Emperor problems

mtgfreak

Massing Artillery
ok, this is my first time playing emperor and i just want to know if i have a shot at winning

breif history of my empire: got off to a good start as persia, always painfully behind in techs (although i got a lot from Carthage for a peace treaty), got into a despotic golden age unfortuately and i am making a beeline towards military trad for calvary.

note that it might not be able for dl cause of my router

Had a quick peak at your sav and I must say for a first attempt at emperor it isn't that bad. Lot of room for improvement however ;)

Quick gain: set science 10% higher and get Inv. 1 turn earlier increasing chances to trade for Mono and/or Rep.

Your biggest problem is called infra. 5 workers and some captured ones is way to few. Many of your cities use unworked tiles. Which means you're not getting the shields and income potentially available.

Also, your army is very strong but large as well and taking 12gpt. And most cities are still building more units. You could be planning another war of course, but that planning is seriously hindered by a lack of mapknowledge.

Then there is only one Marketplace built, those are great for both income and using the 3rd lux for extra happiness.

Those 28 Immortals can be of value for some more expansion thru limited wars but my main recommendation is:
- Build workers and marketplaces.
- Get more mapknowledge using galleys along the coast and horsies over land.
- Build a harbor somewhere as soon as you spot AI that has one as well. Opens trade options.

Some remarks on aspects that can't be reversed in this game:
- Your build style is way to open. Many tiles in the core won't be of use until after Hospitals are build. Use a city-tile-tile-city build.
- Get explorers out early in the game. This gives techtrading options much earlier in the game and mapknowledge as well.

After all you can win this game easily if you bring your infra up to standards.

Good luck and have fun!

I gotta say that winning might be pretty tough. You've got a lot of territory from your successful war against Carthage, but you're not putting it to good use. You are in dire need of workers and terrain improvements. Most of your cities have only a few roads and nothing else. Stop building aqueducts in cities that are barely growing and build workers. Unfortunately, those workers will make your unit maintenace go up until you get some larger cities. With all those small towns that need aqueducts to grow, you'd actually be better off in Feudalism. Don't change, but you need those workers for your cities to grow, and you need the cities to grow in order to support your units.

Like Beam said, your cities are spaced rather far apart. It isn't working too badly since you own plenty of space. If you only had a small amount of territory and spaced you cities like you did, that would be really bad. But still, once you get enough workers, think about building a few settlers and filling in the gaps. If you're worried that these new cities will stunt the growth of the original cities in the industrial era, you can disband them then, and move their populations into the big cities once they have hospitals.

You're behind in tech. I don't know how far, but Leonardo, Sistene, and Templar are all built and you don't have invention or monotheism yet. I have a feeling that if you "beeline" for Military Tradition by researching yourself, you'll get there when everyone else has riflemen. If you're thinking of a domination victory, you may have to give that up. It's a big map, and any victories you have will be hard-fought. I think you'd be better off building infrastructure (tile improvements, markeplaces, aqueducts, the Forbidden Palace) and playing the trading game to stay in the tech race. Get more contacts, and when you get invention, trade it to the Byzantines or Carthage for Monotheism and any thing else they have. Do it quick, before they're wiped out.

Good luck, it will be difficult, but the game is winnable.

quick update:

i got my military under control with a sucessful war with japan (5 extra cities). i can now produce up to 24 new units(which will most likely be workers).

i got monotheism, chivalry, and invention, traded furs and dyes to Sumeria for 31 gpt, and am now researching chemistry which will be done in 11 turns

the one problem that i see now is that i have no saltpeter, if i could get a hook up with Russia, maybe i could get some for gpt or luxuries

if u want an updated save file, just ask

I looked at the new save file, and I think I overestimated Emperor, or underestimated you, mtgfreak. You seem to be doing fine techwise, you are researching chemistry, and some of the AIs don't have it yet. Make sure you trade any new techs you get for techs that are on the upper part of the Medieval tree. You will certainly need to get to the industrial era before the game is over so you need those techs. I'd say that it would be better to just generate gold and buy techs, but it appears that you broke a deal with carthage, and no one will take gpt for tech, so just keep researching. Looks like a good game.

Getting military tradition first in Emperor is a piece of cake in Emperor if you bee-line for it. I notice the AI tends to focus more on acquiring Democracy first.

@axxessdenied: it didnt work here

1140 AD: Sumeria and Russia are in industrial age, Byzantines eliminated by Russia, Japan eliminated by Carthage :eek: . I declared war on Carthage to get cities of Kyoto, Leptis Minor, and Hakodate. i have a lot more workers and am building libraries, universities, and marketplaces around my empire. i am in second place overall for score and have 3 more techs before industrial age by trading military trad for other techs

here is the save for 1140AD

My new emperor game (mayans again) I managed to snag Democracy first and could've easily gotten MT first as well. But, I had no saltpeter yet so it wasn't worth it for me.

Top Bottom