Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Welcome to CivFanatics. :wavey:

I'm new and was wondering how to make a group, I can't find any sort of option. Do I have to meet certain requirements. Thanks!
You can create a Social Group by clicking here.

As far as I know, you only need to be a registered member, but you may need 5 posts and 5 days, not sure.

For more information, you can open the spoiler below:
Spoiler :
What is a social group?

A social group is a group of people usually with a particular interest or something else in common. It provides a way of communicating between members as well as sharing photos or other images.

You can get to the list through 'Group Memberships' section on your public profile (?).

The Social Groups list page displays all groups that have been created. You can list the groups by the number of members, messages or pictures, the group name, when the group was created or by the date of the most recent message posted. You can use the controls provided to search for a group.

How do I join a group?

To join a group, click the group title then click 'Join Group'. When you have joined a group, its name will be shown in your public profile. You must be a logged-in, registered member to join groups.

Can I create my own social group?

As a registered member, you can create your own social group (providing the administrator allows this). Go to the groups page and click 'Create A New Group'. Complete the title and description for your group then select the type. There are three types of groups:

Public - open to everyone. There is no restriction on who can join or who can post messages to it
Invite Only - require an invitation to be sent to join them. Invitations can only be sent by the group creator or forum moderators and administrators. Invitations are sent by clicking 'Pending & Invited Members' at the bottom of the page for that individual group
Moderated - open to everyone to join but messages need to be moderated before they will appear. They are moderated by the group creator and the site moderators and administrators

P.S. What's a story? (I know what a story is, but in terms of Civ and this site.)
Depends upon where you are in the forums.

In the gaming forums, a story is generally about a game someone is playing and wants the community to see some aspect of it.

In other forums, they may be forum games that are creative in nature as players work together or as adversaries. Just have to read in the various forums to get the hang of it.

In the gaming forums, a story is generally about a game someone is playing and wants the community to see some aspect of it.

In other forums, they may be forum games that are creative in nature as players work together or as adversaries. Just have to read in the various forums to get the hang of it.
There are also lots of discussions about stories in the Arts & Entertainment forum, in the Colosseum section. These are non-Civ related, but if you're interested in writing, there is an activity called Draw Your Own Story (interactive webcomics with an ongoing storyline), the current National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) contest is still going on until November 30, and the Iron Pen writing competitions are ongoing as well (follow the top link in my sig for the current round).

Welcome to the forum. :)

The ones the posters don't know the answers to.

I've asked to subscribe to my threads/post replies with instant emails.
I'm not getting anything in my inbox, have checked my email address on this site which is correct as listed....any reasons why?

But sometimes you moderators post openly ‘user has been banned for this post’. Usually with less polite wording.

No, because the person may not wish for it to be known.
But sometimes you moderators post openly ‘user has been banned for this post’. Usually with less polite wording.
For a really determined person, it's possible to figure out if a specific person has received a temp ban, but it's something that most people, I suspect, would prefer not to have broadcast in public.

Takhisis, you're referring to temp bans, but I'm wondering if shadowplay was asking about those or about permabans?

I'm not only referring to permabans.

Also, I think shadowplay is asking about both. We simply don't know whether someone's left the forum or they've been banned, permanently or temporarily.

hello,
i am not familiar with forums so i may mess this up. i am looking for answers to my problem. i bought civ3 years ago and have always played from the disk. i take long breaks from the game and recently wanted to play again but cannot. a friend of mine is telling me my disk play is over. i have to join something called Steam? is this true? what is it? how much? he used to play a lot of games but since this Steam thing he has stopped playing. is my disk useless? too many questions to post them all. hope somebody can give me a little insight. tried to uninstall/install the game but got nowhere. thanks for letting me post.

In the "public profile" page, one can find the list of files uploaded to the Database by a specific user. It is convenient but I wonder how files are sorted actually.

It does not seem to be sorted by their IDs, name, date of upload or place in the different sections of the Database.

So how is it sorted? And is it possible to sort them a bit (like by their place in the different sections of the Db or else)?

I might want to replace my signature by just a link to my public profile, but as it is right now, it looks a bit messy... :mischief:

Right off hand, I also don't see how these files are sorted. I'll take another look later. However, I'm reluctant to make a change to the natural sorting order (whatever that might be) because doing so could place a load on the server.

Are we allowed to enquire about who's been banned? Can we publicly ask "has _____ been banned?"

I'm not only referring to permabans.

Also, I think shadowplay is asking about both. We simply don't know whether someone's left the forum or they've been banned, permanently or temporarily.
Yeah, sometimes we do say that someone was banned for a post and sometimes we don't. We tend to announce it publicly when we want other people in a thread to take heed of what sorts of things are way across the line, so that we don't have to ban more people for similar reasons. But other times we decide to keep it private. Accumulated point bans are pretty much never announced, although if you have seen that someone has racked up multiple infractions quickly and then disappears for a while, it was a ban on accumulated points.

As for permabanned users, we don't normally publicly announce them but I don't think it's really a secret either since they're no longer members of the site. Feel free to PM me and I'll tell you. It's very rare; most people who leave have just left rather than being permabanned. The only two Permanent Points system permabans that have been issued since I started moderating were actually both announced publicly, one in the infraction appeals forum and the other in the Comings, Goings, and New Arrivals thread by the banned user after his 21st PP but before he was actually banned. Somewhat more common is a summary permaban, which happens if a new user shows up primarily to troll.

Right off hand, I also don't see how these files are sorted. I'll take another look later. However, I'm reluctant to make a change to the natural sorting order (whatever that might be) because doing so could place a load on the server.

Thank You, Petek. You're right, let's keep the server in good shape! Any success in finding out how it sorts files?

Yes, please send a private message to me with your old name, the new name you would like and the reason you'd like to make the change. :)

Top Bottom