CiV.1.DOS. | Scenario / Savegame: EARTH 2

I am not complaining it is too easy. Yes, the first civs I encountered were small, which is not what I heard from other players. In my game, however, the Americans are always ahead of me in technology and they have large cities (over 10). They will be the biggest problem. I haven't found the Aztecs but they keep attacking me from ships that pass my coastlines. I've lost at least one settler and some cities were damaged. I believe there are other civs I haven't met. I'm finding it hard to keep up with the astronomical growth of my cities. I have to hold them back because I don't have the necessary city improvements (temples, cathedrals, collesiums) to keep them happy. I'm sure this will be a challenging enough game for me. I've never played for population, so I don't know what to do, so I'm playing just like I normally would, which probably isn't optimal.

Edit: Yep. The Americans have a dozen cities of pop 10-17 with city walls. That will be a challenge. They also are building wonders at a rate of about one every 4-5 turns! Strange thing is I established an embassy with them and they keep offering me techs the embassy tells me they don't know. Also found the Aztecs. They are like the Americans but with lower technology. Each has total domination of a continent. But this looks like all the time I can spend on the game this weekend. I hope to finish it up over the week or next weekend.

Alex Johnson said:
... ...
I've never played for population, so I don't know what to do, so I'm playing just like I normally would, which probably isn't optimal.
try again with republic first (as fast as)
build marketplace, bank, colosseum first
j.s.bach and michelangelo & cathedrals as fast as (while conquering the french - yes it's tricky)
stop cities before "19" should lead into the right direction... ;)

Alex Johnson said:
... ...The Americans have a dozen cities of pop 10-17 with city walls. That will be a challenge. They also are building wonders at a rate of about one every 4-5 turns! Strange thing is I established an embassy with them and they keep offering me techs the embassy tells me they don't know.
this is interesting.
SAVE THiS!!! (maybe a bug!)
please give us all here this savegame!!!

I don't think I can give you the save game. The Americans and I are at war, so they aren't offering me Democracy and Atomic Theory any more. If we return to peace, then I will post the save game.

Very good game. New York pop 17 with city walls and musketeers and not on a coast...impossible to take so far. I'm finding it hard to get money, too since I have to hurry so many city improvements to prevent civil disorder. If I could get enough money I'd bribe the city. Pop 17 would make a huge difference to my population!

BTW, to confirm what others saw...in this game the romans sent a diplomat into one of my cities. I don't know what he did. Probably established embassy. I didn't like it, so I rushed 3 knights and sacked Rome. (He was one of those civs that appears late in the game so only 1 city.)

Good progress up to 1AD. Stopped at 1000AD. No progress between 1AD and 1000AD because of war with America and Aztecs. Managed to take two major cities only to lose them later. :wallbash: They sneak attack me and break treaties...just like me! :mad:

Prince Level results
Entry withdrawn as the entrant could not read simple instructions - dack
_______
I use the settler cheat on the three mines near London and Coventry, and that was it for cheats nothing else. Went for mapmaking took a settler and a militia and founded BIRMINGHAM. Kept triremes is search mode, blocked the French with a militia. Founded DOVER & NOTTINGHAM (Nottingham was destroyed by barbarians). I captured Moscow and founded York. Used those 6 cities to build mostly catapults and a few chariots. A knight later on just to look for other civs.

Stayed in despotism it allows fairly large armies with minimal fuss.

prince 1160bc
Pop 1,740,00
score 1816
civ rating 108%

Zip file contains all auto save files, a replay.txt
civil0.map & sve is my last move before the end.

Dack, you beat the game pretty fast, but did you not notice the goal is not to win as early as possible? A lot of people are posting results but not following the rules of the competition.

Goal = largest population in 1750AD

This requires a different set of skills than conquest, which is why it should be fun for people who prefer higher difficulty games. If you want a high population, maybe you don't want to be at war early in the game...you want to be expanding and building city improvements that help you manage the growth.

