I Fixed The Maf Error... Here Is How!!

Sorry for above post, I forgot some info. I also set my page file min and max at 512mb. This prevents program from trying to save entire game to page file and keeps in RAM until autosaves. I somehow think that the MAF error occurs when the game tries to save the game from pagefile to the save file on hard drive. Can anyone with some programing experience lend some logical reason why this helps???

If it matters this is my system
Vista 64 Home Premium
Asus P-35 motherboard
Q6600 processor
8gb memory (4x2gb)
Twin 250gb HD's (WD)
GT8800 Video Card (Gigabyte)

Slyflyer,
I tried your fix and it worked! No MAFs in over 60 turns of TR on Warlords! I'm running Vista 32 bit with an AMD Phenom 9500 quad core @ 2.2 Ghz, 3.00 Gig RAM and Nvidia 8500 GT video card. Thanks a lot.

jimmygeo

Ok, this is my first post in these forums and the main reason is because like so many of you I had the MAF errors in Warlords which annoyed me so bad. I mean, how could I play high end games like STALKER and Supreme Commander and have zero issues but have Civ IV screw up. I am running on Vista Business 32bit and this fix is geared toward any Vista OS but will work in XP too as far as I am aware of. I acctually got the idea from a fix for Supreme Commander and FSX where there were nastly bugs of CTD errors when to much memory was being used. I decided to give the fix a shot for CIV and see what would happen.... what happened is 3 hours of smooth bug free play in Warlords when the whole map had been discovered! ;)

So here is my gift to you all.... enjoy! :D

Try this only if you have at least 2 GByte of RAM and at your own risk.

- First download the explorer from http://www.ntcore.com/exsuite.php

- Next make a copy of Civ4Warlords.exe. Than start "CFF Explorer" and open the orginal Civ4Warlords.exe file.
- Now go to NT Header/File Header and click File Header. There you will find a button labeld "click here". Click it. And select the checkbox "App can handle> 2gb adressest "
- Save the modified EXE, overwrite the orginal one. (Note in Vista you must be running CFF Explorer in Administrator Mode).

If you run Windows Vista 64 or Windows XP 64 youre ready to go and dont need to read on. The rest is only for Windows Vista 32 and maybe Windows XP 32bit.

- Now we need to make Windows Vista (32-Bit) ready to support more than 2 GByte.
- Open a command prompt with Administration rights. You find it under "Programs->Accessories->Command prompt" click right and select "run as administrator".
- Enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072" (without quotes) in the command window and press enter.
After that restart windows
- For Windows XP there is a similar setting for the boot.ini, but I am not sure what it is, should be found be google.

ENJOY! :D

Are there any reasons not to do this? Can it hurt your computer?

I just tried it (for Vista 32 bit) and it makes a HUGE difference. Not only do I not get any MAF crashes, but I can run BtS on a huge map with all the graphic settings turned all the way up. I can even use 16 anti-alaising multi-sampling (I think it's called).

It seems almost too good to be true. Is it? Thanks in advance

Are there any reasons not to do this? Can it hurt your computer?

I just tried it (for Vista 32 bit) and it makes a HUGE difference. Not only do I not get any MAF crashes, but I can run BtS on a huge map with all the graphic settings turned all the way up. I can even use 16 anti-alaising multi-sampling (I think it's called).

It seems almost too good to be true. Is it? Thanks in advance

Wow... I am glad to see that this fix is still working for so many people :) I believe BTS has already done this to the .exe file. However if you run a 32-bit OS doing the last half of my instructions will complete the fix for BTS. I am on Vista 64-bit now and have not had the issue in BTS ever even without using the fix. And to answer your question Marshall... there is really no reason to not do it. Unless you manage to not follow my instructions you are not going to do any harm to your PC :)

Wow... I am glad to see that this fix is still working for so many people :) I believe BTS has already done this to the .exe file. However if you run a 32-bit OS doing the last half of my instructions will complete the fix for BTS. I am on Vista 64-bit now and have not had the issue in BTS ever even without using the fix. And to answer your question Marshall... there is really no reason to not do it. Unless you manage to not follow my instructions you are not going to do any harm to your PC :)
Thanks for your reply, Slyflyer. I didn't see your post until today, November 3rd.

I just bought a new computer (Dell XPS-420/Quad core) about two months ago and I really want to take good, proper care of it.

As I wrote a few weeks ago, not only does your fix completely eliminate MAF crashes -but I can play on a huge map with all of graphic options set to maximum. Thanks again.

Thanks for your reply, Slyflyer. I didn't see your post until today, November 3rd.

I just bought a new computer (Dell XPS-420/Quad core) about two months ago and I really want to take good, proper care of it.

As I wrote a few weeks ago, not only does your fix completely eliminate MAF crashes -but I can play on a huge map with all of graphic options set to maximum. Thanks again.
No problem... glad it allows you now to enjoy the game fully :) Enjoy your new PC!

i have a question. i went to edit the .exe and the box for >2g mem was aready checked. so then i did the commmand promopt. i havent had a maf since then. would just writing that line in the command promopt make such a profound difference?

dll file - aren't you trying to change the exe file?

Dang my bad, i was trying to change the wrong file, DUH!! Changed the right one this time, thx.

OK tried it and i still get same results anyways, Runtime error.:mad:

what operating system is this?
also is this warlords or which one?

I have WinXP Home Ed, i get a runtime error when i first try Warlords, no matter what, i cant play, but i am trying now is BtS , i tried to get a World Map, and everytime it comes back Runtime Error and crashes to desktop. Even with these changes.

Top Bottom