Elizabeth in England - Earth Map 18 Civs

algfr

Chieftain
Hello enveryone,

I'm currently playing a game with England/lizzie on a Earth Map with 18 Civs.

I've been able to build the Pyramides to get Representation early on and the Light House + the Great Library. I'm reasonnably ahead in the tech race by 1500.

I was only able to settle Great britain, Ireland and Western Scandinavia (for Silver and Whales) : 4 cities.

No, I'm in trouble cuz Germans/Chinese are fast exanding and my military sucks. They have at least 7/8 cities !

I have a mixed economy based on cottages since Liz is financial, this helps me to keep a 90% science rate. Don't really know if that is good or if i should go full SE...

What should be my options ?

1) Stay nice to everbody and colonize some of America (Canada/Antillas) that is left uncivilized (though i'm afraid of slow expansion because of distance support) ? I should consider then to build courthouses and maybe the forbidden city but that might prove very long.

2) Rush for english soldier to invade France (Paris is a big prize and is left standalone). The city is full of bowmen but i guess if i build a few hand of cannons and english soldiers, it should be enough. Pb is it takes me at least 6/7 turns to build a unit and my empire is small.

i'm playing on noble.

Thanks for your help :eek:

Hmm. well, you're in a conundrum. IMO I would definitely try to take over Paris. You'll need a continental place for your units...Just build a whole lot of units, and maybe whip some units too. You desperately need to build a large military, and fast. Lots of muskets/red coats, Cannons, the works. I'd say charge Paris with at least 2-3X the number of troops that the French have defending it.

After that, I'd head towards Madrid and capture that, too..ESPECIALLY if it's a holy city, which it usually is in my experience, usually Buddhism. Also, build a monument or library in order to pup your borders against the Germans. You need as much land as you can at this point.

From there I would strike out against the Germans, but you'll need a LOT of units if they really have 7-8 cities...Take Berlin and a few other cities to round out your empire; if they have cities in Scandinavia, get those too. From that point you'll probably have to fight back the Germans from time to time and maybe destroy them completely.

I just noticed you said that it's 1500 A.D. (or is it B.C.?). If I were you, I would probably just start over :rolleyes:. It's kind of late in the game to be aggressively expanding your empire and to have cities that are actually useful in a realistic amount of time...Also what kind of victory are you going for? All of these factor into your game plan. Good luck.

1500 AD

Thanks for the reply

I definitely have to reload mygame earlier to prep a stack of units to crush the French.

I was initailly going for a spacerace victory and plaing peacefully but i have too few cities.

I guess colonizing America is a waste don't you think so ?

I suggest you try to colonize south western africa, first it gets you some good resources and you can build good producing cities there were you can build units to try to conquer africa. Thats what i do...

Yes don't mess with America...it's not worth it

Hmmm. Monty is usually a backward walkover though. Also, if you tech decently it's possible to colonize the vast majority of south america peacefully snice HC gets trapped on the west coast with 3 cities. You'd probably need to stay at 3-5 cities and FP until state property though.

Europe has great land though and makes a viable expansion target. Move the palace onto the mainland before taking too many cities - colonial maintenance on the british isles won't be bad but it would be terrible if the capitol remains london and you get 4+ cities on the mainland. Japan has this issue too, but both can work around it easily.

Thanks for the replies guys.

But that opens a very interesting question... is colonizing worth enough (except for implanting a shabby city to get to oil in the middle of the desert) ?

I guess i should overrun Paris and turn it into my capitol.

I'm playing this map with lizzie right now.

I pretty much own all of Europe. Madrid and Paris are super cities (madrid more so) as they have so many resources!

An early as poss rush on them would yield a powerful city.

The main issue I have on this game is that, for example, when i took Hamburg of the Germans it was quite close to Russias border.

So I took it, held it for a while only for the Russians to take it over via cultural. So then you go for the Russians! But the cities on their borders are the same so you end up systematically going through everyone as its such a large landmass.

An easier start IMO would be America or Egypt, but I prefer to stay English! :)

I think if I try another Earth game, I'd avoid Europe. Way too cramped for me. Or what I'd do is right off the bat, I'd get rid of the French and Romans, for example, and take every resource square in Europe and flip a coin whether to keep it in or not. Or maybe move France to where Shaka would be, and move the Romans to Brazil. That'd make the map space out a bit better.

I won colonizing the Americas. I controlled everything except the west coast, signed defensive pacts with all of europe and turtled for a space race victory. By the end, the American colonies were pumping out butt-loads of units. I went from being waaaaay down at the bottom in power under china to the top. Transports take about 5 turns from the east coast to the isles.

I guess i should overrun Paris and turn it into my capitol.
Yes, you should overrun Paris, but not in 1500AD but in 1500BC ;)

I don't get it,

Isn't that too expensive to build off shore cities

Don't you have to move the palace there ?

Its expensive, so deficit research, get a forbidden palace up, trade and get some cottages going.

dood. If you start a game on an island that only has room for 2 cities and another island that only has space for 1, you better beeline sailing and start spamming units to grab mainland cities. Not only is Paris (on earth 18 huge map) by and large the best production city that I've ever seen in this game bar none, but Germany, Rome, and Spain are all ridiculous resource centers. I'm extremely surprised that you put off invading mainland Europe until now. I would never bother going very far into an Earth 18 map game without eradicating Europe before Hinduism is founded.

Also, to whoever said that they'd rather start in America, good luck. Washington DC and the east coast of North America is weak resource-wise, production-wise, and you have to deal with Monty. I'm not saying it's not doable, it surely is. But it's in no way better than starting 1 coastal tile away from mainland Europe.

dood. If you start a game on an island that only has room for 2 cities and another island that only has space for 1, you better beeline sailing and start spamming units to grab mainland cities. Not only is Paris (on earth 18 huge map) by and large the best production city that I've ever seen in this game bar none, but Germany, Rome, and Spain are all ridiculous resource centers. I'm extremely surprised that you put off invading mainland Europe until now. I would never bother going very far into an Earth 18 map game without eradicating Europe before Hinduism is founded.

Also, to whoever said that they'd rather start in America, good luck. Washington DC and the east coast of North America is weak resource-wise, production-wise, and you have to deal with Monty. I'm not saying it's not doable, it surely is. But it's in no way better than starting 1 coastal tile away from mainland Europe.

well the thing with America is in the late game you can turn it into a major power with the rights civics. You just need to start settling, get chicago for your food capital, take panama canal in order to station troops down there to take aztec by surprise.

I guess Europe is in turmoil without the human player to "straighten them out" (IE take all of Europe for yourself pre-axemen). A lot of warring and border disputes keep Europe from developing into the kind of power that a human player can take it to. But barring excessive warring in Asia, China should be able to gather a decent invasion force on higher levels of difficulty.

I guess Europe is in turmoil without the human player to "straighten them out" (IE take all of Europe for yourself pre-axemen). A lot of warring and border disputes keep Europe from developing into the kind of power that a human player can take it to. But barring excessive warring in Asia, China should be able to gather a decent invasion force on higher levels of difficulty.

i do get the occasional game or two where Europe actually creates global emipres...French/Brits in Canada, Germans in South America....Spanish and Romans in Africa.....Russians just forming a huge circle chunk of a nation is cool too.

I've never been anyone but Rome or France on the Earth 18 map, so I'm usually the one with such empires. Actually, I usually have won before anyone can settle overseas! I probably should bump up a level when playing Earth 18 as Rome/Spain/France.

Top Bottom