Earth map, 18 civs, a story of a persian leader

The truthsayers decided that 3 cavalry had to be enough support for the troops that laid siege to Sankt Petersburg. The remaining 2 cavalry were directed to Paris, to form the core of the defensive line against the approaching English invasion army. Two longbow men from towns in South Europe and two mace men (Paris and Madrid were building one each) should back them up. This surely wasn’t enough to destroy any bigger invasion army, but it should be enough to protect the city of Paris from the English. Pillaged land improvements were a loss that had to be calculated.

The cavalry that were sent to Sankt Petersburg managed to arrive just in time. Wave after wave of attacker’s crashed upon them, but they held their position in the forest near Sankt Petersburg, where the European Division of the Great Persian Army (EDGPA) was fighting for surviving. When the Russian catapults arrived, our losses were huge, but the truthsayers held their position. Additionally, the truthsayers announced throughout the whole Persian nation, that the position near Sankt Petersburg and the city of Hamburg hat to be held by all means.

The production and the commerce all over Persia began to stagnate from the year 1175 a.d. on, because all efforts and money had to be directed to the war against our mighty (and many…) foes. Troops were raised in all cities that were able to do so within less then 8 turns.

To back up our EDGPA even more, all available troops from India were directed to Europe. There were altogether 8 cavalry and 3 catapults that I had still left under my command. Just as we passed Persepolis, we got the news that a Russian invasion army has entered our territory via India. Since it only contained of 4 knights, 2 mace men and 2 pike men, they were fought of easily, without any losses from our side.

Bad news in this was that now we knew that India was also helping Russia in their war against us. Even Qin signed a peace treaty with India and refused to help us against Russia. He also refused to cancel his open border agreement with Russia. Nevertheless, I still kept to my decision and directed all my troops to Sankt Petersburg (worked for India, will work for Russia…). Just when we reached Pasagarde, we met one of the truthsayers there. He informed me, that I must leave at least 2 cavalry behind to be able to defend Persepolis. Since I didn’t want to quarrel with him (they new nothing of strategic warfare), I did as he begged and sent 2 of them back…

On our way to the Russian border, more Persian reinforcements arrived and we were able to form another 3 battalions of cavalry. Then, on the 11 of June in 1185, when I just entered Russian territory, the news reached me that the Russian had broken through the lines of the EDGPA. With my army still two days march away from Sankt Petersburg we could do nothing but to hurry. It was the 12 of June 1185, at about noon, after more then 30 years of fighting in the forests near Sankt Petersburg, when the EDGPA was finally utterly defeated (sad but true, my reinforcements should arrive to late by one whole turn…).

I was told later, that two battalions of our catapults held out until the very end, but they had no chance, as you can see in the following picture (before the Russian attack)…

Pic 46: last stand of EDGPA 1180 a.d.:

pic. 46_1180 a.d. Last Stand EDGPA.GIF

In the end, we had lost in the fight for Sankt Petersburg 6 cavalry, 8 swordsmen, 3 catapults and most of the truthsayers (and still weren’t able to take the city...). At least, most of the cities the fortifications had been destroyed during the fight.

When some of the surviving truthsayers joined my army, they dared to blame me for this failure. I had given them the command of the EDGPA, they get it destroyed and then they blame me (OK, I ordered the advance on Sankt Petersburg but how could I know that Russia had about one million of troops… … ups, I had forgotten about the one billion of horse archers only waiting to be upgraded…).

When they stopped shouting at me after several hours, they told me, that they had destroyed about 30 to 40 Russian battalions before they got defeated, mainly containing of catapults and knights and that scouts have just reported that more Russian troops are heading south from Moscow. It seemed like Kathy was about to transfer all troops from her eastern border cities (the ones she had captured from Dschingis) towards Sankt Petersburg.

Then we went together through my troop records which said:

9 battalions of cavalry (2 lightly injured, 2 injured)
nothing else (the catapults weren’t able to keep up in the rush towards Sankt Petersburg)

With 3 more battalion of cavalry arriving from Europe (thanks to slavery) and one stationed in Hamburg (lightly injured), the count was 13 cavalry for us, against the remaining defenders in Sankt Petersburg (see picture above, altogether 12 Russian units, most more or less injured).

With some of the cities fortification still intact and with no catapults left on our side, the chances to win this battle were about equal (with enormous losses on both sides, no matter who would win...). Still the truthsayers told me, that we must attack now, because we had no reinforcements left and that we would surely loose this battle, if we would allow the Russian reinforcements to arrive.

