Anyone without Hardware T&L buy it anyways?

regoarrarr

King
If so, how did it run? I might go buy it today even though my video card doesn't have T&L. I have a 2.4GHz with 1GB RAM, and that was the only thing my system didn't pass.

This test also says my video card can't run the Sims 2 (though for a different reason as Sims 2 doesn't require T&L) and Sims 2 does run on my system (though with some jerkiness)

Anyone have any comments?

Civ 4 requires Transform and LIghting... Your sure??
Uh oh...

I remember when i bought Halo for computer(which needs T&L), it worked, except the graphics were horrible, yet still playable.

It may be time for a new video card....

I'll still buy the game even though I don't have the video hardware requirements. I'm a real loyal fan of Civilization and many others are too. That's why the Civ is at it's fourth release. I have all the original copies of Civ from #1-3 and will add #4 to the collection.

Here's something for the developers to work on for the first patch of Civ4. Permit the game to somehow play without T&L or at least low settings of T&L. You'll have a lot of happy Civ gamers in the long run.

To answer my own question, I bought it, and it loads, but the world is all black. You can kind of make out rivers, but the game (at least for me) was definitely not playable

OK, on my Dell 600M, with 512 RAM and a 1.5 G Pentium M chip, running XP Home with SP2, and using only a 32mb video card (which DOES have Hardware T&L but which, at only 32mb, falls short on the videocard megabyte requirement as stated on the box), the game seems to work OK.

The initial movie is AWESOME. I noticed a couple of very minor skips. I tried it for about 20 minutes in tutorial mode, and it seems to work just fine. The graphics are a tiny bit slow, and Sid's voice skips once in a while (yes, Sid himself tutors you, including a cute, nerdy picture of him). Altogether, seems better than I had hoped. I haven't even turned down the graphics settings on the game yet. This is straight out of the box.

Now on to my desktop, which runs a similar system, but has a videocard with 64mb and NO Hardware T&L. I will report soon. Then I'll compile the information into a post.

OK, my Dell desktop with a 2.6 G Pentium chip, 512 RAM, running XP Professional with SP 2, using a 64 mb videocard WITHOUT Hardware T&L doesn't seem to run the game. All of the leaders look like cheshire cats from Alice in Wonderland. That is to say, all you can see are their eyes and mouths. Worse, you can't see the land at all, only blackness, and it's not fog of war.

I tried to turn the graphics settings down to low, and when I restarted the game, I could no longer see the options menus for graphics and sound. They were blank, so I couldn't tell what setting I was on. The game still didn't work. I'm glad I can play on my laptop (see previous post), but it looks like I'll need a new video card to play this game with my son when he visits me.

Has anybody without T&L gotten it to work?

So far the "chesire cat" "black landscape" thing appears to be independent of the lack of T&L. i.e. people with T&L are having the same problem. In many replies people have solved the problem via updating their drivers.

So, has anybody without T&L (say, for example, with an Intel card) gotten it to work at a playable level?

I didn't have T&L and I bought the game and a new graphics card while I was out. First I installed without the new graphics card and tried to play. It was all black and jerky like some other people said. So I installed the new card and tried to play. Well, first let me say that the graphics card I got doesn't say anywhere on it that it has T&L. I asked the guy at the store and he didn't really know what that is, but said this card should work. I got a GeForce MX 4000 for like 67 bucks. Well, the game works a lot better, but I got a message saying that my system was under the minimum requirements, and the game just crashed while I was playing it, although it had worked for about 3 hours. I assume my new graphics card is better but still not up to par. I will probably take it back and shell out a bunch of money for something more advanced.

I bought it without T&L - doesn't work on my PC but it does on the laptop (which doesn't have T&L either), but most of the animations are missing and the explored area of the map is almost completely dark.

SomethingWitty said:
Has anybody without T&L gotten it to work?

So far the "chesire cat" "black landscape" thing appears to be independent of the lack of T&L. i.e. people with T&L are having the same problem. In many replies people have solved the problem via updating their drivers.

So, has anybody without T&L (say, for example, with an Intel card) gotten it to work at a playable level?

No. Have the intel card no T&L and black landscape prevails.

I have a new laptop that has the Intel 915 Express chipset. I'm going to try it. It has a fast processor and a lot of memory, so I'm going to hope it can compensate. It doesn't support hardware T&L, but otherwise it's a new chipset. And it has 128 MB of video memory

The question is... if it doesn't work, can I upgrade?

Does anyone know if this will work, and also if I will be able to use it with my laptop?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat01151&id=1114614364423

Top Bottom