Which AI personality annoys you the most?

F****** Alexander he just comes along to you EG and just completely disses your lvl 6 city and the size of your army (even if it is the largest in the game) and you go to his civilisation to find he has like two units and a city with around 4 population! Ugh...

Ramhenkintrollface SIAM sucks he appears in 90% of my games gets allied with very city state and is just plain annoying. I'm paying off everyone to kill him now last game Assyria made quick work of him before that Greece took him to town.

1. Ottomans
2. Assyria
3. Iroquois

These 3 are really annoying, especially if they're your next door neighbor.

Elizabeth or Alex if on the same continent, otherwise they are great friends. Otherwise, Shaka for his impi spam

I'm gonna come right out and say it: I don't like ANY of them. In my experience , you're lucky to have a single friend left at the end of a game. Whether it's because you had to raze a forward-settling dick's city, or if you dared to build a wonder, they'll find a reason. I had the audacity to settle a city on the far side of my empire away from anyone, and Augustus got all upset. Later, I dared to befriend a city-state and no fewer than three AIs told them to stay out of their sphere of influence.

I guess you could maybe be friends with some of them, provided you build no wonders, make no allies, settle no cities, buy no land, fight no-one, never denounce anyone, and refrain from founding a religion.

Lately I mainly prefer Non-Domination Games so any Warmonger (and the need to manage their aggression) annoys me.

Shaka: Dont give this guy an embassy. Once civil service comes around he rushes you and it hurts. So hes basically Alexander except hes an actual threat. Ironically if you do anything remotely warlike he has the audacity to call you a filthy warmongerer which makes me hate this guy immensely

Any AI that has the highest religiosity flavor and/or spam missionaries and prophets. They tend to pick the worst traits for their religion and has the temerity to spread their taint in my cities despite the fact that I'm trying to do it as well.

They deserve nothing but my full hatred, quadrupled if I'm using Civ IV AI Traits and Race For Religion mod. I really don't care if they spread it on my city-state allies but if I ever see a single Great Prophet in my territory and the civ has a trait that makes him extremely productive in terms of faith, that civ's marked for a war of extermination and its capital will be cleansed of its religion.

EDIT:

Though Alexander is the number one leader that belongs to the "hatred that goes beyond comprehension." He's just as annoying as an enemy as he is as a friend, especially when he was denounced by everyone and he starts bombarding me with DOF after saving his civilian units from Barbarians for countless times despite being denounced by him. His constant stalking of me in one of my games made me an international pariah when I accidentally befriended him.

I understand that "most annoying" is not the same as "most effective", but I'd still have to say that Alexander's AI is both annoying and effective. Now I wonder whether it would be possible to make an AI that is effective without being annoying, since the annoyance might come simply from the fact that the AI is strong and may be winning. I don't think that's entirely the case, though. For example, they could remove Alex's tendency to call you up every 10 turns just to insult you without his AI becoming any less effective.

Alex allies all the city-states and, as a result, has large cities, advanced technology, plenty of social policies, lots of happiness, lots of faith, and a large military all at the same time. He often overpowers other AIs in my games, completely destroying a few (one time, his entire continent). Not strong enough to defeat me, a human player, of course, but he makes it harder. And once I wipe him out everyone else still alive hates me, even though I just did them all a favor.

But you have to remember that ALL AIs in the game basically fit the criteria for clinical sociopathy pretty well. They're almost always only out for themselves (even if they don't even do it well sometimes) and they're utter hypocrites. It's true that some are more peaceful and/or friendly than others, but even the most pacifist ones will declare war if they think you're weak enough and they covet your land enough.

Proximity is another factor. As others have already pointed out, even the most peaceful will become more hostile if you're near them, while warlike civs that are far away can become your good friends. Simply having adjacent territory can for all intents and purposes be considered a negative diplomatic modifier.

As mentioned, some AIs are more peaceful than others, but that doesn't mean they can't be annoying. Peaceful and friendly AIs are annoying in different ways - spamming their religion (Ethiopia), spamming wonders (India), putting cities in the weirdest places (Polynesia), being technologically advanced and a legitimate threat to the space victory (Korea), and so on.

Oh, and Elizabeth is practically impossible to befriend no matter what you do, but at least even when she dislikes you she doesn't call you just to insult you like Alex does.