Just when the truthsayers and I were about to order the attack on Sankt Petersburg, more bad news arrived:

Mansa had declared war on us and was advancing with 4 mace men, two pike men and two catapults on Tarsus or Barcelona. We had no troops there, no money to upgrade our bowmen to longbow men and Barcelona was directly near Mansas cultural border (only thing we had, and only to use in case of emergency, was a big big ugly guy with a huge whip) …

Pic 47: Mansa advances 1185 a.d.:

pic. 47_1185 a.d. Mansa advances.GIF

Hearing this, the truthsayers decided that the attack of Sankt Petersburg had to be delayed (or even cancelled) and we sat to council once more. I must admit, that this was the time, when the feeling was growing stronger and stronger in me, that we got driven more and more in a mainly defensive role in this war.

see you soon,

Snaaty

Only just found this story - but I'll be reading it from now on. Well done Snaaty, it's very entertaining!

Only just found this story - but I'll be reading it from now on. Well done Snaaty, it's very entertaining!

Thank you and welcome to this thread chopstyx.

BTW

Think I will be able to finish the last part of this chapter tomorrow or the day after (looking forward to actually play a little more of this game)

As far as I`m now, it looks like the truthsayers are already working out a plan to "remove" the brave (but incometent) emperor from his post as high gereral. Chances are good that this will turn the battle again in favour of the Persian...

dum didum dida

see you soon,

Snaaty

Secret truthsayers meeting (near Sankt Petersburg):

“Umh, oldest one, tell me again, why we can’t get rid of him”

“Because the books say that the ancient truthsayers already discussed this matter about 1000 years ago and concluded that there is no way and that it is our fate to live with him…”

“Yea, but the trick with the holidays, couldn’t we try this one again?”

“No chance, since generations of truthsayers have used trick, we now have to face the fact that he has been already everywhere, sometimes even twice…”

“Any ideas?”

“Perhaps, I have been at a barbeque party with some foreign truthsayers, and one from England told me, that their live is much easier now, since their Queen does something they call -hobby-.”

“Aren’t we at war with the English?”

“Yea, but since the forming of the worldwide truthsayers association, we all take great profit from the worldwide truthsayers immunity status.”

“That’s a good thing.”

“Yes, indeed”

“But oldest one, when we are cooperating so closely with all the foreign truthsayers, why are we telling our people, that all the other countries are evil?”

“That’s a good question son, and I know a very good answer, but let’s first go back to the -hobby- thing.”

“If I got it right, a -hobby- is a completely non productive sort of work that you do on a regular basis with the intention of getting better every day.”

“But why should anybody do such a thing?”

“We don’t know, but when it works in England, it will surely work in Pesia”

“How exactly is it called?”

“Golf”

“Ok, then lets give it a try”

“Sorry for my question, but didn’t the emperor actually do a quite good job with the war in India?”

“No, he didn’t. The Indian had altogether 9 longbow men and 2 pike men defending all their cities, all wounded after numerous Chinese raids and still he managed to loose 2 cavalry and 1 catapult. With 10 cavalry, 5 knights and 4 catapults, even one of our new pigeons would have done a better job.”

Yea, I also agree. We will all die here, when we continue like he planed…”

“Oh”

“Do we actually know where our troops in India died then?”

“Nobody knows, they just seemed to disappear”

In the jungle, somewhere near Delhi:

“Hey seargeant, lets make something to eat”

“We have only 2 catapults left, so we will be running out of firewood soon”

“How many horses do we have left?”

“4 and a half”

“That’s OK to me”

“Does anybody know why the emperor said we should wait here?”

“No”

“Nop”

“No”

“Who cares…?”

“Then get the catapults and the horses, I get the grill”

We continued our emergency meeting near Sankt Petersburg shortly after the truthsayers finished their internal discussion. I was surprised a little by the friendly atmosphere in which the talking continued. When one of the truthsayers suddenly brought up the thing with building a “Golf Course” near Persepolis, I wondered a little, but since Elisabeth seemed to have such an important thing (what ever it was) I agreed at once to supervise this priority one project and then to test it myself. I left for Persepolis the same day. I only had to sign some papers to turn the command of the army to the truthsayers (the strange thing was that they already had prepared all the papers in advance (how could they know???)).

First good news I heard when I reached Persepolis was that thanks to 2 cavalry heading for Africa and some whipping (2 cavalry more), the advance from Mansa could be stopped. After he lost his initial attacking force, he never again sent any troops near our territory…

Some time later the news reached me that English forces had indeed landed near Paris in 1185 a.d..

