New NESes, ideas, development, etc

Ok, new to NESing old to civfanatics, I am here to attempt to start my own NES. While I don’t plan to make something nearly as complex as the others I see on here, I hope it can be something new and fun for y’all to enjoy. I plan to use CiV for the visuals, but the game will follow none of the traditional rules of CiV. Without further ado, my idea:

Settlers of Islandia (Working Title)
The premise of the game is that you will take control of a group of settlers and make a name for yourself in the land of Islandia (again working title). You will have two basic starting options:

Backstories:
NATIVE: Your life has been an endless cycle of migrations between the northern tribal encampments. Fed up with tribal squabbles and rituals, you have decided to forsake your old life and start anew on the island of Islandia. Now is your chance to create a better life for your children, for your people. It is your society, your civilization. Will it be one of greatness or will your people fall prey to disease, corruption, and death? Can you build a civilization that will stand the test of time?
EMPIRE: Your life has been a long one of toil and strife to make a meagre living at the mercy of the Empire and its Bureaucracy. Sick of high taxes and political corruption, you took your few belongings, picked up your family and friends, and have made your way north to the virgin isle of Islandia. Now is your chance to create a better life for your children, for your people. It is your society, your civilization. Will it be one of greatness or will your people fall prey to disease, corruption, and death? Can you build a civilization that will stand the test of time?

You can then personalize your backstory a bit by adding information about your personal life, how you gathered your group of settlers, and where specifically you came from. Either backstory will also have its own perks/weaknesses. For instance, if you started as a native you would get a bonus to foraging but would also start with lower relations with the established Native Tribe. Once you have chosen a backstory you would then name your Main Character, his/her Spouse, and your Tribe/Country. After that you would be thrown in the world to begin building your legacy.

There would be many gamey aspects of it, but my goal is to give a fluid environment that allows for a lot of player-player interactions and roleplay. I want wars, feuds, political scheming, broken alliances, conquest, and all that jazz. I want it to start out small, with everyone settling and growing. Then once you have your bearings there would be fighting and conquests and alliances. . Along the way I have a few scenarios planned to shake things up (outside invasions and such). Eventually countries would form. Soon the whole island is settled, and finally consolidated into one kingdom. At this point I could always remake the map with more to it to the south and west. Continuing to do this, the game in theory could never end (haha…).

What do you think? Anyone interested? Questions? Suggestions?

Sounds interesting, our last attempt at a colonial styled game fizzled out but I blame that more on a new GM who probably found out that running a game was more trouble than he originally thought. That and it was heavily role-play based which is always the kiss of death in my experience in pretty much every forum game I've been in.

I'm interested but my advice would not be to rely on the players role-playing with each other, if you want role-play then you will have to set story hooks for your players. Personally I believe that with a strong game core and an active GM any NES should be able to succeed, but their deaths are usually caused when the GM loses interest. Again this is all in my experience and some older NESers might tell you otherwise.

Yes GM loss of interest has been the main killer of all the forum games I have seen played. Sadly the bit about the role-play has been true in my experience as well (my experience has been GaP, Feuds, and Realpolitiks in the CiV and CivIV forums), that is why the game will only provide the environment, but will rely on much more gamey aspects to function. I was definitely thinking there would be some sort of bonus for roleplay however, and I was hoping that the NES audience would be more inclined to roleplay.

Yes GM loss of interest has been the main killer of all the forum games I have seen played. Sadly the bit about the role-play has been true in my experience as well (my experience has been GaP, Feuds, and Realpolitiks in the CiV and CivIV forums), that is why the game will only provide the environment, but will rely on much more gamey aspects to function. I was definitely thinking there would be some sort of bonus for roleplay however, and I was hoping that the NES audience would be more inclined to roleplay.

While I do believe that we are more likely to RP a strong foundation of game mechanics are needed to invest people into the game like talon said. A good place to look for a NES that did this well is Immaculate's fantasy NES he provided the players with events that naturally led into roleplay, also he hosted a contest which produced a lot of work but that wouldnt work as well if it was done early or more than once in a while. Of course lack of GM interest killed the game so it also works as a cautionary tale for new GMs: everything could be going great but you can't predict when you will lose interest.

FWIW, I've found NESers roleplay when there is already a detailed framework established rather than when they have to provide their own.

Hmm, interesting. How do you suggest I provide said framework? Good but not limiting mechanics and detailed lore/backstory?

While I do believe that we are more likely to RP a strong foundation of game mechanics are needed to invest people into the game like talon said. A good place to look for a NES that did this well is Immaculate's fantasy NES he provided the players with events that naturally led into roleplay, also he hosted a contest which produced a lot of work but that wouldnt work as well if it was done early or more than once in a while. Of course lack of GM interest killed the game so it also works as a cautionary tale for new GMs: everything could be going great but you can't predict when you will lose interest.