LoneRebel, maybe there's a way to lower the chattiness of the AI in the traits so you don't get to see Alex's gorgeous face every few turns because "your military is the laughing stock of the world".

Being in close proximity is a major factor, I would agree, having played a game where I settled 8 tiles from India and got DoWed 5 turns later. But overall the more chatty and aggressive an AI is, the more annoying they seem, so Alex fits the bill very well. In terms of effectiveness none of the AIs are very good, but Alex tends to make good use of his UA because he's aggressive and clears out barb camps quickly and likes going for city spam, so he wins most culture/faith quests more often. In comparison I would almost never expect William Orangeface to trade his last lux with me.

Apart from Alex, Gandhi is pretty close, because of the crazy nuke flavor and the indian speech.

I have found Alex easy to deal with; when I can afford it, I park on every border tile, one or two LINES of troops; and, ya know, suddenly he becomes my most loyal trading Vassal; without having to DW his mule ...

Most annoying thing is when the AI gets mad at you for warmongering when you take the capital of one civ that nobody is friends with. ONLY THE CAPITAL!
And the super weak AIs that you take their capital and ask for piece and they go "Nope", or "Gimme all your stuff!"
And the fact that AIs are stupid at seeing what's coming. Totally surrounded the borders of one civ-Nothing, had two units moving past another civs borders "Are you trying to invade me?"
Ah, the jerky, stupid, shortsighted AI! Gotta love it!

Most annoying thing is when the AI gets mad at you for warmongering when you take the capital of one civ that nobody is friends with. ONLY THE CAPITAL!
And the super weak AIs that you take their capital and ask for piece and they go "Nope", or "Gimme all your stuff!"
And the fact that AIs are stupid at seeing what's coming. Totally surrounded the borders of one civ-Nothing, had two units moving past another civs borders "Are you trying to invade me?"
Ah, the jerky, stupid, shortsighted AI! Gotta love it!

I remembered meeting one of those idiotic AIs. Napoleon did that kind of thing when he declared war to me and I've turned him from a glorious and flourishing empire into a pathetic city-state. I was thinking that he would beg for a peace treaty that would be reasonable enough for me to accept after defeating three waves of wine sipping soldiers that are supported by horse riding wine sipping soldiers and wine sipping soldiers manning cannons, lowering his military strength and making his large empire ripe for everyone's taking.

Apparently, the AI went full derp and demanded that I give him everything that I have, which made me very angry. I've had enough of the AI's repeated attempts to feed me cow manure and spent 3/4 of my city-state bribe money treasury to buy an invasion army and kick Napoleon's nuts to prove a point that he's in no position to demand. Unfortunately, AI Napoleon still made unreasonable demands despite the fact that I've made him into a pauper. Kinda ironic when he gave up after being left with one city that he managed to plunk on an island that has little resources.

To be fair, it's hard to draw the line (at least, when using Civ5's weighting paradigm) between giving in too easily (i.e. we gib u all our stuffz cuz we scurred) and being the jerk everyone loves. The PEACE_WILLINGNESS_OFFER_THRESHOLD is not particularly well implemented, since it forces the AI to evaluate on a threshold/"tier" based system, which is evidently heavily biased based on personality.

Ok, let me list people:

Dido because her backstabbing is like clockwork, it's never wrong and you can bet she's gonna backstab even if she's on a different planet

Alex is ALWAYS hostile no matter what I do, it's a force of habit

Haile is friendly but don't even try to get a religion with him around, he's just gonna spam missionaries and GPs and walk in on you like mad, same with Becca

Nappy is always plotting something and he's never ever paying full price for your luxes

Lizzy is a jerk you can never count on

Atilla is just well, beyond mad, ditto Genghis and Askia. Though all of them go all in early and if they don't take out a player and/or at least 2 CSs, they get out-teched and are timid later. Germans are furious all the way but they somehow tend to be wiped out early in my games for some reason

People who were surprisingly good to me in most games are Oda, Willy, Isabella, Enrico (because he was remembered in history as being a proper jerk), and to some degree, even ol' Monty.

You know what's the best moment, go and backstab DoW the Mayans just to hear Pacal's crazy evil laughter

oh and about Rama, I managed to completely break his AI in my last game with Venice, I was buying CSs left right and center and he just went full Genghis and started killing them one by one. I was like, no Rama, you're supposed to be a good guy, but yeah, he got mad

Top Bottom