Things you only just now realized

Sorry, but that does not avoid the auto-purchase of Great Prophets prior to entering the Industrial Era. And once you enter the Industrial Era (and have the option of buying Great Engineers with faith, assuming you finished Tradition), you can set your default to "Remind me later." There is no need for the convolutions you describe.

Sorry, but that does not avoid the auto-purchase of Great Prophets prior to entering the Industrial Era. And once you enter the Industrial Era (and have the option of buying Great Engineers with faith, assuming you finished Tradition), you can set your default to "Remind me later." There is no need for the convolutions you describe.

Actually, I did intend to say that it avoids the auto-purchase of great prophets. But now I have to go back and see if I can find the game saves to test whether that is what was actually happening.

If you fortify inquisitors (or maybe other civilian units) in all your cities and set religion to buy an engineer when faith is available, nothing will ever get purchased. You can exploit this to save faith while you finish rationalism, and then quickly pop out a couple of faith-bought scientists.

This is not an exploit, but kind of a bug. Yes, civilian units prevent auto purchase of GP (and missionaries and inquisitors). But you don't have to turn auto purchase on!

I think you meant to assert that civilians prevent the pre-industrial automatic spawning of GPr, but that is not the case.

That prophets do NOT suffer attrition in your borders.

"Oh look, Ethernopia is sending a great prophet into my borders. Mehehe - he will die long before he reaches my cap.."

[Athens has adopted a new religion.]

"NOOOOOOO!"

(Not to mention all those times I could have wiped out a competing religion but didn't.)

This is not an exploit, but kind of a bug. Yes, civilian units prevent auto purchase of GP (and missionaries and inquisitors). But you don't have to turn auto purchase on!

I think you meant to assert that civilians prevent the pre-industrial automatic spawning of GPr, but that is not the case.

I found the saved games and checked. You (and Browd) are correct. It does not prevent the automatic spanning of Great Prophets. It does prevent the automatic purchase of other great people. And I agree that it's a bug.... And, in keeping with the topic of this thread, I did just realize that this bug was present, after years of playing Civ5.

I just now realized that upgrading the carthage African forest elephant to a knight doesn't let the knight keep the elephant fear bonus -10% to enemies.

I just now realized that upgrading the carthage African forest elephant to a knight doesn't let the knight keep the elephant fear bonus -10% to enemies.

Not all promotions are retained.

Although it would be silly if Carthagian Knights had the Fearsome Elephant promotion. What, are their knights wearing Elephant masks?

This isn't a bug. You can't buy a unit of a certain type (civilian, land, or sea I think) if there is already one in the city tile. The automatic purchase option doesn't break that rule.

I hadn't realized until today that if you purchase a holy warrior unit with faith, you can mouse over the unit and it lists the religion of the unit just like a missionary or great prophet would be labeled. I bought a composite bowman using the holy warrior belief and when I moused over the unit, it said "Spanish Composite Bowman - Catholicism"... there's no benefit to this but I thought it was an interesting quirk.

We can lock and unlock our tiles to get better hammer or food etc. Yea, I just learned :(

After learning that, Luxuries, Strategic sources etc. became more valuable -Insert *You don't say* meme here- :D

I just learn yesterday that Heathen conversion instantly convert the barbarian for free. I thought that it would like using missionary convert option with "conversion bomb". which using the missionary convert point.

Imagine how pleasantly surprised I was when I first saw this and realize I just finished Borobadur few turns ago with 20-hex island on the south infested with barbarian army and navy :)

Yesterday is the first time that I unknowingly spent few turn with -70% production in all city because I converted too many barb :lol:

I just learn yesterday that Heathen conversion instantly convert the barbarian for free. I thought that it would like using missionary convert option with "conversion bomb". which using the missionary convert point.

Imagine how pleasantly surprised I was when I first saw this and realize I just finished Borobadur few turns ago with 20-hex island on the south infested with barbarian army and navy :)

Yesterday is the first time that I unknowingly spent few turn with -70% production in all city because I converted too many barb :lol:

I was recently pleasantly surprised to discover that HC works while embarked as well as against ships. But be careful - I converted an entire 4 tile island filled with barbs only to discover that none of them had Embarkation and were stranded there forever :(

I have never used Heathen conversion. I'm going to go home and play a super religious game with raging barbs and few civs... just to see what that looks like.

Fun.

I'd never knew the patronage finisher could get you UUGPs, I just has a Austrian merchant of Venice in my last game.

I have never used Heathen conversion. I'm going to go home and play a super religious game with raging barbs and few civs... just to see what that looks like.

Fun.

Just keep a careful eye on your finances. I found it all too easy to overconvert and wreck my treasury, and thus my research rate.

Just keep a careful eye on your finances. I found it all too easy to overconvert and wreck my treasury, and thus my research rate.

Right? With piety it is very difficult to keep good finance. Tradition and maybe liberty make it easier to handle a treasury.

I was recently pleasantly surprised to discover that HC works while embarked as well as against ships. But be careful - I converted an entire 4 tile island filled with barbs only to discover that none of them had Embarkation and were stranded there forever :(

not exactly, in an extreme case you can throw a settler over and make a city. then they can all learn to swim :D

Sounds like perfect city-state gift material to me!

not exactly, in an extreme case you can throw a settler over and make a city. then they can all learn to swim :D

Sounds like perfect city-state gift material to me!

Well, where the heck were you two when I was playing that game? :cry: I just disbanded them for the meager gold, and because I couldn't afford the maintenance on them anyway.

I'd never knew the patronage finisher could get you UUGPs, I just has a Austrian merchant of Venice in my last game.

I was one turn from getting a great scientist naturally and then they gifted a (pretty useless late game) engineer and that pushed back the scientist :(

Top Bottom