New Unit Review Notifications

What ever happened to that person who was going to redo the airplanes? Even provided a nice picture of the upgrade paths. Didn't have seaplanes in it though.

Incident Dave went though most of the units. Then I reviewed his stuff and had ls612 chnage stuff however Incident Dave's document was not always clear and ls612 did not always do everything I requested correctly.

He tried though but it was a combo of unit tags not matching names and the fact we also the Orion's Aviation mod confusing things a bit. For instance here is a list of tags.

Anywho overall Incident Dave really helped to sort out the units into more generic grouping. And ls612 helped a lot considering how confusing it was. However before Vokarya left he redid most of the tech tree, which moved them around. Overall for the better but it also made a lot of units mixed up.

In short Orion's Aviation Mod + Incident Dave's Ideas + My Interpretations + ls612's XML Work + Vokarya's Tech Shuffling = Crazy Mixed Up Units. Not to mention any other stuff that has been done to them since then such as TB's Combat Mod stuff or their orginal state from RoM/AND.

EDIT: Here is Incident Dave's suggestions ...

Seaplane
Historically, seaplanes were used on many capital ships, but usually only as spotters for their guns before invention of RADAR. This unit represents armed seaplanes that were experimented with, but AFAIK never widely adopted. It also serves as a predecessor to the Prop Naval Fighter.
Suggestion: upgrades into Prop Naval Fighter
Stats: Strength 20, Range 4, Chance to intercept Aircraft 25%, 5% damage to city defenses, +100% vs ships, can perform Carrier operations

Sounds like this unit can be transported by battleships and Destroyers. It would be really helpful to find targets but it would be much better when ships had their movement points greatly reduced.

Sounds like this unit can be transported by battleships and Destroyers. It would be really helpful to find targets but it would be much better when ships had their movement points greatly reduced.

That being the case, simply opening up Battleships and Destroyers to develop 'carrier' space for these units by giving them access to the Seaplane Transport promo would certainly make things interesting there. (And a good representation of historical accuracy.)

Seaplanes WOULD, however, become something you'd never want to lose the ability to build unless you did something about that (such as my next paragraph) but if Seaplanes can never really improve beyond their first base unit type it would still make sense, particularly historically. In a sense, they're like an idea that was good at the time but when the carrier was invented that seemingly brilliant idea with a grand future for warfare application became completely moot.

To make it more possible to represent that the entire concept was fairly quickly obsoleted, we should also cause the Seaplane Transport promo to obsolete at some point which would create a blessed relief for the battleships and such units that had taken the promo before since there's no good version of a seaplane after a number of techs down the road have made them nearly useless. Once obsolete, the promotions would be lost to those ships causing the boats to lose the ability (and its penalties) and be able to retrain those promos. (If we do this I MAY have to make another promotion prerequisite count towards the 'can keep' check... the one that enables a promo to require the unit to have an existing and valid cargo hold capacity.)

I digress into too much complexity but part of this is to remind myself of details I'll need to remember to make updates to. Hope y'all can follow my train of thought for what you'd need to get seaplanes setup properly.

Nah, I don't think an obsoleting promo is the right way to go here... They went obsolete because the Radar was invented. So probably Seaplanes should only have a Range of 1 and once Radar is invented, all Ships get a free Radar promotion that increase their visibly range by 2. This would basically obsolete Seaplanes naturally.

Obsoletion due to recognition that there's no further need to outfit your units a particular way is a perfectly valid cause to obsolete. You just nailed the appropriate tech to obsolete it at though.

But it has no reason to go obsolete if there is not a better system available. Just you invented Radar doesn't mean your ships HAVE it, so those who haven't it would still have a perfect reason to load seaplanes.

Added new units:
Droid Infantry, Android Infantry, Droid Tank, Stealth Gunship
in main UnitInfos.xml

I'm not happy with their UnitCombats - in particular I think the Transhumans have more armament types than they should - but I'm not familiar enough with them (neither the units nor the unitcombats:lol:) to do more than I did...

Added new unit: Clone Infantry

I have put the Food Merchants back in. They are in Modules/DancingHoskuld/TradeMerchant with the file names starting with Food.

Thanks DH... do they still have all the combat classes I'd given them before?

@SO: I'd like to officially request to make a few adjustments to the Ambusher. There's a few issues here to consider:
1) He's currently equipped with a Shortbow and given the Archery combat class... I'd like to change this since he can come into play before the Archery tech is unlocked. Can we make him a little more savage feel and give him a Blowgun? Artistically this could mean it would help to give him a makeover so that his model is the same base as a Carib Blowgunner rather than an Archer but equally transparent would be cool still.

2)This means I also want to give him the Throwing combat class since Blowguns have fallen into that range more appropriately than Archer.

3)This means that eventually I'd re-evaluate his abilities a bit to bring him more in-line with other throwing class unit progressions - mostly a matter of withdrawal and early withdrawal which I think would be perfect for this unit anyhow.

4)I'd like to change it so that a Rogue can upgrade to an Ambusher rather than the other way around as it is now. Rogues are easier to get into play imo and...

5)I'd like to increase his base strength (iCombat) to 4. This makes him clearly a better attacker than a Rogue and shows a little more of the progression from Rogue to Assassin if he's been unlocked for a civ. Rogues have some abilities that Ambushers don't but combatatively they're pretty equal at the moment making it tough to know which one you want. Rogues can still pillage which Ambushers can't do but that continues to make them useful even if Ambushers are better at... well... ambushing.

Would these adjustments be all ok with you?

Sorry no, because I had lost that version and had to go back to an earlier version. Nor did I copy the ones from the merchant caravans which are in the same folder.

Any idea which SVN revision# they were removed at? I could easily draw them back from there...

Top Bottom