List of AI Stupidities

This annoys me more than anything else

AI's can launch nukes on any of your cities from anywhere! They don't run out of fuel?! (also there are no nearby carriers or airfields)

So effectively, their nukes are ALWAYS superior to your 16-space nukes. poo

Also I had a chariot kill my helicopter.... think about it... HOW THE HELL does a CHARIOT take down a modern-day helicopter?!

I had a city 16 squares away from an AI city and of course they nuked mine but i reloaded back to my last turn. I then turned on cheats to see if they even had nukes in their size 3 city they didn't and they wern't building them. :mad:
I hate the AI with its magic nuke powers. Of course I captured the city straight away. :lol:

When you beat AI to punch on a wonder they disband it then then next turn start a new turn rather than switching.

Not really an AI stupidity, rather a lack of realism in the game:
You can launch your stealth bombers from carriers (sic), or for that matter any bomber from a carrier. Largest known modern carrier, the American Nimitz-class Supercarrier is about 350 meters long while a B2 Spirit Stealth Heavy Bomber requires a runway of at least one mile length to take off... not that Civ2 AI will ever use that, their bombers have magic energy source that never ends.

So much AI stupidities but do some of you really think that Firaxis will make a AI patch for this 12 years old game? I don´t think so although I want that they make a patch too. :(

Something I discovered while playing both MGE and ToT: when the ai has a certain number of units, their cities switch to (capitalism), even If they don't have the prerequisite technology for it.

I also noticed the AI are less inclined to use nukes (at least against each other) in ToT than in MGE.

Another AI problem:

Can you trust your AI player? Really? REALLY? I don´t think so. It doesn´t matter if you have peace or you are allied with him. They very often use diplomats do steal your technologys! You never can trust one of them 100%! I saw so many times that a alli or a civilization I have peace with it is coming to my city to steal a technology. :mad:

The second problem is that they very rare use theyr diplomats in other ways. They never buy your units. They just steal technologys from your citys as far as I know. Just the modern spys sometimes use bombs against your citys.

The 3rd problem also is if you find a diplomacy near your city and you kick him out (without killing him) then he will definetily return and start a new try. Ever and ever again. It doesn´t matter how much you already banned him. He will return on the same way and never think about to use other ways or try to steal technologys from other citys where he would have it easyer to steal your technologys.

CIV2

I'm playing a game as Rome and having fun with my 1 city empire.China is nextdoor to me and has 12 cities.So i'm keeping my army OK when they come up to and demand an outrageous sum of money so I say no and storm them with dragoons,cannons and riflemen.

CIV1

I'm on an island and just got knights thinking i'm the king of the world!

And then a battleship sails by.

I was playing a game recently where there were 4 civs left, me, the Spanish, the Mongols and the Greeks. I was invading the Greek island casually, with Alpine troops and Howitzers and Artillery. Of the computer controlled civs, none had gunpowder or conscription and their most advanced units were Knights and Legions.
I fortified an Alpine troop next to a Greek city and backed up a couple of Artillery. Next turn when I attacked, the first Artillery got creamed by a RIFLEMAN fortified behind walls. I checked through the UN and discovered that no civs had gunpowder or conscription still. And they hadn't bribed one of my units earlier either and I certainly hadn't given it to them as a gift. They just got given a free Rifleman. Not fair at all.

The rifleman would have popped out of a hut, since you had conscription.

EDIT: Upon perusing the rest of the thread I notice that this point has been made several times, and that my response was to a post made many years ago by someone who may not even still visit these forums. :blush:

AI Attacks me <FONT COLOR="Blue">with</FONT c> stealth bomber, but <FONT COLOR="Blue">then</FONT c> 3 turns later that civ discovers steath.

Furthermore, as soon as they discover stealth you get attacked by a fleet of 30+ stealth fighters and bombers. That is, they are generated literally as soon as the tech is discovered and used that turn, which would of course be impossible for a human. I'm sure this is true for many other units as well, it's just most noticable with long-range aircraft.

This is theoreticly possible if they have 12 20+ size cities each one can produce 6 of each and if the "air unit" "transport" sends all of these units to their city closest to yours. They can all be there at the beginning of their turn of stealth discovery. This is another reason why you might find 12 missles in one city soon after the discovery of rocketry. I just had a GOTM where nukes were out about 12 turns before any one bothered to discover the laser. Of course the Babylonians had 10 nukes compared to my 2. They had also built 12 brand new 20+ cities with full railroad access in 20 turns. Maybe they get free rail-access for any of the "air units" in order to move them around each turn.

Have u ever noticed that right when an AI gets a tech and then that exact turn they have 5 units that the tech gives u.

EX. The zulus got Adv. flight and that same turn they bomb my cities.

It's funny how when you capture an AI city, and they generate Partisans, they never do anything with them, they just sit around and get destroyed.

I just played a game where I captured Hyderabad with an artillery (since it was the only available unit in range), the city generated Partisans, and on the next turn, the Indians bombarded with a cruiser and destroyed the artillery, leaving the city undefended. The Indian Partisans just sat back and pillaged the land, and on the next turn, I was able to get a defensive unit into the city and destroy all their partisans.

I just played a game where I captured Hyderabad with an artillery (since it was the only available unit in range), the city generated Partisans, and on the next turn, the Indians bombarded with a cruiser and destroyed the artillery, leaving the city undefended. The Indian Partisans just sat back and pillaged the land, and on the next turn, I was able to get a defensive unit into the city and destroy all their partisans.

That's hilarious (and I totally believe you), but for the record, I have been in an equivalent situation, where the AI's partisans actually did bother to move the one or two squares that would enable them to recapture their now-undefended city.

