Crime & Punishment

No, I have never lived in an ex-colony that was a penal colony. South Australia was free settlers and Canberra was much later.

Really? I always thought all of Australia was a penal colony. I will have to brush up on my Australian history. Learn something new every day! :eek:

EDIT: *Brushes up a little* ...

Link to video.

Are you trying to say USA is a greater tyrant, then the North Korea? ;)

Might be a little too radical a view eh? And perhaps not... yet. But we're sure headed there yes! One thing I know that most of us do NOT know is that the idealism behind North Korea is actually in principle quite rational - and their viewpoints expressed on the global stage do make a lot of sense. They are left to be quite misunderstood here in the states... perhaps because our government and media fear too many of us might begin to sympathize.

All that said... I do see some serious flaws in some of their views too... but I can't fault them at all for being the one lone nation to stand up and say 'this whole thing going on here is complete BS and I won't be a part of it!' Quite honorable really... of course it means they'll be cast as insane renegades in the process. Particularly since they realize there's only a few ways they can really maintain any kind of balance of power as they slip behind the rest of the world in their resistance to our concept of 'progress' and that only strategy they have can do little but make them look like a dangerous wild card to the rest of the world when they play that card.

Doesn't even mention the other main economic reason for Australian settlement. Hemp (European/African not drug variety) for cloth, sail and rope for the British Navy. Loss of Virginia and other regions of the Americas meant they needed a new supplier.

Here is a new Crime Property Icon (if you want it).

Attachments

• scala.png
    scala.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 397
I know the Healer decreases disease on plots, is there a unit that does this for crime?

I was rather disappointed that crimes just sorta stopped around car-bombing and plane hijacking.
There's crimes above and beyond that.
Just a few ideas:

Mass Disorder: Infrastructure is falling apart - police are barely equipped to handle the amount of crime occurring. People are protesting, striking, rioting, and outright defying all forms of law.
Exists above 1200 crime
-10% all yields (Science, food, prod, culture, espionage)
+10 Unhappiness +5 Unhealthiness
50 instability per turn
+5 Unhappiness in every city

Civil War: The people have taken to violently clashing against each other. Ethnic cleansing and race wars are occurring, society is falling apart at the seems as gangs and organized crime rings become the defacto rulers of individual city districts. Crime goes completely unchecked. The strong take from the weak, might makes right.
Exists above 1800 crime
-30% all yields (Stacks with previous to equal -40%)
+20 Unhappiness +15 Unhealthiness
100 instability per turn
+10 Unhappiness in every city

Societal Breakdown: Anti-government terrorist groups and extremist ultra-nationalists have formed as a result of the civil war, and have begun to clash with the gangs and organized crime rings along with themselves. All sense of civility is gone, the entire city has devolved into full blown warfare, anarchy, and disorder.
Exists above 2400 crime
-50% all yields (Stacks with previous to equal -90%)
+50 Unhappiness +50 Unhealthiness
200 instability per turn
+20 Unhappiness in every city

And thats about it. Whaddya think?
Also why the hell do cities populations remain stagnant during revolutions? Shouldn't the city starve very, very quickly since all of the citizens have been turned into angry citizens?

Posting this here so I don't forget.

Crime (Environnement Dumping) shouldn't exist with Garbage everywhere Civic
Crimr (Internet Fraud) should require Internet Project
Crime (Money Laudering) shouldn't exist with No Money Civic
Crime (Domestic Violence), Crime (Sexual Harrasment) should be available with Matriarcat.

Yeah, I saw this thread only after posting that. Serreh.

Commenting where I should be - I actually love those proposals except the name Civil War should maybe be 'Organized Resistance' or something to indicate the growing move towards civil war rather than an erupted civil war in progress which would say there should be units forming. What would be very cool is if some of these start spawning barbarian units at the cost of population - lol.

Put that in with the slave and serf uprisings on our to do list.

BtW did I post a way to get those slave/serf/gladiator revolt to sort of work with The Great Wall! Basically you turn one plot, probably the one with the most important resource on it, into a barbarian fort and put the units in there. For nations without the Great Wall the revolting units will still spread out pillaging etc but the nation with the Great Wall will have to mount a big expedition to reclaim the plot. The fort strength would need to be one less that that the nation can build unless Bad Karma is on. Reinforcements would also be possible.

I think the Great Wall needs to be completely re-thought as to how it should function. In the past I purposefully avoided building it because it prevented me from farming barbarian XP as easily.

It also creates a conflict with numerous ideas of spawning barbarian and animals inside cultural border for various reasons.

It would be much more interesting if we could convert it in to an actual set of wall segment improvements that anyone could built. Something which acts similar to a river in that there is a attack penalty for attacking across it.

In the past I purposefully avoided building it because it prevented me from farming barbarian XP as easily.

Strange, that is the reason I build it. That and the fact that I can build a fort in hostile territory (unowned) to safely heal up all my units if I have over extended myself.

I did suggest that it physically built a series of forts on your current border with the zoc but was told that would be too powerful against other players. Even though it would get in your way when you expand.

Strange, that is the reason I build it. That and the fact that I can build a fort in hostile territory (unowned) to safely heal up all my units if I have over extended myself.

I did suggest that it physically built a series of forts on your current border with the zoc but was told that would be too powerful against other players. Even though it would get in your way when you expand.

Difference of play styles probably. I'm lazy and like to let the barbarians come to me by moving my city defense stack off a border city, and taking advantage of the AI thinking, that there is a juicy target there which it makes a bee line toward. Then I move them back on when their adjacent, and let them die against my walls, then send offensive units out to clean up the rest. This was back in v29 or prior. Don't know if that tactic will still be usable yet till I start a new long term game meant for playing and not testing.

I thought about all the crimes we have in C2C. One of them is hate crime. What bothers me is that racism is just the motivation and not the crime itself . It doesn't matter for what reason a person murder ore steal, the crime itself brings :mad: and :yuck: regardless for what reason it was comitted. But maybe i am wrong and hate crime means to insult someone because he or she has an other skin colour for example. But than these crime should only occur when the civic liberal is active. For example if i run the civic slavery how could something like hate crime exists when it is absolutly normal to treat parts of your population like animals ore property ?

I thought about all the crimes we have in C2C. One of them is hate crime. What bothers me is that racism is just the motivation and not the crime itself . It doesn't matter for what reason a person murder ore steal, the crime itself brings :mad: and :yuck: regardless for what reason it was comitted. But maybe i am wrong and hate crime means to insult someone because he or she has an other skin colour for example. But than these crime should only occur when the civic liberal is active. For example if i run the civic slavery how could something like hate crime exists when it is absolutly normal to treat parts of your population like animals ore property ?

A hate crime could probably be defined as the fostering of a culture of outspurts of violence, discrimination, and verbal abuse towards other elements of the culture that are in minority sectors. Pretty simple.

This is not always 'racism' but rather the basic human tendancy to define an 'us' group and a 'them' group and in more 'out of control' societies can grow to become a problem which grows to openly and freely expressed hostility between those groups, however those groups are defined, be it race, religion, or a set of people's favorite song genres.

Top Bottom