Did not have option to liberate city after capturing it. Why??!

wintermelon

Chieftain
So I'm 200+ turns into my game and Russia has been wiped out. I'm fighting Rome who has St. Petersburg and I capture it... I want to liberate it ang resurrect Russia because the city is garbage and I don't want to take the diplo hit (already major warmonger)...

but after I captured it, there was no option to liberate! (only annex, puppet, raze, or view city). Even prior to capturing city, mousing over it says capturing this city will earn major warmonger points, liberating it earn major liberations pts, etc.

Can anyone tell me why this might be happnening?

Because you were the one who took Russia's last city and wiped them out. You cannot liberate civs you destroyed at some point.

Because you were the one who took Russia's last city and wiped them out. You cannot liberate civs you destroyed at some point.

Sorry, seems like I still don't really get why you can't liberate it. Same thing happened in my game, Inca wipe out France, keeping Paris and Troyes, razing the rest. I wage war against Inca, capturing Paris and have the option to liberate it (but I didn't). When I captured Troyes, there was no option to liberate it. Would I be able to liberate Troyes if I captured it before Paris?

Yes, the game assumes that once you show no interest in liberating a Civ that you don't want to liberate any other cities. So if you liberate Troyes FIRST, then you have the option between liberating/conquering any other of France's captured cities. But if you just go "Paris is MINE now" then the game assumes you don't possibly have the interests of the French people at heart.

The option to liberate is even more restrictive than that! If you are at war with a civ when they are eliminated you will never get a chance to liberate their old cities. If a civ is about to be wiped out, even if I helped and I don't really like them, I will try and make peace before they go, just to have the resurrection option later. Premature peace does not hurt diplo with other civs.

I thought you could only liberate capitals, but I could be wrong.

No, any city can potentially be liberated. (Well, except CS that Venice or Austria buys.) If I am resurrecting a civ, my preference is not to start with their old capital -- since I might want to keep that!

Sorry, seems like I still don't really get why you can't liberate it. Same thing happened in my game, Inca wipe out France, keeping Paris and Troyes, razing the rest. I wage war against Inca, capturing Paris and [expected to] have the option to liberate it (but I didn't). When I captured Troyes, there was no option to liberate it. Would I be able to liberate Troyes if I captured it before Paris?

That would not have mattered because there is no game mechanics difference between expos and caps. Were you at war with France when the Inca’s wiped them out?

The option to liberate is even more restrictive than that! If you are at war with a civ when they are eliminated you will never get a chance to liberate their old cities. If a civ is about to be wiped out, even if I helped and I don't really like them, I will try and make peace before they go, just to have the resurrection option later. Premature peace does not hurt diplo with other civs.

There is actually a bug that will let you work around/exploit this. If a civ is wiped out while you were at war with them you can go to the trading screen with any other civ you are at peace with. On your side select Make Peace with the civ in cause (it should not be grayed out). On the trading window nothing will appear but click propose anyway. After that you can leave the trade screen. When you capture a city that originally belonged to the civ in cause you WILL get the option to liberate it. I tried this today out of curiosity.
I am not sure that this is what let me resurrect the eliminated civ. A turn before they got wiped out I wanted to make peace with them but i was unable because I started this war to get a diplo bonus with Shaka when they asked me, and i had 6 turns left to before I could negotiate peace. So it's either this or the above actions that allowed me to liberate that city.
Spoiler :

Only another civilization that didn't wipe out the civilization that you wiped out can liberate the civilization that you destroyed's captured cities.

Well that`s very limiting. Unrealistically so. If I destroy a Nation, I assume I assimilate its people into my own people right? So there are still the indigenous people around. So, sayI decide to give them a city back, i should be able to. I`m pretty sure it`s been done in real life. The fact you destroyed their nation should not make it impossible- Unless you wiped out the entire race.

It may or may not be a wise idea, but it should be possible.

p.s. Thinking about it- of course it`s been done in real life! The British Empire gave India their independence after a century or so of domination just to name one and much of that was due to financial hassle of keeping them (and unhappiness)!

If a civ is wiped out while you were at war with them you can go to the trading screen with any other civ you are at peace with. On your side select Make Peace with the civ in cause (it should not be grayed out). On the trading window nothing will appear but click propose anyway. After that you can leave the trade screen. When you capture a city that originally belonged to the civ in cause you WILL get the option to liberate it. I tried this today out of curiosity.

Neat! I will try to keep this in mind, and try it next time I can. Seems like this might work even if you are the one who eliminated the civ?

Well that`s very limiting. Unrealistically so... It may or may not be a wise idea, but it should be possible.

Meh, it works out well enough game balance wise. I think it would be too much of an easy exploit if a player could resurrect a civ they destroyed. Agreed, the game does not model colonies becoming nations. That was a neat feature with IV.

Neat! I will try to keep this in mind, and try it next time I can. Seems like this might work even if you are the one who eliminated the civ?
I am curious if this actually works for someone else. I am not sure this is the cause, but that is the only special thing that I did.

Top Bottom