Interesting, I will definitely take a look at that. Do you think an ultimate goal would better stoke competitiveness and interest? For example my goal is for people to establish kingdoms and governments and stuff, but would a a ranking system of Power or Prestige, for example, make people more interested? Or would a more open game encouraging personal goals work just-as if not better?

How do you suggest I provide said framework? Good but not limiting mechanics and detailed lore/backstory?

Detailed lore and backstory. The more fully fleshed out a situation is before they jump in, the quicker and better they will proceed.

Do you think an ultimate goal would better stoke competitiveness and interest? For example my goal is for people to establish kingdoms and governments and stuff, but would a a ranking system of Power or Prestige, for example, make people more interested? Or would a more open game encouraging personal goals work just-as if not better?

NESers are good at providing their own goals. Let them.

Don't get me wrong, a system like that would be perfectly practicable. Just don't try to force people into focusing on it.

In short, I guess, (and these are just my observations) NESers are excellent at providing a way forward. Your goal is to help them by telling them as much as possible about where they are and where they came from.

Detailed lore and backstory. The more fully fleshed out a situation is before they jump in, the quicker and better they will proceed.

Agreed. Some variety in reasons to come to this new world wouldn't help either. Some colonists might have more support from their home governments than others, but it could cost them in other ways (more restrictions/orders from home, perhaps?). The way they interact with the old world could be very interesting (wars, economics, motives, political unrest, etc.). These aren't brand new countries, after all. At least, not yet ;)

Just a thought. I've toyed with a similar idea myself from time to time.

NESers are good at providing their own goals. Let them.

Don't get me wrong, a system like that would be perfectly practicable. Just don't try to force people into focusing on it.

In short, I guess, (and these are just my observations) NESers are excellent at providing a way forward. Your goal is to help them by telling them as much as possible about where they are and where they came from.

Agreed on all counts. Just don't make it so hard on yourself that you get tired of running it quickly. I say go for it. :)

Hmm, speaking of the colonists and their home countries, I was planning on having the tech level be bronze age (warriors and spearmen) and eventually get up to iron age (horses and swordsmen). I thought the medieval-esque setting would be conducive to political intrigue and warring. The relationship with the empire would more be that of Britons vs Rome rather than Colonists vs the British. It is probably more personal opinion than anything, but which would you guys find more appealing?

Historically, colonialism is thought of as the early industrial or late renniasance periods, but I personally would prefer a more medieval setting. Perhaps galleys or triremes could be the basic mode of transportation. I am definitely interested in this possible NES, if it helps. :)

Historically, colonialism is thought of as the early industrial or late renniasance periods, but I personally would prefer a more medieval setting. Perhaps galleys or triremes could be the basic mode of transportation. I am definitely interested in this possible NES, if it helps. :)

I think you forget about the Greeks and Phoenicians. :3 They had colonies EVERYWHERE in the Mediterranean and Black Seas. In the Bronze Age.

And in the Middle Ages, Vikings settled in Iceland.

Yes - the Middle Ages saw the Viking colonies sprout up in France, Ireland, Russia, Iceland, Greenland, Quebec, and Nova Scotia. It also saw Vikings in Italy, and Vikings trading with Persia.

I've been considering writing up a ruleset for an industry based NES. I probably won't run it, due to my notable lack of modding skills, but I think it could be fun.

One question I have is whether I should do a fantasy or real map.

Thoughts?

Hmm, speaking of the colonists and their home countries, I was planning on having the tech level be bronze age (warriors and spearmen) and eventually get up to iron age (horses and swordsmen). I thought the medieval-esque setting would be conducive to political intrigue and warring. The relationship with the empire would more be that of Britons vs Rome rather than Colonists vs the British. It is probably more personal opinion than anything, but which would you guys find more appealing?

It could work with either one story-wise, in my opinion the real question is what would be the difference in the game benefits that each side would receive? Britons vs Rome would be more balanced and is a safer choice but a well done colonial era game could have some nice potential for asymmetric warfare, the problem is that if you mess up the bonuses on that the game will crash hard.

Ok, here is the ruleset I have devised so far.

Spoiler :
Settlers of Islandia

Intro: The premise of the game is that you will take control of a group of settlers and make a name for yourself in the land of Islandia (again working title). You will have two basic starting options:

Backstories:
  • NATIVE: Your life has been an endless cycle of migrations between the northern tribal encampments. Fed up with tribal squabbles and rituals, you have decided to forsake your old life and start anew on the island of Islandia. Now is your chance to create a better life for your children, for your people. It is your society, your civilization. Will it be one of greatness or will your people fall prey to disease, corruption, and death? Can you build a civilization that will stand the test of time?
  • EMPIRE: Your life has been a long one of toil and strife to make a meagre living at the mercy of the Empire and its Bureaucracy. Sick of high taxes and political corruption, you took your few belongings, picked up your family and friends, and have made your way north to the virgin isle of Islandia. Now is your chance to create a better life for your children, for your people. It is your society, your civilization. Will it be one of greatness or will your people fall prey to disease, corruption, and death? Can you build a civilization that will stand the test of time?