Killing everyone in a prince game in 1160BC = impressive.
Total population of 1,740,000 = unimpressive.

^ Hm. Okay, I'll shoot for this, then! With so many threads on this subject, it's hard to figure out just what's going on here...

The deadline is the end of the month, right?

Alex Johnson said:
Dack, ... did you not notice the goal is not to win as early as possible? A lot of people are posting results but not following the rules of the competition...

Sorry, I have withdrawn my entry.
I think I'm still dazed by the diplomat sighting.

Yes, sorry. I don't keep a lot of savegames. The American trade offers were right after 1AD when I met them. I then went to war a few hundred years later and have been fighting them for several hundred years. All my save games are part of the war.

I'm experiencing problems I've never seen before. Civ isn't saving any autosave games at 3000BC, 2000BC, etc. I think it doesn't autosave if you delete the civil#.sve files.

actually i went to the pc-pool in the university (have no connection to internet at home), and were completely fed up with that F******G game on max population:mad: .

im in 440BC with 80.8 million people and im playing for about 40 hours now.

i even thought about never coming back to gotq, i found it senseless, stupid. but theres no way out of civ1, i had an idea to handle that much work easier, when i was already on my way.

and as i dont wanna have left home for nothing i will post the saves.

View attachment CIVIL2.txt
View attachment CIVIL2.Sav

again for the rest, thats NOT my save i want to be counted in the list. its just for fun, for anybody who is interessted in my actual standing of the gotq´s-game!!!

80 cities, nearly 80 settlers, no real enemy left (2 small cities), and as i already posted i stoped the settler cheating after 1 third or less of the work was already done, i stoped save-cheating i dont know when but i stoped (as result the barbarians took a city of mine:cry: ) so lets see how i will finish that game (if i ever will!! :goodjob: )

akaneda said:
actually i went to the pc-pool in the university (have no connection to internet at home), and were completely fed up with that ... game on max population ...

im in 440BC with 80.8 million people and im playing for about 40 hours now.
... ...
maybe you should (better) play in the

The SPACE RACE CONTEST: Go For ALPHA CENTAURi

the SPACERACE contest
is about 'develop knowledge as fast as possible'
and
carniflex and kirilov did very well
so this might be a challenge for you?

Alex Johnson said:
Wow. Im not in your league. I'm not close to winning, it's 1100AD and I've got about 15M people. I have used no cheats.

its not the question cheating or not. if u take the save u ll see that i control about 99,9% of the usefull squares. and if u consult the replay (by just smashing the last two cities) ull see that i had the whole world as my play ground since 2000BC. and i belief there is no prob to do even better if u realy want, i played a bit easygoin in many points.

a bit of my strategies: i took paris at 3400BC or stuff (defended just by militia), knowing that it will become harder the more i wait. so anything i did till then was develoding alphabet, mapmaking and horsebackriding. thats it.

in europe i found two more cavalries: AND JUST THOSE THREE TOOK MOSCOW, SAMARKAND AND SIMBABWE. thats why i had neerly no loses. with sails, chariots, catapults and already about 15 or 20 cities i took the americans and theben. i lost 3 units at all.

the rest was building cities handle barbarians and irrigate, build roads, irrigate, roads, railroads, irrigate ....:sad: but maybe these results are an effect of my german thoroughness :D (maybe i should mention that clearly: thats just cynicism :goodjob: )

and for all who say :eek: to 80 mio in 440BC: no, i wanna blame noone a loser. but to me civ1 is a game with straight rules and if u follow u can beat anything within that game, thats all. reading the faq can be usefull to that point.

