New NESes, ideas, development, etc

ooh, NESlife. lover those neses. if one starts up, I'll join it.

@ChiefDesigner: hmm, intresting. though the loan system, who exactly are they getting the laons from? private banks (an if so, at what limits?) other nations (and what insentive, other then the intrest, might they have for giving out these loans?) someplace else?

Loans come from private banks, and IIRC your credit limit is a product of your GDP and your light vs. heavy industry orientation.

Foreign loans are done through player action (abstracting away the details of central banks providing money to other central banks); IMO, loans should be considered war subsidies, that you're providing to support an ally or further your own political goals.

Hey. For a modern nations NES, what level of complexity in the stats do people think is the optimal? As in, do you go for super complicated spreadsheet based trade routes, et cetera, or would you have more fun with just a basic income and military?

Hey. For a modern nations NES, what level of complexity in the stats do people think is the optimal? As in, do you go for super complicated spreadsheet based trade routes, et cetera, or would you have more fun with just a basic income and military?

If it doesn't create any more work for you I'd say spreadsheet stats would be better just to give a little more depth. I wouldn't go overboard by any means though, modern NESs are very hard to do.

Basic, every time.

I know I have enough to do, but I'm seriously considering launching NESLife4b, re-inspired by Tuxedohamm and using sprite graphics. There is room for more than one LifeNES?

Spoiler :
Neofilium: Thlayli
Active warm-water omnivore
Genes (5): Swimming x2, Plankton Filter x1, Tentacles x1, Digestion x1

Pingucomende: Ninja Dude
Slow ubiquitous planktonovore
Genes (5): Drifting x1, Crawling x1, Thick Skin x1, Plankton Filter x1, Cold Resistance x1

Stellaculus: Tuxedohamm

Passive warm-water omnivorous spike trap
Genes (5): Feeding Spikes x3, Drifting x1, Digestion x1

Durulus: Lord Iggy
Active warm-water omnivore
Genes (5): Feeding Spikes x2, Shell x1, Swimming x 1, Digestion x1

Archorus: Haeseri
Sessile poisonous filter-feeder
Genes (5): Plankton Filter x3, Sticky Coating x1, Digestion x1

Archeofloatus: Algeroth
Passive warm-water floating phototroph
Genes (5): Buoyancy x2, Photosynthesis x2, Thick Skin x1

Bubbler: Fulton
Warm shoreline phototroph
Genes (5): Photosynthesis x2, Buoyancy x1, Thick Skin x1, Water Retention x1

Donki: Immaculate
Sessile warm-water phototroph
Genes (5): Photosynthesis x3, Anchor x1, Stalk x1

Soleneidea: ChiefDesigner

Volcanic vent chemotroph
Genes (5): Pressure Resistance x1, Heat Resistance x1, Cold Resistance x1, Chemosynthesis x1, Swimming x1

EDIT: A new rule would be allowing each turn one entirely *new* gene, one *removed* gene, and one gene to *shift* to something similar. Like 'spikes x2' could be adapted to 'spikes x1, crawling x1', as some spikes become used as legs.

About as much as between yo mama's legs on a Saturday night! amiright, or am-i-right!

I would love another NESlife, even if I've been too swamped by finals to participate in the ongoing one just yet.

>.>

Alright so I'm not going to launch another NESLife unless I can get my other NES updated reliably. But, I do have some things I'd like to see in a future evolution game:

Gene shifting:
I really think it would be a good idea to be able to shift 'genes' between related actions, limited to one level at a time, in addition to adding from scratch. For example, one level of 'crawling' could be shifted to one level of 'swimming', while other genes could be added in the same turn. In the real world, we have evolution shifting between carnivorous and herbivorous diets without having to evolve a whole new digestive system from scratch. And limbs can be adapted for new purposes. Etc etc. Our body parts are far more often adapted from other uses. IMO it removes a handicap to creative species branching. I know there is the potential for arguments here, so it could be a 'think about this additional request' rather than a 'give me this' kinda deal.

Species-specific evolution bonus: in addition to player bonus, some species could grant more 'genes' for anyone who evolves them. Basically, older species that are widespread and well established in the world, having had more time for latent mutations to develop. Thus there would be more incentive to branch these older species and less incentive to only evolve from the latest, most gene-laden creatures. Also, species that are under attack from lots of predators could get a bonus due to the 'evolutionary pressure'.

Efficiency: simple, effective creatures should have more of a chance to survive. Both myself and Tux fell into the trap of killing off basic critters. In our world, we still have sponges and algae hanging around. I think a simple creature with good feeding abilities relative to its complexity should always do well. And we should bear in mind that a more complex creature is probably a much better meal for a predator. In both my NESLife3 and Tux's NES we have ramped up the complexity in a few turns without having improved the feeding abilities. So there should be more reward for doing so IMO. Its the same pattern of players in an arms race with claws and poison spikes etc, while in reality a feed and breed strategy leads to the biggest numbers, updates should reflect this.

PS: @flyingchicken that does look intresting!

Alright so I'm not going to launch another NESLife unless I can get my other NES updated reliably. But, I do have some things I'd like to see in a future evolution game:

Gene shifting:
I really think it would be a good idea to be able to shift 'genes' between related actions, limited to one level at a time, in addition to adding from scratch. For example, one level of 'crawling' could be shifted to one level of 'swimming', while other genes could be added in the same turn. In the real world, we have evolution shifting between carnivorous and herbivorous diets without having to evolve a whole new digestive system from scratch. And limbs can be adapted for new purposes. Etc etc. Our body parts are far more often adapted from other uses. IMO it removes a handicap to creative species branching. I know there is the potential for arguments here, so it could be a 'think about this additional request' rather than a 'give me this' kinda deal.

Species-specific evolution bonus: in addition to player bonus, some species could grant more 'genes' for anyone who evolves them. Basically, older species that are widespread and well established in the world, having had more time for latent mutations to develop. Thus there would be more incentive to branch these older species and less incentive to only evolve from the latest, most gene-laden creatures. Also, species that are under attack from lots of predators could get a bonus due to the 'evolutionary pressure'.

Efficiency: simple, effective creatures should have more of a chance to survive. Both myself and Tux fell into the trap of killing off basic critters. In our world, we still have sponges and algae hanging around. I think a simple creature with good feeding abilities relative to its complexity should always do well. And we should bear in mind that a more complex creature is probably a much better meal for a predator. In both my NESLife3 and Tux's NES we have ramped up the complexity in a few turns without having improved the feeding abilities. So there should be more reward for doing so IMO. Its the same pattern of players in an arms race with claws and poison spikes etc, while in reality a feed and breed strategy leads to the biggest numbers, updates should reflect this.

PS: @flyingchicken that does look intresting!
Modern Algae and Sponges only seem simple to us. They are themselves rather complex creatures...

Top Bottom