End of Empires - N3S III

I'm in.

Arkage
Starting Location: As above

Society: Ruled by a king who legitimises himself by his continuing on the throne. While the fact they normally adopt whoever they percieve most able reduces the extent (often buying off a major threat), kings have the constant threat of deposal should they fail. The King governs an army class, who govern a slave class.
Lineage: Adoptional/Patrilineal- Adoption is very common in society, allowing for more social mobility depending on how people are perceived when young. People consider themselves the sons/daughters of their fathers, however.
Values: Success (military), Intelligence, Strategy
Religion(s): One of the main doctrines of the society is Will of the Gods and Mandate of Heaven. They believe that several Gods conflict and that the balance of power constantly changes. This affects their morality, as they believe the Gods are rightful governors of the world. They therefore reason that, in effect, victory demonstrates a cause to be just. They do, however, believe that military expansionism is a right- after all, how else can the Gods get a chance to show their will to mortals?
Language(s): The writing is cuniform. Tense, not word order, is used to determine the context of speaking.
Mythos: After a radical change in the balance of power amongst the gods, a brilliant general managed to conquer all the peninsula. He willed it to his sons, but
Economic Base: The society is agricultural, and based on a slave-army distinction. The army class is so small they are in fear of slave revolts, and stay disiplined. The precedent was set early on that a slave class would massacre the stock of the army class if they ever were triumphant. Slaves, while some hope to be adopted, generally resent the army class. The army class thus is forced to train hard out of fear.

Nation Names: Zobori, Fakri, Nestada, Jania, Krakin, Mestada, Grakn, Jekra, Arkage
Person Names: Pren, Karga, Zanten, Olyran
Place Names: Nikros, Parda, Xerking, Ougwa

In. Requesting the peninsula on the right with a Mediterranean climate.

I'm in.

Ederru
Starting Location:

Society: At the top in any heierachy (Imperial, national, community or even family) are the Iliv and the Ruiv (strong one and wise one), who rule together in an uneasy fashion. Surrounding them on a council are the Vlasrog (those with sticks). Below them are the Vlsese (those with lines, women). Below them are Rdothey (children)
Lineage: Children carry their mother or father's name, until puberty when they are expected to find their own name, in a quest entitled Idayrdothey (the naming of the child). When they find said name,usually by getting a job in the community, they return, keeping an ancesteral name, which works as a surname.
Values: The most value is being able to provide for the community, be it hunting or preparing food
Religion(s): They worship an pantheon of gods of undetermined gender. More information is found below.
Language(s): Their language is comprised of hard sounds, with lots of root words. They do not have a writing system yet, prefering to use maticulasly carved cuts, or Ulm, cut by Ulmellib.
Mythos: The gods decided that they needed someone to enjoy their work, so the asked Omulno to choose an animal to give intelligence to. After a few tries, they got it right with a bald, four limbed ape. Those that failed became demons in an other world. The Ederru are deathly afraid this will happen to them.
Economic Base: As the land is very poor for farming, hunting and foraging is used instead. Some tribes have started domesticating seals and caribou, but many aren't sure what Omulno thinks of this.
Nation Names: Ekl, Uggo, Kedoy, Dyab
Person Names: Obhiyr (Hunter), Ubevyi (Forest Clearer), Ulmellib (Ulm carver), Guth (holy man)
Place Names: Yadyevu (Celestial Manatee's Coast. Named after the ghostly manatee that visits the area once in a while.), Usholevu (Woods of the Great Seals. So names as it is close to an area frequneted by large seals.), Lemdeh (Midway Caves. These cave are supposed to be the point between Stes, the planet; and Deh, the land of the dead. As such, many are laid to rest in this cave system.)
They do not believe in ownership of anything. Their belief is that they are renting the land they live on to the gods (put simplisticly).
Males believe they can satisfy their lusts anywhere they so wish, with anyone, so long as they are female.