That's where cheats come in useful. I know you said you used some cheats. Cheats can help you achieve this high score:
* you lose a battle, reload. Then you only need 1-3 military units to conquer the world and you can focus your production on meaningful things like more settlers and buildings.
* you get barbarians instead of tech from a goody hut, then you reload. Never face enemies and risk your troops. Always get tech faster than humanly possible if you had 100% science.
* you don't need to work unimproved land. Your settler can irrigate, mine, and build railroads in a single turn, meaning you need fewer of them and can build cities with the rest.
* full-map cheat shows you where everything is and you can avoid the other civs or cut them off. You can build your cities in the optimal location in the minimum time without having to explore. You can get your military to their other cities in the minimum time where regular players have to fight the one city they know and then explore to find the other cities, which are growing and building military the whole time.

Prince isn't that hard, but I find it very unlikely that a game without cheating could be played and fighting all those civs you only lose 3 units. Even in the very eary time killing france I lost that many units. And barbarians killed as many. Against the Americans I must have lost 50 units and the war is only half over. Using cheats could give you a huge advantage over non-cheaters in the ways I've described...and possibly more.

The Americans are a tough nation to war against. I know I'm going to have to fight them soon..

Alex Johnson said:
... ...
I find it very unlikely that a game without cheating could be played and fighting all those civs you only lose 3 units. Even in the very eary time killing france I lost that many units. And barbarians killed as many. Against the Americans I must have lost 50 units and the war is only half over. Using cheats could give you a huge advantage over non-cheaters in the ways I've described...and possibly more.
well said.

in a game without savegame cheat
with a little poor luck
the barbarians come along some turns later and smash LONDON.
END OF GAME.

Alex Johnson said:
That's where cheats come in useful. I know you said you used some cheats. Cheats can help you achieve this high score:

Prince isn't that hard, but I find it very unlikely that a game without cheating could be played and fighting all those civs you only lose 3 units. Even in the very eary time killing france I lost that many units. And barbarians killed as many. Against the Americans I must have lost 50 units and the war is only half over. Using cheats could give you a huge advantage over non-cheaters in the ways I've described...and possibly more.

yes i used some cheats. i used savegame cheat for some of the huts, i think 7 or 8, ok lets say 10 if u want. but NEVER for any fight!! paris had a citysize of 2. samarkand, simbabwe and moscow of 3, all defended by 1 militia when i took it!! acteks had tenochtitlan and 1 undefended city. and americans had 4 cities 2 of them also UNDEFENDED at citysize 1!! i killed 9 units at all (7 militia, 2 phallanx i think) i would have needed not more than 5-6 units at all.

i just build about 40 units to search the rest of the world as fast as possible to find their respawns just to change to republic as early as possible. when i had found i disbanded all military units. i had no single settler build any road or stuff till then and no single building in any city ==>science 100%!!!

and as i said i used settlercheat for lets say 1000 years (i dont remember when i stopped, it was when pikachu and goldberg were discussing about that point). i had not more than maybe one third or half of europe been irrigated and builded roads and already managed about 20 settlers. afterwards (when stopped settlercheat), i managed about 75!!

i never used any other cheat, and as i already said i lost one city to the barbarians!!! that to the savecheating :D !!!

u can reach such results completely without cheating, i swear!! ;)

GoldBerg said:
well said.

in a game without savegame cheat
with a little poor luck
the barbarians come along some turns later and smash LONDON.
END OF GAME.

and then?????

u start the next game. isnt that similar to save cheat!!

but i abet the argument "why to cheat if ur good enough to stand the competition without?"
i completely stopped cheating since goldbergs and pikachus discussion about that stuff!!:goodjob:

akaneda said:
and then?????

u start the next game. isnt that similar to save cheat!!
exactly.
my thoughts since a month and more.
i always told: let's savegame cheat, accept settlercheat, get real.
but look what they've done to my song.

akaneda said:
"why to cheat if ur good enough to stand the competition without?"
i completely stopped cheating since goldbergs and pikachus discussion about that stuff!!
really.
at last it's better for the soul to play the game as it is concepted to get the most entertainment out of it...

Top Bottom