Social Group: For the sake of this game, a social group is defined as a group of affiliated main/major characters and all of their followers and their followers’ followers. Social groups have a few base stats that define them: Name, Leader, Government, Society, and Race. You will define each of these at the beginning, and later will only be able to change them gradually if at all.
Spoiler :
Name: What is the collective group called, what is a member of that group called?
  • Leader: Who is their leader?
  • Government: How are they structured?
  • Society: What defines their society?
  • Race: If it is race-exclusive, what is their race?

Society: At the beginning of the game you will be able to define your follower’s society through their values and social tenants. After that, only small changes by the eldest of a society will be accepted by members of a society. You can define your society in anyway you see fit, but all will share the same basic units of “values” and “social tenants”. A value is something held dear or expected by society. For example one society may have the value of physical strength, while another may value the acquisition of a certain skill. A social tenant is something your society expects of its members. For example a society may expect the women to subordinate to men (patriarchy), or they may expect people to divide themselves based upon profession (caste). You society can be strict and have many values/tenants, or it could be lax with relatively few.

Characters: There are three types of characters: Main Characters, Major Characters and Followers. Main characters are those controlled by a player. Major characters are those that hold titles/land/followers. Follower Characters are just that, they follow a Main or Major Character. Each of these types have their own stats associated with them. All types will require food to survive, and will age and die just as in real life.
  • Main Characters: Controlled directly by the player, main characters are your avatar in the game. Just as you eat you must feed your main character in the game. Your main character eats ⅕ of one growth each season.
    Stats:
    Spoiler :
    • Name: Common name and family name, can be unique to different societies.
    • Tite: What titles in the government of your social group you hold.
    • Age: A year. Average lifespan is going to be between 40 and 60 years old.
    • Traits: Numerical values given at birth that determine any number of things.
      • Strength: Physical strength. Taken into account when in combat.
      • Intelligence: Mental Prowess. Taken into account when performing many actions.
      • Charisma: Natural base ability to talk to people. Taken into account when interacting with NPCs.
    • Characteristics: Descriptors that color how NPCs view your character.
    • Skills: A list of your skills (see skills section).
    • Ethnicity: At the start there will be two main races: Imperial and Native. (Those who choose the Empire background can create their own race at the beginning if they wish). While at the beginning race is going to be just another stat, depending on player actions it could turn into something fiercely important to their society.
    • Religion: What religion you claim your character follows.
    • Social Group: What social group you are apart of. (See social group section)
    • Holdings: What hexes you personally oversee.
    • Inventory: Holds items and personal money.
    • Spouse: Who you’re married to.
    • Children: Your kids.
    • Followers: Who follows you.
  • Major Characters: NPCs controlled directly by me. Major characters will come about when (1) there are NPC factions that pop up to make the game more interesting, (2) when you start a family and declare your heir he/she will then become a Major Character that you will still have to feed each season (congrats), or (3) when Followers of Main Characters are given titles or holdings (similar to a house elf). Promoted Followers will no longer blindly follow, but will have their own stats and followers. They will like the one that promoted them though!
  • Follower Characters: Follow a Main or Major Characters. Follower characters are flat and devout. They will do what you tell them when you tell them. They will follow the Main/Major character that holds the highest influence over them. In addition, if they are starving, being killed, or otherwise in pain/danger jump sides if a Main/Major character in an adjacent tile has extra food stored up and is willing to take them (otherwise they will be forced to die/starve/or in some otherway be hurt by your negligence). Unaffiliated Followers will be randomly around and can be swayed to join through speeches or propaganda.
    Stats:
    Spoiler :
    • Name: Common Name, Family Name, can be different in different societies.
    • Master: Who they follow
    • Ethnicity: Their race (see above)
    • Profession: Their specialization. (Makes them adept at certain actions)
    • Social Group: The social group they are apart of.

Items: Items are things you can hold in your inventory that can give you perks ranging from increasing your character’s traits, to giving them extra defense, to helping them gain a skill more quickly. You acquire items by bartering for them with traders. (See section on trading).