The Iyayaddi (builders) (for the sake of simplicity, I'll just write 'he'. Plus, there are very crude translations to the names.)
The Architect, Sinr: This god designed the planet, with it's land and skies and waters. While important, he is never given any form. If he must be carved in an Ulm, he is shown by a large cross, but what kind is up to the carver.
The Owner, Itnut: Represented by the moon, it is this god that communities offer sacrifices to, in order to keep humanity living on the planet. The changing colour represents his moods, while eclipses are seen as he and Irevagg arguing over the fate of humanity.
The Foundation Layer, Ihedleh: Represented by the winter splotch, he created and shaped the ground to Sinr's plans. He deposited the metals under the ground as well. He gave the humans Deh, the land of death (can be translated to basement).
The Plumber, Murror: He is the one that filled the valleys and depressions with water, making rivers and seas. He is represented by sweeping cloud in the night sky.
The Roof Maker, Siyayge: He created the sky, and it's decorations, the clouds and stars. As such, it is said all the constellations are part of him. He also gave the gods Ekoyakoh, the land of the gods (can be translated to attic)
The Energy Supplier, Irevagg: He is the sun and giver of fire. He is the only god who really cares about humans, saying that he walked among them, giving them the secrets of fire, weaponry and justice.
The Gardener, Adle: He put the plants here, and is represented by the Crossing star (the first wandering star described)
The Cook, Omulno: The god of animals and eating said animals. Is seen as the pearly white wandering star.
The Entertainer, Fyaj: The dull yellow wondering star, he is what provides entertainment in it's various forms.
The Servents, Enyayabb & Sebirho: They are seen as the ones who keep the world existing. They are seen in the sky as the slow moving stars, making sure everything is alright with the world as it sleeps. Natrual disaters are their way of cleaning up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I understand it is not in a pink area. But I want to try a civilization that live on the fringes of hardship. Besides, I already have a desert civ in Lucky Moose's LuckNesVI. Shame he hasn't updated in a while...

Claiming Here

Spoiler :

Will type up rest later.

Liealb
Starting Location: Does anyone listen to NK when he wants the others pinpointed as well: here it is lacking names I am the different coloured one.
Society: Based around the male as the warrior and protecter, the usual collection of peoples (nobles, Priests etc attempting to garner power, Despot Trying to stop them and the Poor living on). Women face much more difficult upward social mobility, although a route is open through the priesthood (depending on the main temple)
Lineage: Salic
Values: Theft (OR rather being Against it!). When you kill some you steal his life, when you lie to some one, you steal his right to the truth etc [stolen, cookie for reference :p), Charisma is seen as superior to Intellect, as it is thought that the intelligent man will be able to use his intellect to be more charismatic than another person. Community and working to further it.
Religion(s): Centred around the astrological happenings, thus a god for every Extra-Terrestrial body, plus a god for Death, for the Planet and then minor dieties for purely terrestrial matters. Cities usually place one of the ET Gods in Prominance. Ancestors are honoured but not worshipped, the most famous being worked into myth and legend.
Language(s): Abugida writing system. Variations in pronunciation of the vowels lead to a slight variation of the language locally. Distance and ease of communication being the major cause to changes in dialect. Mountain areas tend to pronounce every single constant and vowel, makes it much clear when shouting, in the riverine areas vowels and constants tend to merge. Value is placed on the correct greetings and farewells in addition to other formalism's.
Mythos: The Mythos states that the were cast down from heaven for having dared to attempt to steal from the Gods that walked amoung them. Thus Earth is their prison. But Isa one of the Goddesses felt pity for the humans; and worked with the other Gods to convince them that the Humans lot should be made easier: Thus life blossomed and the humans were promised that in time they could repay their debt and come to join the Gods once again.
Economic Base: Isolation from the main cradle either by harsh mountain roads or long uncertain naval voyages has meant that most economic activity is centered around riverine trade, agriculture and some small amount of aquaculture and mining the nearby mountains for certain metals and stone.
Nation Names: Triad, Thearak, Opios, Piatrata, Khead
Person Names: Ujjayad, Kleaotras, Immajid, Aegotorax, Piathia (female)
Place Names: Isaracia (Ocean), Kotthorn Mountains, River Kiyaj, Ourtian, Iostrian, Whiil, Jiifa.

MAP:

I would like to claim this spot.
Spoiler :

I have the template almost finished but I need to get to sleep so I'll post it in under 24 hours hopefully.

Just as a reminder, the further you start from the cradle of civilization, the smaller and newer your civilization will be. Neverwonagame, the location you took appears to be identical to the one that Masada claimed earlier. While this isn't forbidden (you can have more than one culture in an area), it's not encouraged, either. There is another lovely river delta for either of you at the mouth of the other major river.

EDIT: Haseri, don't worry about being outside of the pink, just understand that you may not appear in a civilized form during the first update. Actually, that goes for people inside the pink as well; the cultures will still exist, but they will not be imperial material yet.

