Civ 1 Advances chart

gazj82

Chieftain
Hi All,

I am a recent newcomer to Civilization. I started with Civ5 after watching Quill18. Anyway after 180 hours I decided I should get Civ1 and see where it all started seeing as I still have my original Amiga 1200 constantly setup on my desk.

So today I received Civ1 for my amiga from ebay. Everything was in excellent condition apart from the advances chart (tech tree). So I thought there must be a scanned version online. Unfortunately the only ones I could find were very poor quality. A html version exists on this site but unfortunately does not display well in a modern browser.

Anyway I decided to mend my copy as best I could with a bit of selotape. After I really thought I should do a high quality scan and upload it here. Hopefully it will be of use to someone.

Attachments

• civ_1_advances_chart.jpg
    civ_1_advances_chart.jpg
    504.2 KB · Views: 20,465
tristan_c's chart is best chart. god that guy has some great stuff. i wish he would post more

Attachments

• civ1tech.png
    civ1tech.png
    142.4 KB · Views: 23,418
tristan_c's chart is best chart. god that guy has some great stuff. i wish he would post more

At first I thought the chart looks damn good, but then I noticed that not all dependencies are shown as arrows... for example, Democracy requires Philosophy (arrow) and Literacy (italic note).

Should be put to the test to assess its practical usefulness...

Should be put to the test to assess its practical usefulness...

It's a reproduction of the chart in the game's manual (compare with the OP's high-quality scan). Is 25 years of testing enough? :cringe: I confronted the same problem the guy in the OP did, that this particular diagram was not on the internet at all, so I made it one rainy day instead of actually playing the game. I have posted it here before but it got buried and deleted somehow...

I know that Civ1 has no such thing as "secondary" prerequisite techs, but it's definitely laid-out the way it is for easy reading. When you have all the prereqs generating their own squiggles you get nethog's Tokyo metro map (with all due respect)
Spoiler :

This is great Tristan C. It is what I was looking for in the first place. The colour you have added to it really improves over the original.

I'm not quite sure if it matters much, but I compiled another version of the tech tree representation for Civ1.
Nethog's variant, although informative, seems too busy and hard to decipher from the first glance.
I use Nethog's tech tree. A bit messy with all the dependencies, but nice to have it visible. But your looks nice too with the logos for units and everything. http://thelastweblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/civtree.gif

On the other hand the original tech tree isn't very straightforward. Quite often the secondary prerequisites shown in parentheses refer to advances that come much later on the tech tree than the actual advance. E.g. Chivalry immediately follows Horseback Riding and shows Feudalism as a secondary prerequisite or Flight comes right after Physics despite the requirement of Combustion which needs researching a whole tech branch.

Basically I heavily revamped the original tech tree from the manual so that prerequisites in parentheses refer only to the earlier techs and not the other way around.

Indivudal entries show the information on the units, buildings, wonders which they enable and make obsolete. Also, they demonstrate all additional effects which may go unnoticed without carefully reading Civilopedia (like the elimination of Plague effects by Medicine) or not stated at all (as in case with Barracks made obsolete by Gunpowder and Automobile or with pollution effects of some later techs).

1 tech tree.png

P.S. Credit for info about the pollution impact of technologies goes to darkpanda who described in detail how pollution works in his excellent post.

Last edited:
Top Bottom