[Religion and Revolution]: Wild Animals

With Natives roaming around the map, it is near impossible to get a treasure that your scout discovers home without it being captured by a Native. Wild Animals would only add to this problem if it is left as it is. If a man is carrying 1000 gold back home in a chest, it seems a bit silly that he would give it up without a fight. I suggest giving the treasure unit a weapon, and a strength of one, promising some sort of defence in the wild.

It would be nice, if Hunters and Trappers could hunt animals outside a city (automatically if possible).

With Natives roaming around the map, it is near impossible to get a treasure that your scout discovers home without it being captured by a Native. Wild Animals would only add to this problem if it is left as it is. If a man is carrying 1000 gold back home in a chest, it seems a bit silly that he would give it up without a fight. I suggest giving the treasure unit a weapon, and a strength of one, promising some sort of defence in the wild.

Yeah, that is a problem. It is already very hard to get the gold from far away places. Animals make it not easier.

Personally I would give them more strength than 1, to make it harder for the natives to get the treasures. If they make raids against the treasure, they should need 2-3 raids for it. Animals should not make not much problems for a gold transport.

6. Wild Animals cannot enter a tile next to a city. (These are safe areas)
(Of course they will also not be spawned there)

Is this already implemented? In my first game, they came through the culture borders. The culture borders were at the beginning direct around the tiles next to the city.

Yeah, that is a problem. It is already very hard to get the gold from far away places. Animals make it not easier.

The strategy I use is to put the treasure inside a native city - that way it will not be conquered by a native or animal.
Then send a single unit to go and pick them up.
( I always send a unit out very early - or even more, one west, the other nort and another south etc..)

The strategy I use is to put the treasure inside a native city - that way it will not be conquered by a native or animal.
Then send a single unit to go and pick them up.
( I always send a unit out very early - or even more, one west, the other nort and another south etc..)

Yes, that is something I do, too. Or better did in the last 2 or 3 games.

Beware of our great enemy -wild animals! They cannot be trusted.

It's what the russians greeted me with when I first met them. It's an unintentional side-effect of the animals being a power like the other factions. They also show up in diplomacy screens in the list of people you can ask another nation to start or end war with.

It's probably harmless, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. ;) There may be other unforseen things you can do with other nations/natives that animals will pop up in.

It's what the russians greeted me with when I first met them. It's an unintentional side-effect of the animals being a power like the other factions.

Has already been reported in the thread for bugs and todos. :)

Edit:
It is fixed in SVN.

They also show up in diplomacy screens in the list of people you can ask another nation to start or end war with.

Yes, but it is not possible to start or end war with Wild Animals.
So it is simply displayed without effect.

There may be other unforseen things you can do with other nations/natives that animals will pop up in.

Maybe. :dunno:
I had tried to think about and eliminate most side effects though.

I've been playing 1.4 a lot the past week, including the bugfix in SVN.

However, there are a few other side effects caused by the Europeans being permanently at war with Wild Animals: it is impossible now to make Defensive Pacts with natives, and other Europeans are never willing to join wars because they are already at war with the wild animals. And I haven't tried it yet, but it is probably also impossible now to abandon colonies. Is there a way to include Wild Animals without them being a faction?

And I haven't tried it yet, but it is probably also impossible now to abandon colonies.

It is. :)
We have thought about "Abandoning Cities".

it is impossible now to make Defensive Pacts with natives, and other Europeans are never willing to join wars because they are already at war with the wild animals.

These things can be fixed. :thumbsup:

Edit:
It is fixed in SVN.

Is there a way to include Wild Animals without them being a faction?

You can trust me, that adding them as a faction is the only technical solution that makes sense.

New features simply have side effects.
Wild Animals has had many of them, but I had really thought about a lot of those.

The things that I simply did not consider were the indirect effects on Diplomacy.
But once I know about these, it is no big problem for me to fix them.

You can trust me, that adding them as a faction is the only technical solution that makes sense.

New features simply have side effects.
Wild Animals has had many of them, but I had really thought about a lot of those.

The things that I simply did not consider were the indirect effects on Diplomacy.
But once I know about these, it is no big problem for me to fix them.

In my Medieval mod I've been dealing with Animals/Bandits for quite a while now. And yeah I figured out about the bug where you can't form defense packs not long ago. If you are using the Animals Mod there are several things, that I can't even remember them all now, that you have to do to make Animals work smoothly. For one, you need to make them all AlwaysHostile and remove the code in the DLL which makes the Barbarian player go to war with everyone. Being AlwaysHostile works just fine instead. Then there is the problem of all the Hostile Animals being spotted every turn so I fixed an option to turn off Animals spotted plus made some of the Animals OnlyDefensive like deer and Boars, and also I added an Option to make Animal combat quick.

I am sure there was other side effects too. Not sure what all has been discussed here already, but that's my input.

Edit: Also, somehow I made it so that Pioneers and none combat units can be in the same space as OnlyDefensive animals.. that's a cool addition.

Well, in my mod I made it so that all Hostile Animals rarely attack Humans. It's kinda of fun when you end your turn next to a Grizzly and you start praying for it not to attack and it then just quietly roams away... shwooo! In reality animals rarely attack humans anyway. Also, they want attack cities in my mod if there is a stockade. Also, not sure what I did if anything but all Colonist will defend themselves against Animal attacks and most times win. For one though, I made sure no Animal had an attack power over 2.

If you are using the Animals Mod there are several things, that I can't even remember them all now, that you have to do to make Animals work smoothly.

Yeah I know. :)

That is why I only used parts of Jeckels modcomp to create a new Wild Animals for Religion and Revolution.
(Reusing parts of Jeckels work simply saved me some time.)

I added many bits of code here and there to avoid issues.

Top Bottom