I'm interested

Arta Xorti
Starting Location:
startmap.png
small island in red, to the east.
Society: Society is split in two: the Stadis (fishers) and the Merhlais (herders). The fishers tend to be richer, however all their wealth can be lost very quickly in a storm. They are more likly to be risk takers and adventurous. The herders are poorer, however their standing is more stable. They are more likely to be hard working and cautious. The people arn't limited to these two jobs, but everyone is either from a Stadis family or a Merhlais family. There is little animosity between the two groups, as they both accept their interdependance. Each tribe elects a cheif. There are then two princes, the Stadis-Kap and the Merhlais-Kap.
Lineage: Ambilinial, with the offspring choosing either their father or mother at adulthood.
Values: For the Stadis: bravery, individualism, intelligence
For the Merhlais: hard-work, obedience, strength, endurance
Religion(s): Mystic religion. Following a ancient tradition, every person meditates at dawn every second day. This meditation is continued until one finds Iehor, which is enlightenment. If one finds Iehor one is ready to die, however suicide reverses enlightenment. Many who have found Iehor therefore take up dangerous occupations, such as exploration or military service. There is no organised priesthood, and never will be as it is all individual, however there are special places where meditation is said to be enhanced, and some of those who have found Iehor spread word of how they achieved it.
Language(s): Glin language Somewhat glutteral language spoken very quickly and with a large number of dialects. It has evolved to be easy on the ear and so many words sound the same. A simple conjugaison system with no changes between different persons. There are large differences between different modes. Diphtounges are pronounced as one sound, with many different vowel variations. Nouns are likely to be derrived from verbes describing what the things does. There are very few fomal protocols.
The written language is made up of different shapes representing consonants, with tails attached that represent vowels.
Mythos: They believe that they were once perfectly contented spirits, who played around in the great sky amougst the stars. However the Great Beast came and sucked the Iehor from them one by one. They fell to Earth and were forced to fight to survive. They felt pain and anguish and all the other feelings. They must meditate to once again retrieve their Iehor and drive off the Beast.
Economic Base: It is an economy based on the sea. Fishing, sea trade and herding. They have however developped some artistic handicrafts such as jewellry and glass blowing.
Nation Names: Zirais, Stad Men, Baharr, Leheb
Person Names: Ragellea, Uman, Iggeil, Sab, Re, Ikollhila
Place Names: Twelid, Dar, Xorob, Bahhar, Siefer, Halq (cities); Kbirilma (the sea); Dinyart (the island's name)

The Salgaron

Starting Location:

Society: The usual collection of peoples (nobles, Priests etc attempting to garner power, Despot Trying to stop them and the Poor living on). Women face much more difficult upward social mobility, although a route is open through the priesthood ((Cheers Kal)) Wealth is the main dividor of society.
Lineage: Eldest Child, Parents' Discretion
Values: Money, Achievement, Trust
Religion(s): Animalistic Polythesium. The people beleive in many different, animal based gods. A River snake guards the waters, a cow the god of fertifilty etc.. all rather loosly described, but with "religous leaders" moving in on the act and building temples an thus starting to organise religion a bit more.
Language(s): A simple language in regards to the number of words, but with expression and hand gestures also incorperated quite complex discussions can be had
Mythos: An endless flowing river~like a seed that germinates in the fertile banks, so did the Salgarons. They now ply the river for its bounty, also as numbers grow spreading into the land around it.
Economic Base: Herding, Agriculture, Fishing, Artisanry, Trade
Nation Names: Salgaron, Saragon, Serat, Sulawy, Tinker
Person Names: Akbul Sala, Joaquin Rafael, Ule Metan
Place Names: Saragon, Tynet, Minsk, Salgaron, Senet

Is there a way that I could have my lands moved and chosen for me if I give the criterion for what I am looking for?

By the way I am no slave, Masada.

