Things you only just now realized

Razing cities doesn't increase your SP cost provided it's the first action you take. If you annex a city before razing it (say you got a puppet and changed your mind), then it's permanent. But just clicking raze doesn't change your SP cost.

I suppose it slows you down a bit if you're on a roll...maybe trying to raze cities only one at a time is a better approach.

Another strategy to think about instead of razing cities is to puppet them and maybe sell/give them to some other civ...a civ who really isn't a threat to you and who might also cause some problems for the civ you took the city from.

Sometimes I've found that if you raze a city and leave an inviting gap in the terrain some civ ...maybe the one you took it from ...will "reflexively" send over a settler...;)

Though with happiness not as much of an issue in G&K, I find just puppeting them and forgetting about them...except for the choice ones... seems to be an easy enough strategy.. though I play at the King level...maybe at the higher levels, even that is a game-losing luxury you can't afford to indulge....

I sell puppeted cities to the AIs with the lowest score. ;-)

However, that has come back to haunt me before. The problem with not razing more than one at a time, at least on the higher difficulty levels, is that a) you can't afford to get unhappiness below 10, and b) when you have an advantage, you need to roll with it as hard as you can before you lose it.

(EDIT: And obviously razing multiple at a time is a lot of unhappiness, but not as much as puppeting all those cities, in the long run. Puppeted cities tend to grow out of control unless you painstakingly pillage before you burn)

Actually, this reminds me, I occasionally get peace treaty requests from AI where they offer me like 3 cities. Never take that offer! You suddenly have a ton of unhappiness because all those cities are in revolt. I always forget that, and sometimes I don't notice they're offering me cities. Due to all the city-state treaty spam, I generally only check to make sure they're not asking me to give them anything. I don't usually check to see what they're offering me in return. :p

Razing cities doesn't increase your SP cost provided it's the first action you take. If you annex a city before razing it (say you got a puppet and changed your mind), then it's permanent. But just clicking raze doesn't change your SP cost.

Ok, I'm verifying all this tonight. I'm hearing conflicting answers here.

what if you puppet then raze at a later date?

If you puppet and raze at a different date, it will increase the count.

Basically, in early games, people were selling off all their cities right at the end to give them an easier cultural victory. They changed that by making once annexed cities increase the count. People complained and Firaxis assured them that it would not affect cities you raze right away. If it does, then it is a bug.

Basically, in early games, people were selling off all their cities right at the end to give them an easier cultural victory. They changed that by making once annexed cities increase the count. People complained and Firaxis assured them that it would not affect cities you raze right away. If it does, then it is a bug.

interesting, thanks. ive usually puppeted for lower initial happiness cost then razed when i had the spare happiness. ive never really looked at culture cost but i will now.

Yeah, it's better to eat the unhappiness for a couple of turns if you're planning on razing the city anyway.

I remember that, even though I didn't do it. I think there was something about doing the same thing for a diplomacy victory too. But I am still bothered by anyone complaining to Firaxis when there are negative consequences. Unless it's a bug, Firaxis should ignore such complainers.

I figured out why I had the misconception that National Wonder interruption resets the production. It's because sometimes (coincidentally) I would have another city ready to produce the same turn that razing interrupted the build. It just so happened that that city's Production screen came up first, showing a full 15 turns. If you cycle through to the city that *was* building it, the time remaining might 1 turn.

So, basically, lesson learned: When you can restart the National Wonder, always do it in the city which was building it before. I have been operating under this misconception for ages due to sheer coincidence. :p

Things I keep forgetting.

In vanilla, you can farm embarked units for at least two turns of ranged combat experience without killing them, rather than going for the quick one turn kill with one of your own naval units.

Similarly, you can farm civilian units (Workers and Great People) for at least two turns of ranged combat experience without killing them, rather than capturing/killing them in one turn for no experience. This also applies to City State Workers.

I recently noticed you can farm desert MOUNTAINS with the city that built petra

Yeah, swords were nerfed way too hard in G&K. I wonder if they should perhaps introduce a defense penalty vs. ranged for spearmen/pikemen?

Here's the description from the Civilopedia:

I also miss the attack bonus Swords used to get when attacking cities ...

yeah, no inherent weakness for pikes makes them pure spam unit, giving them an inherent weakness to range would help establish more of the rock paper scissors approach this game is apparently striving for.

I do believe, though, that if you puppet then raze a city (which does increase your social policy cost), and then you build another city - say, because the AI has rediculously bad city placement at times - that replacement city will not increase your social policy cost.

Am I incorrect here?

If you've raised the city and replace it, it shouldn't add. The point is your total number of cities stays the same. It isn't supposed to go down, but I don't think it should double-count.

This has probably been said earlier on in the thread but I revived Mongolia back to life when they had zero cities left. I knew you could do it to puppeted cities but it just never registered that it could work when you were wiped off the map

Bob said:
I recently noticed you can farm desert MOUNTAINS with the city that built petra

Saw this the other day when the AI assigned one of the citizens in my city containing Petra to work a mountain tile...however, are you saying that you can go ahead and build a farm on that mountain as well?

azzaman333 said:
The +:) policy in the Commerce tree gives +2 for every luxury, not every unique luxury.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong on that one, it adds +2 :) for each unique luxury, so that each unique luxury produces a total of +6 :). +2 :) per each individual luxury owned would be rather absurd and a pretty serious bug considering it runs contrary to the social policy's description.

on occasion the game may very well be lying to me, haha. i have verified on 5 different instances that when an AI will come back to you renew a lux trade deal after they have gotten the money to replicate the original trade, if you have forgotten if you have an extra and if you are not sure you remove the lux from the trade window to see what your lux count is it will say you have (for example) Citrus 2. You think, okay, i have it so i'll do the deal. When you get out of the auto-renew screen between turns you will see you are now -4 happiness. If you go to your Economic screen and look at your resources available it will say no Citrus.

because I didnt remember (i sometimes forget about expired trade deals) and I went into negative happiness i had to check again. and sure enough, on 4 more trade renewals, each time it said i had 2 of the specific lux when I actually had no extras. It's a little duplicitous for the game to do this (that or bad coding). I intend to try and screencap it for extra proof but it will require some extra micromanagement im not used to.

because of this i no longer auto-renew any deals and wait for my turn to renew them.

Top Bottom