Interesting Screenshots

Is it possibly because that coastal tile is sharing a corner with a river?

This thought had justanick, Takeo and me, too. On the other hand there are more coastal tiles of the city of Palmyra that also border to the river and don´t have that additional trade.

If the river indeed influences the trade of the coastal tile, this could be a malfunction of the random map creator of C3C, as coastal waters shouldn´t have rivers. :eek:

This thought had justanick, Takeo and me, too. On the other hand there are more coastal tiles of the city of Palmyra that also border to the river and don´t have that additional trade.
Assuming you mean the 2 tiles either side of the delta to the NW, the river ends on that corner, it doesn't actually pass around the corner -- unlike the western corner of the tile you marked in your screenie. You see the same thing happen where a river starts -- the 2 tiles sharing a border 'opposite' the first tile-border that a river runs along, don't get the river trade-boost (or the freshwater -- a Duct would always be needed to grow a city planted in either of those 2 tiles).
If the river indeed influences the trade of the coastal tile, this could be a malfunction of the random map creator of C3C, as coastal waters shouldn´t have rivers. :eek:
Yah, well, that wouldn't be the first bug found in Civ3, would it...? ;)

you might have seen that when creating maps rivers start from odd places . Correcting and modding the maps you sometimes add a lake here or more seas there and the lot and rivers stay in the middle of the seas . Disappearing when you open your saved .biq again and never saw it in a game either ... Maybe until now .

Whoops! :blush:

I received the message "Palace destroyed" while bombing Constantinopolis with artillery and battleships.

I checked via Espionage and it is really no longer there, while still Theodoras capital:

I did not know that it is possible to destroy the palace, especially since usually land and naval artillery first wears down any defenders before going for the infrastructure. :confused:

The game is modded, but the Palace is unaltered.

yes, it happens. however, i find it more interesting that the capital effect is still working obviously, so no corruption occurs. obviously the corruption does NOT rely on the palace building, as I think the game information claims, but goes with the capital trait of a certain city...
t_x

It's the Great Wall bug in action. Artillery units automatically hit Walls before anything else if there are any Walls in the city, but the free Walls from the Great Wall can't be destroyed, so they freak out and destroy a different building instead. This can even let them destroy things like Palaces and Wonders (including the Great Wall itself) that ordinarily couldn't be destroyed.

yes, it happens. however, i find it more interesting that the capital effect is still working obviously, so no corruption occurs. obviously the corruption does NOT rely on the palace building, as I think the game information claims, but goes with the capital trait of a certain city...
t_x
maybe it will in the next turn?
I've never seen this... and it's hilarious.

The Great Wall but would fit to the events. The following bombardements destroyed more infrastructure before finally hitting the defenders.

But the Great Wall is allready obsolete, as the Byzantines have developed Metallurgy and Military Tradition (or they got it from another civ as they lag behind in science despite a really good, but somewhat isolated Start).

I can not say if they would have corruption the next round in Constantinopolis, as I have conquered the city in the same round.

It's the Great Wall bug in action. Artillery units automatically hit Walls before anything else if there are any Walls in the city, but the free Walls from the Great Wall can't be destroyed, so they freak out and destroy a different building instead. This can even let them destroy things like Palaces and Wonders (including the Great Wall itself) that ordinarily couldn't be destroyed.

I didn't know about that bug until now. Ugh. I was artillery bombarding a city in my last game, and saw the message that the Wonder I hoped to capture went up in smoke :mad: I don't play mods, so it has to be this bug.

I continued my earlier mentioned Vikings game. Ended up rushing the Statue of Zeus a few turns later because the Aztecs declared war on me and I figured I could use some Ancient Cavalry now, rather than in 10 more turns. Went on for a bit, then the game crashed. Didn't feel like picking it up again for a while after that, then I did, and fought off the Aztecs, with no help from the Statue, which for some reason doesn't seem to be working anymore.

Like, really, it's been almost 15 turns in game and I haven't gotten a single Ancient Cavalry from it. What the hell? [pissed]

I continued my earlier mentioned Vikings game. Ended up rushing the Statue of Zeus a few turns later because the Aztecs declared war on me and I figured I could use some Ancient Cavalry now, rather than in 10 more turns. Went on for a bit, then the game crashed. Didn't feel like picking it up again for a while after that, then I did, and fought off the Aztecs, with no help from the Statue, which for some reason doesn't seem to be working anymore.

