[CIV 5 Issues] - The complete list

Keep subjective stuff and preferences out of this list. This is objective issues and troubles the vast majority of people have... graphical issues, glaring imbalances, missing features, etc.
These are all subjective issues.

Yeah it is still full of subjectivity... but you should have seen it before a lot of us went over a reivew of it, hah! Help out the OP by pointing out subjectivity.
The OP is cataloguing issues and annoyances. As such they're all subjective.

Keep focus on last unit when you leave the city screen!

Here is the problem:
You're about to move your worker, but you can't see which tiles are in use by the nearest city, so you enter the city, check the tiles and close the city screen. Now what happens: you are no longer focused on that worker, it skipped it turn and you're moved to another unit that is miles miles away. Gee.. where was this worker? Oh, here it is. Wait, what tile should I improve now - let's check in the city screen...

This is subjective. I very much like the choice of focusing units on terrain first and advanced stuff. It requires you to play the game differently. You want to set up specific units for specific areas of combat...
If you are fighting in the plains and deserts of North Eastern Africa and the Middle East, you want to have lots of open Terrain specialized units.
If you are fighting in the jungles of the Amazon in South America, then you want the rough terrain promotions.
It is dynamic and and interesting. Ambigious all purpose promotions that unlock everything tend to end up as a no brainer to just click through with no thought in civ IV.
This does not belong on the list.
It doesn't mirror how military forces work, train or prepare in real life. Since Firaxis rebuilt most of the combat system in CiV, I would have liked them to make the units truly flexible with regards to promotions.

An example: your rifleman has gained 30 experience points so far - you could make the unit skip a turn while in a city and assign the promotions best suited for the task at hand. After x number of turns you are free to choose to 'strip' the unit of it's promotions (but not the number of earned XP points) and reset it until you go to war again. Then you might give the unit different promotions because the task/enviroment/etc... is different.

I really don't see the point in building a riflemen suited for warfare in hilly terrain, a different riflemen suited for warfare in flat terrain etc. Especially not with so few units as in CiV.

I played Civ IV for years and in all honesty I was merely given the illusion of choice with Civics... 9/10 times there was a "right" choice for what civic you were supposed to be in. But there was some variance depending on what victory path you choose to pursue.
Civ V has basically the same thing, except it doesn't try to pretend you have the option to switch to something else. I prefer Social Policies to Civics any day of the week. I am still experimenting with different combos of Policies. I find when you decide the path you want to take to win, you actually have a variety of options for every victory path. Do you want oligarchy to fight a more defensive war? Do you want to go for a more cultural diplomatic victory? How about a diplomatic city state conquest victory so they can provide you with units (and WOW they give you a lot when you are friends with all the military ones)?
These are all options with different choices of Policies.
Anyway, this point is more a matter of preference, and not an issue with the game.?
Well, unless I've misunderstood something while playing CiV, you unlock certain Policies and certain, specific advantages for every Policy tree you choose. You cannot reverse these choices and very early in the game, you have to make choices that will effect the game until the end. Problem: how do you know at such an early state which policies will benefit you and your overall strategy in the last 2/3 of the game? You might change your mind midgame, but by then you can't access the Policy that might fit best. Civ 4 was much more flexible in that regard. I could transform a peaceful civ heavy in researching, into a warmongering monster if needed or attacked by surprise with the civics. And back again when warmongering is done. Flexibility.

But perhaps I'm using the Social Policies wrong?

What sliders? Removing sliders? They never had sliders in Civ V...
They did in Civ IV? Well that doesn't really matter, since this isn't Civ IV. The game works very differently... There are other ways to get science and culture that can all be acquired directly with gold. The system is different. If you insist on the slider mentality then think of the slider being at 100% gold and 0% science and culture. How are you going to compete in science and culture? Well get it from other sources, and use your excess gold to get some extra.
I did not say that there's sliders in CiV. There are sliders in Civ4, concerning how much of your gold goes into research, culture, espionage or wealth itself. That option does not exist in CiV. I have to open every city screen and make changes if I want that city to focus on research, production, culture etc. That's fine but what if I want to make an overall strategic decision? I have to do this for every single city every time I want to make such a decision. In Civ4 you could use the sliders and perhaps customize what what happens in a couple of cities.

You are right that some of my points are subjective, but I don't think that makes them less noteworthy. I know that CiV is not meant to be Civ4 and it isn't. But some of the new gameplay features really seem like a step backwards.

Another thing: city states - I just don't know what to do with them or the endless stream of messages from them all the time. They always want me to join them in attacking another civ on another continent (which I often have pretty much no contact with) for no reason whatsoever. Diplomacy really feels 'dumbed down' as it is implemented in CiV.

Here's some of my observations:

1.2 Civilopedia & Game info screens
*No way to tell the range of a selected unit without actually pressing B (or S + B in the case of early siege units) or right-clicking the unit portrait to get the civilopedia.
*Units with many abilities and promotions hide them behind the unit portrait, making it impossible to see what they are.

