[Map Script] PerfectWorld2.py

Yeah I see what you mean about cows generally representing bison, camels, goats depending on the environment. Boy does blue marble complement PerfectWorld! Maps begin to feel alive like they are an ecosystem. Even the plains look a lot better. Instead of graphically replacing cows with bison, it is a lot simpler to do that transformation in your mind with imagination. Probably more rewarding too.

Then comes the civilizations upon the perfect world. Gradually the ecosystem on the map is eroded away and cannot be recovered. Trees cut down, plains replaced by workshops and roads. At the end of the game, the perfect world map is largely dead and smoking and looks only a pale shade of how it looked at 4000BC. This is good because it's actually very similar to civilizations playing out in the real world.

Perfect world is pretty darn cool. There are more improvements that could be made, but a lot of them can be just simple transformations in our mind as we look at the regions on the blue marble perfect world at 4000BC.

Cheers.

I downloaded the rev DCM version; only complaint is that it seems to have largely removed the desert, although I only generated one map so that could be an anomaly.

Yeah seeing desert can initially be a turn off but it so totally depends on landmass shape. A big rounded landmass will have a large desert. You have to think what would happen if the real planet had such a large landmass on it. Probably a big swathe of desert in the interior... In the real world, even a smallish "continent" like Australia is basically a desert with a bit of shrubbery around the edges.
Cheers.

I just tried the option to chose a north/south continental separation instead of a east/west one. It doesn't work...

Yeah seeing desert can initially be a turn off but it so totally depends on landmass shape. A big rounded landmass will have a large desert. You have to think what would happen if the real planet had such a large landmass on it. Probably a big swathe of desert in the interior... In the real world, even a smallish "continent" like Australia is basically a desert with a bit of shrubbery around the edges.
Cheers.

Honestly, this really isn't how it works [in practice] in the real world.
Africa
South America
North America

Of the posted examples, North America is perhaps most akin to what PW2 generates. But you'll notice this is only really true if you exclude Canada from the continent and desertify the majority of what is fertile plains and grasslands in the United States' midwest region.

At this time, PW2 doesn't seem to properly handle assignment of moisture values for tiles as related to nearby rivers or oceanic currents (as I have previously noted). The net effect is far too few evergreen forests, erroneous placement of jungle (seen at high latitudes too often, too sparse in low latitudes and continental interiors), and over-prevalent and generally too predictable desertification of interior regions.

PW2 is of course the only script I can play on. It's amazing and I love it to death. But it's not wholly accurate or without flaws. :D

Yes, I see your point. In terms of Africa and the Americas in the real world, they are still quite "narrow" more north/south aligned continents compared to some of the shapes in perfect world which can be quite fat east/west. The interesting continent shape to compare perfect world to would be Asia/Europe. Here's a pic. It doesn't show desert very well! Australia looks pretty green but it's basically dead dry desert most of it. Hmmmm.
Cheers

One thing you'll notice if you look at PTM's map of Africa and compare it to a map marked with latitude (e.g. here) is that the green belt surrounds the equator and the deserts are centered at 20 degrees latitude north and south. PW2 has variables that control the latitude components of its model as well as a geostrophicFactor variable to control the strength of the geostrophic flow compared to monsoon rains. Perhaps cranking up the geostrophic factor and adjusting the latitude variables a bit would tidy up the placement of desert.

Honestly, this really isn't how it works [in practice] in the real world.
Africa
South America
North America

Of the posted examples, North America is perhaps most akin to what PW2 generates. But you'll notice this is only really true if you exclude Canada from the continent and desertify the majority of what is fertile plains and grasslands in the United States' midwest region.

At this time, PW2 doesn't seem to properly handle assignment of moisture values for tiles as related to nearby rivers or oceanic currents (as I have previously noted). The net effect is far too few evergreen forests, erroneous placement of jungle (seen at high latitudes too often, too sparse in low latitudes and continental interiors), and over-prevalent and generally too predictable desertification of interior regions.