Like, really, it's been almost 15 turns in game and I haven't gotten a single Ancient Cavalry from it. What the hell? [pissed]
Did the Aztecs by any chance cut off your ex-Spanish Ivory? If they did, then you won't get any ACavs until it's been reconnected. This invisible mechanic caught me out too, in one of my pRNGods-Games last year: I was playing as the Aztecs, and captured SoZ from the Zulus, but not their Ivory, which was elsewhere. By the time I'd captured and raze-replaced their Ivory-city, I'd missed out on 6 or 7 ACavs, and was fast approaching Metallurgy. The whole sorry tale begins here...

Did the Aztecs by any chance cut off your ex-Spanish Ivory? If they did, then you won't get any ACavs until it's been reconnected. This invisible mechanic caught me out too, in one of my pRNGods-Games last year: I was playing as the Aztecs, and captured SoZ from the Zulus, but not their Ivory, which was elsewhere. By the time I'd captured and raze-replaced their Ivory-city, I'd missed out on 6 or 7 ACavs, and was fast approaching Metallurgy. The whole sorry tale begins here...

That must be it, they pillaged the Ivory a little while ago. I didn't know doing that would stop you from getting ACavs.

I have stumpled upon five chinese carrier groups with a total of 7 carriers (4 Kaga, 2 Hosho and one Taskforce). As usual for KI carriers, they fortifiy out of gun range next to Matsuyama to support their land troops.

Since carrier operations by the KI are very rare and I have not seen a single chinese aircraft (except some long range B-29/Tu-4) , I decided to turn the chinese KI into a human player via C3C Multiplayer Tool and check if they even have aircraft onboard.

There is only a single fighter squadron on one of the carriers. Very efficent... :lol:

By the way, The KI is suddenly in love with the Paratroopers, since I have added "all terrain as road" to them (which makes them also more useful for human players).

And yes, the chinese navy has a slightly weird mix of chinese, russian and japanese ships. ;)

I guess, that I am screwed and the mexican territories will soon be in the hands of Xerxes!

Xerxes is at war with most other civs. He is one of the three civs still stuck in the middle ages (together with Wang Kon and Ramses) and he receive both his iron and his camels for a meager price (both 5 gold per turn) from me. Everybody else has reached combustion or Flight by now (Aztec Airacobra Fighters were my main reason for aircraft losses in the Third Aztec-Byzantine War).

And just as I finished my conquest of the Aztec mainland, Xerxes dropped of this undefeatable invasion force next to Cal... Cat... the unpronounceable northern city.

And yes, the Battlefleet in the southwest is also mine!

Any suggestions how I can escape Xerxes trap? ;)

I know, that the KI is very ineffective in using their workers, but this time the Hittities have taken it once again to 11.

Not only is Mursillis city placement very poorly (I would have put at least four additional cities on his island), but he even failed to connect all cities and resources with roads.

I had the island is completly explored via recon planes in the previous turns.

The road between Hattusa and Hattusha has a one field gap, while Ugarit, Tyrana and Aleppo (at the north cape) are lacking any road connection. Half of his spice and all silk is unconnected. Hattusas is only connected over the harbour of Harran with the rest of the empire.

And why clear the wetland next to the cities or build improvements like mines or irrigation. That seems to be overrated.

Mursillis the Mad has reached replacable Parts and Flight, then he decided, that it is a very good idea to ambush some byzantine cities, while the byzantine forces are busy fighting the Inka. What can possibly go wrong?

As you can see on the dark red territory, he was not first one with such an idea...

On a side note, after defeating the Mongols and reaching Refinery, I discovered, that all six oilfields were within my territory (two within former mongolian borders). This limited the military abilities of the KI slightly . ;)

I know, that the KI is very ineffective in using their workers, but this time the Hittities have taken it once again to 11.

Using their workers may be less of a problem, the lack of recruiting enough workers in the first place may be the larger problem. Since you are playing a more or less modded game anyway, have you tried to make AI prioritize recruiting workers?

Perhaps adding the "treat all terrain as road" flag to the worker unit -- like you did with the paratrooper -- would do the trick? Then they would build more of them and actually be able to construct a few "real" roads... :D

(BTW: how they even reached RepParts and Flight without having any roads to speak of, is beyond me... Did that game already start in the industrial age, or what...?! :D)

Top Bottom