New Opening Screen and Music
  • New Diplo Music for Bolivar, Hitler, and Ataturk
  • Enlightened research bonus nerfed to +10%
  • Re Wrote install script, should function much better, especially with icon scripting.
  • Minor tweak to Barbarian Civ component (only requires contact with 1 full civ to settle).

The 0.9.4b release is 0.9.3 (and 0.9.4patched) save game compatible. This was actually an unscheduled release. The main reason for the existence of 0.9.4b is because I noticed about half as many downloads of the 0.9.4a patch as new downloads of the main 0.9.3 install. This would mean half the players that downloaded the mod would download a version with a critical bug in it, so I felt the need to have a working main release (even if the available patch fixed things).

Possibly the city was never producing any culture?

Oh they are producing culture alright. It's happened to a few of my cities and mine never stop producing culture. I had one city go legendary with a blockaded square.

phungus420 said:
That's a bug from the unofficial patch, it was supposed to be fixed. Are you sure you've seen this in the latest builds?

Yes. I first saw it a few versions of Wolf's mod ago and it has continued into LoR. If I spot one I'll post a save game for you. I'm inbetween games at the moment. Odd thing, it's usually just 1 city world-wide.

just a quick post to let you know this is a very interesting mod. basically now you can choose between rise of mankind if you want tons of stuff, RevDCM if you just want the very best mods out there bundled together, or your mod for a more balanced approach :D :goodjob:

I have to take issue with the comparison to Rise of Mankind. I realize that since this mod was released after RoM, people are going to make the comparison. But it isn't acurate, for starters I've never played RoM. I took one look at it and thought Overkill. Second these mods have two very different aproaches in design.

Zappara's design phillosophy is to incorporate anything and everything that has historical underpinnings. He has designed RoM for himself and released it to the community. Overall RoM is a composite mod that is very large and expansive with a grand vision, but it is also equally unwieldy. If you play RoM you will need to increase your difficulty level because the AI, even with better AI is unable to keep up with the overall complexity and new concepts it doesn't understand like pre req buildings. Further there is a serious lack of balance in RoM, certain units like Mailed knights just dominate, and there are mulitple periods where you have rapid succesion obsalecence with only one or two actually useful units. While humans can figure things like this out, the AI simply cannot.

My design phillosophy is to maintain the default game wherever possible and only incorporate new things that improve gameplay. The mod has been designed for the community following the style of what I think an official expansion pack would look like. Everything in LoR is concise and the change in gameplay is equivalent from vannila civ to Beyond the Sword. Further because all the concepts are simple and have a gameplay rather then historical design, the AI is able to use them all, and with better AI to great effect. And the game is balanced. When playing LoR you will need to drop your difficulty level.

And we haven't even gotten into proffessional apearance. LoR actually has unique buttons for everything in it. It has an installer and allows for the option to use Blue Marble. LoR also has decent sized poly units and has pretty equivalent system demands as default BtS. RoM has no such checks, it is a grab bag and 10,000 poly models with repeated buttons from other units are common. So overall I just don't think the comparison to RoM is really fair to LoR. I realize RoM is more popular (far more so, RoM has over 100,000 downloads), many people want 100s of new techs and units and don't mind if it's disoraganized. But the thing is RoM is only really playable for a certain subset of Civilization 4 players. LoR on the other hand would be enjoyed by any Civ player who liked the BtS expansion, as it plays like something that could have come out of Firaxi's kitchen.

yeah, that's what I meant. 2 awesome mods with very different approaches. I played RoM for a while and enjoyed it a lot. but LoR sounds equally as appealing, because it's appeal doesn't come from MOAR! but from a careful, balanced addition of needed concepts.

btw, one question: any chance you're ever going to include Next War into this mod? I really, really like the way it lets the game continue on after the ( imho incredibly boring ) modern era ( one of the main reasons I liked RoM is because you can build cities UNDER THE FREAKING SEA!!! :lol: ) , and it does so while keeping the general feel and flow of the game intact. but I see how it would probably clash with your design philosophy. for the record, I don't even play what I call vanilla Civ anymore, ever since I've discovered FFH :D . so mine really is an uninterested question, and the compliments are fully deserved.