English invasion:

pic. 48_1185 a.d. English invasion.GIF

But with our defending army of 2 cavalry, 2 mace men, and 2 longbow men, the truthsayers were able to drive them back.

I also heard, that Kathy had mad a fatal mistake. The truthsayers, who foolishly divided our army in several stacks and used 2 workers as bait (what a stupid idea), had managed somehow to drag half of the defenders out of Sankt Petersburg and to take the city with only a few losses.

Sankt Petersburg captured 1185 a.d.:

pic. 49_1185 a.d. Sankt Petersburg captured.GIF

All Kathy’s attempts to retake the city failed, two stacks of her reinforcements were completely destroyed (altogether 15 Russian units; the truthsayers lost only 4 battalions of cavalry).

Shortly after this, the news reached me, that Persia was now worldwide in the third place concerning army strength. The truthsyers told me that they thought Persia had overtaken Kathy in army strength after the massacre of her troops near Sankt Petersburg. They also told me, that now only Qin and Monty had more military then Persia.

Elisabeth also seemed to have read this report, because she offered a peace treaty the same year…

So the truthsayers decided to use the whip a little more, filled our cavalry up again to 15 battalions and when the 3 battalions of catapults from India finally arrived, they advanced further into Russian territory.

Jekaterinburg and Rostow taken in 1220 a.d.:

pic. 50_1220 a.d. Jekaterinburg and Rostow taken.GIF

1225 a.d. the truthsayers finally fought of Kathy’s last effort to launch a counterattack. 6 Russian battalions of knights were brought down by 4 Persian battalions of cavalry near Pasagarde. Some land improvements got pillaged and the truthsayers lost 3 battalions of cavalry, but still it seemed a great victory to them.

When the truthsayers took Moscow, the last resistance of Kathy was broken.

Moscow captured 1240 a.d.:

pic. 51_1240 a.d. Moscow captured.GIF

They agreed finally to a peace treaty with Kathy in 1260 a.d., after they had taken all her European and West-Asian cities. Instead of all the faults that they were making during their war campaign, it seemed that finally my good preparations and my tactical advices had helped them to win this war in the end (as I told them).

Europe and West-Asian 1260 a.d.:

pic. 52_1260 a.d. Europe and West-Asian.GIF

Another revolution swept through Persia about the time the Russian war approached the end and our civics changed to Free Speech and Emancipation.
…

see you soon,

Snaaty

Move to America!

Move to America!

Moving to America is a great idea, but it comes too late (since I already played the next turn set this weekend…).

I will go there, but like always, it is good to keep the best for last. Monty will be indeed a challenge; since he was able to bring his research up somehow and equals now mine (I managed to fall back behind China thanks to the long Russian war…).

Revenge…

After conquering the Indian subcontinent and taking about a third of Kathy’s cities, I thought that Persia could now only be threatened by the Chinese and/or the Aztec, or again by a large coalition of minor foes. To prevent this, I decided that an example had to be made, concerning all who joined in the previous war against Persia.

This directly led to thee major tasks:

1. Securing our borders in Europe (England and Germany)

2. Securing our borders in Africa (Malines and Egypt)

3.Elimination of some minor countries that are hostile towards us as soon as possible to prevent being sucked into a world war via alliances (Rome and India)

Having played some more turns, I can therefore already tell you that the next 5 threads will be:

- What to do about Frederick?
- Inflicting some wars
- Visiting the Island (and playing some golf)
- Going to Madagascar
- Uniting Africa

Things were going quite good in the beginning for Persia and I thought of this game already more or less won…

But towards the end of this turn set, it became quite clear that I mad a big mistake. China, Russia, Mongolia and Japan had formed a secret alliance against me (I had completely forgotten to check on this in time…).

Since I felt superior I hadn’t produced any additional units. Still our army contained only of 15 cavalry and 4 catapults and our borderland cities were only defended by 2 units each (and 2 additional mobile units for every 2 borderland cities station between them).

When I finally checked the army statistics again, I found myself suddenly severely outnumbered. We had dropped back on the 5th place in army strength.

When Japan, China and Mongolia all cancelled their open border agreements with Persia (Russia never had one) within 2 turns I finally realised the trouble ahead (hope it is not to late…). At this point, China alone had about 4 or 5 stacks of 10+ units patrolling our border, and, taking a closer look, I see, guess what, yea, TANKS within these stacks.