Influence: I have set aside this separate topic for influence over follower characters because it is going to be such an essential part of the game. You can increase/decrease your influence over follower characters mainly through actions. Give a speech and they will like you more, lead them into an ambush and they will like you less. Influence is calculated temporarily and permanently. Temporary influence resets each turn, while permanent influence is long term and will never lessen due to time. Permanent influence is gained by garnering large amounts of Temporary Influence with a particular Follower. When your permanent influence is higher than that of who they are following, they will begin following you. Well timed speeches (for example after a devastating loss) can be powerful in winning over followers from your enemy.

Actions: Main Characters and Major Characters can perform three actions per turn. In addition, they can assign each of their followers one action each turn. Actions range from “move north”, to “kill player”, to “procreate.” Basically you can do anything (within reason) that you can think of. Just ask and I will tell you what the action would cost and requirements. I will however provide a base list to get the ball rolling. At the start actions will be basic, but will grow more advanced as your societies grows more advanced. Your actions will have a chance of failure and a degree of success that is largely dependent on what it is you're trying to do. Some things (like eating or breathing) are implied and will not take from your three actions.
Spoiler :
  • Move: Specify where you want to move to (whether it be an adjacent tile or a general direction).
  • Procreate: Make babies to continue your line.
  • Attack: Attack a character in the same or adjacent tile.
  • Forage: Gather growth/commerce/production from the current tile. (each action can only gather 1 output point from a tile)
  • Produce: Uses gathered production points and applies them to the current build task.
  • Work: Works the improvement on a tile. (each action can only gather 1 output point from the tile.
  • Study/Train: Attempt to gain a skill. (a skill requires 10 skill gains to master, you can only Study/Train once each turn)
  • Build: Initiates build task such as a city, unit, or improvement.
  • Negotiate: Talk to an NPCs to negotiate a deal or alliance and/or influence them to act in a certain way (negotiate action is not required between players, only between a player and a Major Character).
  • Give Speech: Raise your influence over all Follower Characters in adjacent tiles of your Main Character (can only be performed by Main Characters).
  • Change social tenant: add or change a social tenant (anyone can attempt, few will be able to affect change).
  • Change Societal Value: add or change a value (anyone can attempt, few will be able to affect change).
  • Change government: change government structure (anyone can attempt, few will be able to affect change).

Skills: You have the option of studying or training to acquire a skill. Skills can range from martial skill, to rhetoric skill, to diplomacy skills. Skills generally will increase the likelihood your action will be a success or its outcome will be more positive. In the case of martial skill, it will increase your ability to fight, whether that be defending from an attack, attacking another, or survival chance on the battlefield. You may only hold two skills at a time, Follower characters can only hold one skill at a time. Skills can be earned through the train/study action, and require ten skill gains to master (you can’t use it until you master it).
Here is a list of all the skills this game should require, though if you think of a new one feel free to send me a message and I may add it:
Spoiler :
  • Martial: Increase in strength when attacking or defending.
  • Rhetoric: Increase in the effectiveness of speeches and writings.
  • Diplomacy: Increase in the effectiveness of negotiations.
  • Leadership: Bonus to influence over follower, small chance that you will be able to assign followers two tasks in one turn.
  • Craft: Able to produce weapons/armor/trade goods from production.
  • Master Craft: Requires craft skill. Able to produce better weapons/armor/trade goods from production.
  • Mercantile: Increase in the ability to get better prices and better quality goods through trading.
  • Farming: increase the effectiveness of farm related actions
  • Prospecting: increase in the effectiveness of mining related actions
  • Hunting: increase in the effectiveness of hunting.
  • Masonry: increase in the effectiveness of quarrying and building.

Technology: Technologic advancement in the game will come about very gradually to reflect the gradual nature of the turns. At the start, the game will be in bronze age level technology. This means the crafting of spears/shields/armor and rudimentary swords. As the game progresses, you will have new breakthroughs in technology but will never have to worry about directing this yourself.

Roleplay: Being on the NES forum, I expect a minimal amount of roleplay, however it is not required. Those who do roleplay will get a bonus to roleplayed actions/negotiations. That being said, roleplay people! The more you do the richer the game will be. Do assume though that whatever you roleplay will be common knowledge to every character in the game.

Updates and Turns: The game is divided into turns, and one season passes each turn. There are two seasons in a year (summer and winter). I am unsure how often I will need to update, but I’m assuming it will be pretty close to once each season. Nevertheless, it will be as much as is needed, no more no less.

So what do you guys think? Anything I've left out? Anything that needs changing? I do plan on giving more information about the Empire and the Native cultures, adding more skills and actions, and adding a bit about religion.

Yes - the Middle Ages saw the Viking colonies sprout up in France, Ireland, Russia, Iceland, Greenland, Quebec, and Nova Scotia. It also saw Vikings in Italy, and Vikings trading with Persia.

I remembered of Iceland because in Portuguese, Islandia is Iceland. :p

I already knew that the Vikings had come to America, but I never knew that the American viking colonies had success.

Top Bottom