I have no plans to include next war. I do hope someone will create an ad on mod mod for LoR that includes Next War, but I myself do not intend to do so.

here is something I just posted in the FFH subforum. it does apply to you as well :p :

I think that every single modder out there deserves praise no matter how small the modification is. you did spend some of your precious time in it and shared it freely without asking anything in return. even if any modder ultimately mods for his own enjoyment and to get the game he/she really wants to play, not all people are kind enough as to freely share their work with everyone else. so, thank you :)

Something strange...

I started playing a game with the new version last night (0.9.4b), and had my first ever crash with BTS. I had been playing for about an hour, and I was in mid turn when the screen went nuts and the machine rebooted on its own.

I was thinking it might be a MAF, but I was using a small map, and I have plenty of memory (Vista 64), so I don't know. I was having some Crossfire problems yesterday, so it might be related to that.

I'm not sure if anyone else has had any problems, because this mod is so stable, but I can upload an autosave from just prior to the crash if anyone wants to have a look.

Btw, every time I d/l the newest release, it just looks better and better. This is just a fantastic job overall. I also disagree with the comparison to RoM. LoR is much more balanced, and has avoided the "everything but the kitchen sink" approach that plagues some mods - especially RoM.

I'm not sure if anyone else has had any problems, because this mod is so stable, but I can upload an autosave from just prior to the crash if anyone wants to have a look.

If you load the save and it crashes again, definatly upload it. If not, chalk it up to some freakiness. I know my computer acts up sometimes and will crash randomly from regular old programs like firefox sometimes, just freezes up, course this is a pretty old machine. But still if you said you were having problems with another aplication (crossfire) earlier in the evening the crash might be related. The only way to tell is if the crash is reproduceable (you load the save and it happens again). If so, yeah, I definatly want it as that way I can find out what's up and hopefully fix it. If not, it's likely some random thing that wasn't caused by the mod.

Edit:
Also just a note, it couldn't have been a MAF, as Civ4 will tell you "Memory Allocation Failure" if it was. and this "I was in mid turn when the screen went nuts and the machine rebooted on its own" seems to indicate it wasn't Civ4 that caused it. I don't think Civ4 on it's own can reboot your machine, in fact that's really rare in this day and age. Back in old times little things like bad code causing a function to divide by zero would do that, but these days most hardware and software have failsafes in them to stop seriously fatal crashes that would cause a reboot. So anyway I'd wager a donut that you crash is unrelated to Civ4 in general, just probably Civ4 being the memory hog it is exhasperbated whatever problem you were having which resulted in a crash.

Because it is summer, you should also make sure your computer doesn't get too hot. My laptop does that occasionally, especially when I was still running XP, but I've had no temperature crashes after I switched to Windows 7 and used it's power management options (aiming for power save to reduce generated heat). I also installed a program to monitor my processor temperature. I now minimize Civ4 each time I see it going over 90.

@Phungus: I agree on the MAF. I checked the event logs and the reboot was spontaneous. I'm going to try to load up in a little bit and see if it goes out again. If it does, I'll upload so that you can look, but I'm starting to suspect my video driver. Since service pack 2, I've a had a couple of strange issues with a couple of programs, but never Civ.

@Merri: My CPU never gets to be more than 46C under full load. Room temp at the time was 22C, so I doubt that heat was the issue (I have a temp monitor running at all times as my machine is very overclocked.) I'm going to run Prime95 today for a while and test the stability after I check if Civ will crash again.

EDIT: It was definitely not LoR or Civ. Somehow my BIOS got messed up and Advanced Clock Calibration got turned off, resulting in a core failure > reboot. Re-enabled and stress tested, everything is fine, and I can go back to enjoying LoR at breakneck speed. :)

I updated my version last night, looking forward to seeing the Red Barron perched above the 300 while the game was loading, and was delightfully surprised to see the Baron was actually circling!

Nice job achilleszero !

I updated my version last night, looking forward to seeing the Red Barron perched above the 300 while the game was loading, and was delightfully surprised to see the Baron was actually circling!

Nice job achilleszero !

That was just a prototype too, to see what people thought and to see if anybody will have problems with it being so high poly. Hopefully I wil have a better version done by the next update.

How's the compatability with the new Unofficial Patch?

Top Bottom