Axis Powers Hetalia: The Night Italy went Crazy

Midnight-Blue766

The filidh that cam frae Skye
Mod: Axis Powers Hetalia
Leader/Civ: Italy
Difficulty: Noble
Map: Hemispheres
Size: Large

Thanks to the fact that I don't really play much Civ nowadays and when I do, I try to play a peaceful game, I had never really fought an offensive war. When I did, I would usually WB lots of units.

For my most recent game, I decided to play as Italy/Feliciano Vargas in the Axis Powers Hetalia mod, as I very recently began to watch the series (a decision which I'm probably going to regret in the near future). Now, the character Italy in Hetalia is probably the textbook definition of The Ditz trope, and thus the Laws of Irony dictated that I should win a Conquest Victory.

Chapter 1: the Conquest of Japan

There was fortunately a deposit of Copper not too far from the Capital, and I sent my first Settler to build a city there. My next city was by an Iron deposit (which in retrospect was not the greatest idea, since I wound up using only 1).

Some time had passed, and I decided to declare war on Japan, since he/it was the closest civ to me at the time, Kyoto was also one of the most prosperous cities, and to top it off, Japan at the time probably only had less than 6 military units!

Osaka was anticlimactically easy; all it took was 2 Axemen (one of which died in the process). Kyoto, however, was much more difficult; by the time my "Stack of Doom" arrived by its outskirts, it had a 60% Cultural Defence and 3 Archers. I then decided to pillage some nearby improvements whilst reinforcements arrived. I did make some attempts to storm the streets of Kyoto, but they were miserable failures.

And arrived they did: I eventually had a SoD consisting of no less than 14 Axemen and 2 Spearmen (which is probably unimpressive for an experienced player). The climatic Battle of Kyoto saw about 5 Axemen and 1 Spearman of them being killed, while the entire garrison of 5 Archers and 1 Chariot was destroyed. Honda Kiku (AKA Japan) was smart enough to build a new settlement to flee to, but was quickly razed by the same Axemen that conquered Kyoto. And lo: I even managed to get a Great General in the process! However, just as I was poised to take the last Japanese city, a Japanese Archer and Chariot managed to take back Kyoto. Unfortunately for the Japanese Resistance though, the city was taken the next turn.

The Battle of Tokyo consisted of 2 (or was it 3?) Archers on the defending side and 7 Axemen and 6 Swordsman lead by General Charles Martel on the attacking. Most of the Archers were wounded in the initial wave, while the next wave, led by Martel himself, was successful in completely destroying the settlement.

I eventually disbanded the majority of my army while I wait as my economy needs to heal and I advance enough to take out the next civilization...

Commentary:
Japan was utterly doomed from the start. As I mentioned before, they/he only had about 1 or 2 units garrisoning his cities. He also had absolutely no Copper or Iron either (but he did have Horses, which explains the Chariot), and their/his sole military victory was undone the next turn. Even FRANCE (who declared war on me the same turn I declared war on Japan), which/who was on the other side of the continent and was separated from me by Hungary, posed more of a threat than Japan (what happened was a kamikaze French Warrior came up to the Copper mine and pillaged it... :mad:). My next conquest will probably be America, as they/he threatened me on several occasions. This will not be easy, though, as a look at the WB shows that the average American city has about 5-6 Population in them and is garrisonned by 3 units, which are probably either Swordsmen or Axemen.
Spoiler :

Figure 1.01: Italy and environs before the Italo-Japanese War.

Spoiler :

Figure 1.02: Italy and environs after the Italo-Japanese War.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0160.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0160.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 484
  • Civ4ScreenShot0161.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0161.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 488
i just google'd Axis Powers Hetalia :eek: is that for real?

What, my story or the franchise?

franchise, i liked the story though :)

I recommend Multi-Player, just remember to garrison your cities and strategic positions with a crapton of units all the time.

Some observations on my neighbours:

• America/Alfred F Jones: Like Russia, he will probably be a threat in the future. However, he is the second most strongest neighbour and at least 3 techs ahead of me. Must watch.
  • Austria/Roderich Edelstein: Definitely in my top list of next invasions: between 800 and 1140, they/he sent out several settlers to build settlements in the hinterland created when I conquered Japan, containing several valubale resources. If not the entire country, then Villach and Hall (the two cities) must be taken ASAP.
  • England/Arthur Kirkland: Not much of a threat, though he may be overexpanding close to me.
  • France/Francis Bonnefoy: An underestimated threat. Although he only sent Warriors against me in the past, they have done much damage (from pillaging tiles to capturing workers) thanks to my inability to take them seriously. Recently sent a SoD against me. He also manage to take a Barbarian settlement not too far from Florence that I neglected to conquer due to the lack of a threat.
  • Hungary/Elizabeta Hedevary: Traded techs with me. I'm planning to sign Open Borders with her in order to invade France. However, I am annoyed that she's letting France pass through her borders in order to attack my cities...
  • Russia/Ivan Braginski: Will probably be a threat later on. I haven't been surveilling Russia much, as he isn't much of a threat as of this moment. However, he will likely be filling in the power vacuum left by Austria. Recently declared war on said country.

Thus, here is my revised 'to invade' list:

1. Austria
  2. America
  3. France
  4. England
  5. Hungary
  6. Russia

Note: England and Hungary are equally likely candidates for invasion.

Yes, how about you invade America first? They seem shifty :p
(All in good humour, it'd be funny to see it in alphabetical, nobody take offence...)

Aaaugh... I finally decided to quit after Russia declared war on me before I had an adequate army.... I think I'll start again once I actually know how to wage war competently.

Aaaugh... I finally decided to quit after Russia declared war on me before I had an adequate army.... I think I'll start again once I actually know how to wage war competently.
Ironically, they were last on your 'to invade' list :D

Top Bottom