PW2 is of course the only script I can play on. It's amazing and I love it to death. But it's not wholly accurate or without flaws. :D

Part of the problem also is that I don't currently simulate any erosion. Continents very often jut right out of the ocean to quite high altitudes near the coast, and this blocks the moisture coming in from the ocean. If you look at the Amazon basin you can see that there is really nothing blocking the east wind until you get to the Andes. Sometimes you see this in PW too but not really enough. It's somthing I should work on.

Right now I'm working on a new version that has quite a few new features and bug fixes for some horrendous bugs I can't believe I didn't notice. The toroidal option works and is alot cooler than I thought it would be. :)

Have you thought about changing the world sizes for the update? Personally, I would like to see the 1.6:1 aspect ratio of the standard map rather than the 2.2:1 ratio that the current version of PW uses. I'd also like options for forest levels :).

Have you thought about changing the world sizes for the update? Personally, I would like to see the 1.6:1 aspect ratio of the standard map rather than the 2.2:1 ratio that the current version of PW uses. I'd also like options for forest levels :).

Yes and yes.

I reverted back to the ratio in PW1 for two reasons. I really didn't like how the climate zones were compressed into a very thin horizontal line, and also the reason I stretched the map in the first place was to make room for the east/west continent division without scrunching them up too much. Well, I decided I really hate the east/west thing and I am determined to bring back the meteors! (Uh, I still have yet to figure out how, hopefully that won't delay the release too long.) So the reason for the wide maps is going away.

Also, I have a new variable that controls the amount of trees at 'jungle' level in addition to the one that controls where the jungle level is terms of rainfall. By default it's still 100 percent trees at jungle, because I really like wild areas to look wild and also I feel it balances the fertile grassland starts with the plains and desert starts.

Yes and yes.

I reverted back to the ratio in PW1 for two reasons. I really didn't like how the climate zones were compressed into a very thin horizontal line, and also the reason I stretched the map in the first place was to make room for the east/west continent division without scrunching them up too much. Well, I decided I really hate the east/west thing and I am determined to bring back the meteors! (Uh, I still have yet to figure out how, hopefully that won't delay the release too long.) So the reason for the wide maps is going away.

Also, I have a new variable that controls the amount of trees at 'jungle' level in addition to the one that controls where the jungle level is terms of rainfall. By default it's still 100 percent trees at jungle, because I really like wild areas to look wild and also I feel it balances the fertile grassland starts with the plains and desert starts.

You'll still keep an option for those of us who like wide maps available, right?

You'll still keep an option for those of us who like wide maps available, right?

I'm just talking about the default settings. Really you can have maps of any dimension, but you have to change two different sets of dimensions. I'll make sure to include detailed instructions on how to change the map sizes.

I know the map script alters resource placement; if I ran this with a mod that had new resources, would they potentially not get placed on the map?

I know the map script alters resource placement; if I ran this with a mod that had new resources, would they potentially not get placed on the map?

All resources are placed generically from the XML, so they should work fine. The things that might not work are terrain and features. Mods that use custom features and terrains would need a special version of the map.

I tried again and it worked; in retrospect, I might have been using the rev_dcm version; maybe that made the difference?

The RevDCM version makes hard coded references to the XML vanilla corporation bonuses, in an attempt to balance them. If your mod doesn't have these, it may cause the map to dump out? The map is just a curiosity prototype variant of the PerfectWorld main line.
Cheers.

This meteor thing is really difficult. I need another week to think it through. At present its an equal mix of: "works beautifully", "doesn't work", and "destroys the whole world with meteors". I know it's possible to get this right, but I need to start thinking out of the box.

Not sure if this has been posted before.

Start location placement in the RevDCM version (glider's recent build) breaks if the number of civilizations exceeds +1 over the recommended limit for a given map size (e.g., 9 players on a standard map). What happens is civilizations are placed randomly and without regard to the "only on old world" setting.

Top Bottom