How the hell did they get tanks when I still don’t have the technology for tanks yet (hm, maybe because I thought I was far ahead in technology, never checked the other nations and focused a little too much on expansion and economy)…

But on the other side, no matter if Persia should win or not, I think that this could lead to a great ending for a great game. It seems that all goes down to a big world war, were Persia will have to take on all the remaining nations…

see you soon,

Snaaty

Damn, why did you have to do that preview? Now I'm extremely curious how all this will end! Still I hope the somewhat stupid Persian king will win the game!

It were good and peaceful times for Persia, once the Russian was had ended. My emperor duty was once more reduced to have a banquet here and there and to meet with this and those important people. I really enjoyed this.

When the truthsayers came to me one day to discuss urgent foreign matters, I dismissed them without even looking at the papers they wanted to show me. How could the dare to spoil the peace and harmony that lay especially around Persepolis, which had grown into the main centre of the known world. Still I knew that they would come again to bother me, so I just signed the papers they left and had them sent to their secret headquarter via 5 pigeons (there were lots of papers).

Seems I had done the right thing, since prosperity and wealth continued to grow for some more years. We needed no army, no troops, simply nothing that could spoil the peace. I wondered a little where our army had gone since rumours started to spread that we were hunting down some minor tribes deep up in the north, but I didn’t count on them to be true.

Secret Truthsayer meeting:

“Oldest one, do you think it was a good decision to declare war to Frederick without telling the emperor?”

“Yes”

“Ahem, OK, but he must have signed some permission to do so”

“Yes”

“Just wondering, but you don’t seem to be in the mood to talk much lately, aren’t you?

“No”

Going for Frederick 1310 a.d.:

pic. 53_1310 a.d. Going for Frederick.GIF

But when additional rumours started to spread, that some divisions of our army had been spotted somewhere in East-Africa, for unknown purpose, I decided that it’s time to investigate this more closely. So I went to the truthsayers headquarters and confronted the oldest one with what I had found out so far.

But in the end, everything just turned out to be a misunderstanding. I learned that our troops weren’t on a military mission, but they were helping Julius to move his palace to Madagascar. They even helped in moving one of his African towns to a better location from.

Clearing Africa 1322 a.d.:

pic. 54_1322 a.d.Clearing Africa.GIF

Next Secret Truthsayer meeting:

“And you really don’t want to tell him that we are just about to eliminate all our smaller neighbours?

“No”

“Then I think, we have a signed permission to do so”

“Yes”

Would you mind explaining the rest of us in more detail why we are doing this?”

“Yes”

“OK, you’re the oldest one and can do as you whish, but I must insist that you tell us what you…”

“Leave now”

“Uhm, OK”

When the issue with our army was solved, we had even more peaceful and happy years. In addition, we built something called Taj Mahal in 1360 a.d. what made us even happier.
But then, 1364 a.d. the truthsayers informed me, that Monty stands before my palace and wants to see me. So we invited him in and listened what he had to tell:

He asked us to help him in his quest against the English.

Since this would oppose directly our peace strategy, I wanted to decline this request politely. But when the truthsayers informed me, that England still wants to capture Paris and that we never will be save from them I finally agreed to accepted Monty plea.

So we decided to ship in some soldiers from Norway so we could fight the English on their own ground. When I asked why we are shipping our troops from German territory, the truthsayers told me sad news. The German nation is no more, their government has simply disappeared in 1388 a.d. To help the poor citizens there we had allowed them to join Persia…

Persian-Scandinavia 1388 a.d.:

pic. 55_1388 a.d. Persian-Scandinavia.GIF

The plan was that more troops would be shipped to England from central Europe via Paris once our fleet would be completed.

see you soon,

Snaaty

What happened to all the stacks outside persian territory? What happened to the tanks? Tell us more, tell us more!

I see that the story is becoming more and more general. In the beginning all the wars were described in more detail, now it seems that "we just conquered Africa" and "oops, Germany was invaded". I guess snaaty's running out of time or/and interest. Anyways, I'm interested in hearing about the future confrontation and I hope it'll be in little more detail.

Don´t worry everybody. The posts mentioned in the actual preview will only describe the time and the events that bring us to the arising world war (and the tanks and the stacks and the rest).

The little wars going on right now are of not much interest for the story, and in fact they aren´t real wars at all (took 3 turns to drive Julius out of Africa and maybe 5 for the remaining 3 german cities...)

More imortant are the political currents, as you will find out later ;)

Will we see nukes? Lots of nukes? All fired at once?

Great story, practically legandary.

Top Bottom