1.7 Messages & notifications
*The "Advanced Ballistics" quote text doesn't match the audio.

4. Gameplay & Game mechanics
*Upgraded artillery -> rocket artillery still need to set up before bombarding
*Crossbowmen get upgraded to riflemen and their ranged promotions become useless
*Air strikes take forever since the unit physically flies from the destination, to the target and back, regardless of the distance and how much of it is on screen. (I believe this was true in Civ IV as well, but was fixed in a patch)

I'll agree that this last one might be subjective, but I have to mention it:
*Helicopter units can hover over mountains, ignores terrain movement cost and have 6 movement points, but they can't fly over a 1 hex lake. They get embarked like normal land units (I wonder if it IS classified as a land unit). I also noticed that it can move through ice when it is embarked.

On a dual screen setup, with a the "extend desktop" setting, you can't mouse-scroll in the direction your desktop is extended to - the cursor rolls over onto the extended desktop.

Also: I'm not sure why, but I can't select the DirectX 10 launch option for Civ5

At the very least, this happens on my ATI Radeon HD 5770 Crossfire setup.

Please add to that list a whidly agreed by the community fact that the trading posts are UGLY , do not fit in ANY way with the rest of the overall very nice scenary.An idea is to make them Civ specific textures so that they can blend well with the nearby citys and look more like villages then a circus tents.I think we can all agree that ESP in the modern era that the trading posts are like an endless span of trailerparks/ghettos.Very VERY Ugly.

Also some clear imbalance issues that were brought up multiple times :

1) Egypt civ unique building is too rewarding.It has 0 maintentance and 2 culture and 2 happyness rendering the construction of any other happyness building overall useless.
2) Egypt with their civ unique treat combined with marble and +33% wander building policy constructs wanders faster then normal buildings(Pyramids 11 turns/Granary 15 you get the picture).I think we can all agree this should not be the case ever!
3)Ottomans civ treat is underwhelming.I think we can all agree here.It needs buff/revamp
4)Agressive Civs should "learn" to have garnisson/defence units when at war.Going all out is terribly abusable.Even on diety they go all out which is bad game design.
5)Defensive buildings should add additional HP bonus to the city.Currently even a 100 defence City can fall with 2-3 turns of bombardment by 2-3 sige units.City HP overall should be buffed with the Capital gaining a Substatial HP buff.Atm domination is quite easy to achieve.

Thank you in advance.

Please add to that list a whidly agreed by the community fact that the trading posts are UGLY , do not fit in ANY way with the rest of the overall very nice scenary.An idea is to make them Civ specific textures so that they can blend well with the nearby citys and look more like villages then a circus tents.I think we can all agree that ESP in the modern era that the trading posts are like an endless span of trailerparks/ghettos.Very VERY Ugly.

this.

I haven't seen this one yet, and I think it's a big one:

You can't use mods unless the game is installed to the C drive.

:wallbash:

Awesome.

Nice job compiling the list. Will it be posted on 2K forums or emailed to the devs so the issues might be addressed, or will it just sit here and do nothing?

Here is something to add to section 1.9: a unit's multi-move path is plotted using information unavailable to the player like opposing civ unit locations or barbarian encampments.

Here's an example.

Here the computer is avoiding the shortest route because it is blocked by a barbarian encampment that I have not yet discovered.

Brian

I've mainly noticed this when I request a luxury that would give me a we love the king day event...and I have a feeling the AI is trained to notice this as well.

I've had 1 to 1 luxury trades before, and I've been able to purchase non king day luxuries for a decent amount of gold...but get them nonetheless.

My problem is not just with the fact that they're asking for 3 or 4 in return, it's the fact that by giving them extra copies, I've lost the entire supply.

Very very annoying to find out I've just gained 5 happiness, but lost 15 or 20 happiness. Then I shrug it off and say, fine, I was being careless... but then I find out that I have multiple camps for fur, multiple camps for ivory, and so on. Then I try to figure out what went wrong, and go into the overview screens to get more info, only to find out there IS no further info on how many resources I have and where they're being used. Oh and what's even worse is that I had no autosave right before I made that buggy resource trade, so it's either A) reload several turns before that and lose 20 minutes of my life B) suck it up and try to deal with my unhappy citizens. Luckily the unhappiness penalties aren't crippling at this point.

But it still drains all the fun out of a solid product. And I'm not being a "hardcore strategy gamer" or a whiner either. After shutting down ciV, I opened up my NDS and had a great time playing CivRev (yes I know admitting to this pretty much destroys what little rep I have as a civ player XD).

Anyways, I really hope the equivalent of civ4's warlords and BTS comes out for the ciV. Like, tomorrow. It'd be a great game if all these details are taken care of.

Need an option to skip the damn opening cinematic (that doesn't involve editing an INI file). You can hit Enter to skip, but on slower systems you can pound enter for about a minute before it actually skips.

Whether you disable the movie or not, the loading time remains the same. Pressing a key once is enough, it won't stop the movie until the menu is loaded.

I agree. This should be stickied.

There are some good constructive ideas in here.

Big applause for the original poster. Thank you for compiling a detailed and relatively balanced list.

Whether you disable the movie or not, the loading time remains the same. Pressing a key once is enough, it won't stop the movie until the menu is loaded.

I'm wondering about that actually.

When I have been able to successfully alt tab out of Civ V, I see for a moment that the movie frame is still there.

I'm wondering if the movie is staying in memory is some way shape or form, and by not loading it all it makes things a bit more efficient?

Top Bottom