Civ2 would really be a much better game, if the AI was actually good, but in fairness, that would be some extremely complex programming.

It seems pretty stupid when the AI is moving it's units around and doing its business, and then late in the turn they decide to go to war and attacks you with 2-3 units. If they had planned better they could have attacked you with perhaps 15 units. It seems like each unit is free to start a war when it pleases, with no government control.

And when they are forced to change the production of an expensive project, they put 300 shields into Alpine Troops when they don't need it, and perhaps can't afford to support more units. What about a Factory or SDI, stupid?

Edit:

Spoiler :

I had a city 16 squares away from an AI city and of course they nuked mine but i reloaded back to my last turn. I then turned on cheats to see if they even had nukes in their size 3 city they didn't and they wern't building them. :mad:
The AI don't need to launch nukes or missiles from the city where they are stored. If they got a missile in a city, the missile can be launched from any city. It feels unfair, but I guess it's a way to compensate for inferior artificial intelligence.

I also noticed the AI are less inclined to use nukes (at least against each other) in ToT than in MGE.
I have noticed in my latest game (2.42) that the AIs are not using nukes on other AIs, but they all are quick to use nukes against me. Maybe it's because I'm a superpower and they aren't.

The second problem is that they very rare use theyr diplomats in other ways. They never buy your units. They just steal technologys from your citys as far as I know. Just the modern spys sometimes use bombs against your citys.
They have bribed units from me many times. What's special is that any AI unit can do that, not just diplomats. I've had AI mec. inf. bribe my units several times. Luckily they need diplomats or spies to do other things like stealing techs.

CIV1

I'm on an island and just got knights thinking i'm the king of the world!

And then a battleship sails by.
:lol:

Have u ever noticed that right when an AI gets a tech and then that exact turn they have 5 units that the tech gives u.

EX. The zulus got Adv. flight and that same turn they bomb my cities.
The AI have ability to change production in the very last moment, so they are allowed to do that. This is actually the opposite of "AI stupidity", it's damn clever. :p

Civs involved: Me, English, Germans, Japanese
Political status: All Civs in Democracy except Germans-Fundamentalism.
Me in peace with everyone. English at war with Germans, both have no contact with Japanese, because of map design can't get unit to unit contact among each other. When I ask Japanese to declare war on Germans they respond "we have no contact". Also "check intelligence" tab shows no relations. None of them has any wonders. I can't attack Germans, because I get overruled by the Senate.
Fun part: I ask English for audience, before granting me, they request to cancel my treaty and declare war on Germans, I accept. Germans activate their alliance with Japanese. Japanese declare war on Me.

Ais constantly make units in the future and make future wars so repetitive and pointless. The ai 8s stupid here because it allows an early victory but still makes units non stop at the end of the one more turn.

ok, so i didnt read all whichever pages, but i thought to comment on what i have read so far;

the ai isnt really stupid it just stops - and does not advance past the early game tactics that actually work quite well - especially if you're a new player. e.g.

cities close together are easier to defend and develop surrounding land
riflemen are hard to kill by other riflemen or lesser troops - same for alpine troops
attacking immediately after unquestionably fast failure keeps you on defence
the wonder thing just isnt true - if you get a slow start (just say) ai builds wonders in all different cities

-all of that works well in the early game - but ya "stupid" after the second age maybe the third

so now ill mention the thing i feel the ai nails itself in the foot;
rail roads on every.single.square.
on prince or king the ai might be 'cheating' but if you beat them down enough it switches to a vulnerable government and my spies tear them apart city by city - no need for needless killing then :p

i'll stop there, 'cause im new here - hi all btw :)

This happened just recently: a CP sent four Stealth Bombers against a city, each one killing one of the defending units. Then he nuked the same city, killing those four Stealth Bombers along with my defenders. And then he didn't conquer the city, even though he could have easily done so with his nearby troops visible to me.

Hilarious.

In many scenarios, AI gangs up on you no matter what.
I had this situation: I had war with Americans (I was playing Russians, large world map), peace with Zulus, peace with Aztecs and peace with Indians. All civs were at peace with each other.
2 turns after that war with Americans started, they get alliance with Aztecs and Aztecs sneak attack me with some destroyers (versus vet mech. inf in a city with coastal fortress, hilarious).

Next turn Zulus sneak attack me and then Indians. All get alliances with each other so it's one vs 4.
But I have united nations and ~70 howitzers with 100 engineers ready to railroad my front lines all the way to Indian ocean. Indians are destroyed in a single turn, I capture 1 of each other civs' cities and make peace with all of them.
Next turn, they all break Alliances, Aztecs attack Americans and they wage a war for many turns.
Some years later, I get sneak attacked by Americans, I don't retaliate at all.
Next turn they sign a peace with Aztecs that have been massacring them for the past ~10 turns with bombers and nukes, then ally with them and Zulus to "contain" the Russian aggression and all 3 gang up on me again.
I kick their asses *again*, sign peace with all and they cancel their alliances *again* and resume nuking each others cities.

Where the sense in that?

I have often wondered why the adversary nations cities don't get as big as mine. I have decided that it is the silliness of the program for the Settlers/Engineers.They *always* dig a mine on hills, and this cuts off a lot of arable Plains/grassland for irrigation, since there is no water adjoining. Too bad there is no way to adjust so that they could irrigate hills ever once in a while.

Also, there seems to be something that makes their Settlers/Engineers head for my cities, when there are huge tracts adjoining their territories. Not asking for help, just commenting

Top Bottom