Uggor

Starting Location:
Society: Families are very important to society of the Uggor. Families can have hundreds of members. All members of a family are expected to love and respect one another. Usaully, a family is dedicated to one thing. Some families are warrior families who protect the other weaker families. Weaker families tend to be farmers or traders.
Lineage: Children are taught to look up to both parents with equal amounts of respect. New borns are given their father's last name and their mother's middle name.
Values: Order. You stick with what kind of family you are in. If you break this rule you are to be considered a member of no family and an outlaw.
Religion(s): Ancestor Worship. Usually each family worships a legendary member of their family. An example would be Gror the Great for the Gloth family. Uggorian people believe they will be able to reach out to mortal world after death and guide their family.
Languages: Many old Uggorian words have been combined and shortened, making the Uggorian language very quick and confusing.
Mythos: Most Uggorians believe that originally that everyone used to be a member of one family, and that that family ruled the entire world. It was so great that everyone in it could do jobs that today would require many families. However, The Great Family began to become greedy and the wealthiest of the Great Family started to enslave their own kin. Still, those who still valued the ties of family fought against the greedy and evil. This great battle shook the very earth and caused much damage. Mountains crumbled and oceans flooded all around the earth as great armies clashed. Soon, the Great Family was shattered and spread around the world. Uggorians hope for the day they can bring back order to the world and re-build the Great Family. However, there is still much different views on how this should be done varying from family to family.
Economic Base: Uggorian economy is based mostly on agriculture. Potery and decorated weapons are also begining to become popular among certain families.
Nation Names: Krado, Loomada, Froz Moti.
Person Names: Gror, Tookoo, Frindo.
Place Names: Goroto, Toodooka, Firidi

Is there a way that I could have my lands moved and chosen for me if I give the criterion for what I am looking for?

Yes. Tell me what you're looking for and I'll tell you where is a good place, or tell you it's not in the current line of sight and give you the closest approximation.

Here's what I want. If it's not possibal I am willing to wait (3 turns at most) and reserve a spot that resembles this the most.

Long narrow shoreline
Hill/Mountain chain near the shoreline
Mainly semi arid/savanna but also Mediterranean
Natural Harbor

Here's what I want. If it's not possibal I am willing to wait (3 turns at most) and reserve a spot that resembles this the most.

Long narrow shoreline
Hill/Mountain chain near the shoreline
Mainly semi arid/savanna but also Mediterranean
Natural Harbor

Something like the border region between semiarid and savannah on the eastern shore of the main southern peninsula? Admittedly it's not terribly long, but you're unlikely to get anything longer in the next three turns of exploration.

Farou
Starting Location:
Society: Faroun society is quite egalitarian and community based. There is a strong sense of connection between the population, possibly as a result of our historical existence as a slave race in the early empires. We have a royalty, though we typically don't tolerate those who would look down upon us, so there is a trend of uppity leadership getting overthrown. Thus, our current rulers are quite closely tied into many of our families, by blood and marriage.
Lineage: Eldest Child, Parents' Discretion
Values: Community, Family, Hospitality
Religion(s): We Faroun believe in reincarnation, fate, and the existence of two mysterious races- the guardians of the earth, who reside in the mountain peaks, and the guardians of the sea, who dwell within deep, underwater grottoes. They are responsible for the ending of the trees, the care of the fishes, and the stability of the world. They must always be respected, lest they grow angry.
Language(s): Farouese is a very smooth language, with many complex vowel sounds and soft consonants. It is fairly loosely structured, though there is typically a subject-object-action order in sentences. The written form of the Farou language uses a simple alphabet, typically carved into clay. The letters consist of a system of dots and straight lines.
Mythos: As far back as we can recall, we were an oppressed population of slaves. However, many generations ago, we stood together and overthrew our oppressors, escaping in a great march to a land of freedom. We cast off our old names, becoming the Faroun, or Free People. Coming across a fertile coastline, we settled, declaring our nation 'Farou'. Since then, we have resisted all attempts to destroy us, and accepted many fleeing their own lands.
Economic Base: Herding, Agriculture, Fishing, Mining, Artisanry, Trade
Nation Names: Farou, Saouva, Hiaowai, Sayfo, Marouaou
Person Names: Hiro Sikaiei, Falouei Sirof, Gaero Koef, Haefa Rafin
Place Names: Farou, Salei, Baeiowia, Felof, Reafo

This map has all the locations selected by others, up until now, shown as red dots. I will choosse the yellow dot location for my yet to be named nation.

Attachments

• NK map start.png
    NK map start.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 293
NK, is there anything missing from our cultures that we might reasonably expect to be available? bonze, iron, horses, writing etc?

NK, is there anything missing from our cultures that we might reasonably expect to be available? bonze, iron, horses, writing etc?

As we start from the beginning, expecting iron and even bronze is not advisable. Horses exist; writing will probably appear on the first turn, though it assuredly will take a while to develop. Crops and domesticated animals include most of the Old World stock.

I'm un-in; I'm feeling rather lazy over the summer as the year winds down. Maybe I'll join later.

Top Bottom