Venice discussion

Well, what about the liberty three? Do you think Venice will get the free settler from it?

EDIT: uhm I should refresh the page more often :p

Let it be known that on this day, Enrico join the ranks of "Most Likely to Destroy a Diplomatic Game" along with Maria Theresa and Alex the Smug.

I just registered so hello all of you :)

Imagine a duel: Venice vs A Whatever Else Civ. Might be Hun, for example. Having a single city until Optics, when V. can puppet one CS, and then a long pause before a second CS gets puppeted. With a decent Hun player, Venice won't make it to Renneisance. There will be only a night full of terrors ;) Playing Venice and winning wouldn't be challenging. It would be impossible.

I am very curious to know what city names the Huns would have in such a game, given that Venice likely has no city list at all LOL.
Although I think I recall playing a game where the Iroquois exhausted their city list and started using city names from non in-game civs. Can anyone confirm this?

In immortal level will AI Venice start with two settlers? :)

edit I hope that they tested it and Venice has more than one city name and additional settlers from liberty or game level will not crash the game... ;)

I think the AI only get 2 on diety.

Meh, not excited. Seems awfully restricting. The biggest point seem to be the double trade routes which can be gigantic I guess. I would've preferred settling on the coast over a forced quasi-OCC.

Also, the name "Merchant of Venice" is awfull. I do hope that they fixed the "diplomatic marriage" erases CS personality.

I haven't thought about this before, but can you deselect civs before running a game with random opponents? If that's the case, then you can just blot out Austria and Venice.

Not in vanilla, but there's a mod named Really Advanced Setup that allows you to: Link. I'd guess that one mod would be quick to update to BNW when it comes around, but I'm no modder :)

I do hope that they give Venice a city-list anyway. At a minimum, it would solve the problem of what to do if there are two Venices on a map.

I don't think they will. When a civ reaches the end of its city list, it will randomly chose a city from another civ in the game. In this way, the Huns don't have a special ability, but just a city list only 1 entry long.

I am very curious to know what city names the Huns would have in such a game, given that Venice likely has no city list at all LOL.
Although I think I recall playing a game where the Iroquois exhausted their city list and started using city names from non in-game civs. Can anyone confirm this?

I believe that there is a sort of "up for grabs" city name list that, as you mentioned, is names of large/important cities that belong to Civs not in the game. However I haven't heard anything about this in quite a long time, nor have I experienced it myself :p. If someone out there happens to have this list on hand or knows how to easily extract it from the game files I wouldn't mind having a look through it, so a PM with said list would be much appreciated :D

edit: I would also really like to see what names are thrown out there in a game with multiple Venice Civs :rolleyes:

Merciorum: The UA ability says you cannot gain Settlers, which seems to be worded specifically to let you know that you will not get the Settler from the Libery Social Policy.

It would be very interesting to play against Venice. But I wonder if the current AI will be able to handle this type of gameplay.

Merciorum: The UA ability says you cannot gain Settlers, which seems to be worded specifically to let you know that you will not get the Settler from the Libery Social Policy.
Yes, I second this, it will be very likely to work as in a normal OCC game, when you pick Collective Rule, you get ... nothing.

I have to say, I'm quite excited about Venice. I didn't like the concept of Venice as a civ at all, but given how they've constructed it, it's likely to be one of the civs I will return to frequently, simply because it's so different from anything else.

Just did a test, made a game with only America and Persia with the in game editor, and spammed cities. After getting the final city built (Le Bam) cities then began borrowing names from other civs.

Attachments

• 2013-06-10_00003.jpg
    2013-06-10_00003.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 431
Something that strikes me as odd is the presentation of the civ, which seems a bit unprofessional. The Civ V Civilopedia isn't exactly a Great Work, but still... it almost looks like they just read Dandolo's Wikipedia page and copied it over while paraphrasing slightly. The phrase where it says Dandolo "took the cross" is almost directly plagiarized from the Wikipedia entry.

That and we have the great person "Merchant of Venice" and the "Great Galleass". Must be a really great civ. Honestly, if I didn't know better I'd say something is rotten in Denmark...

As for the proposed mechanics, I still have doubts about a civ that only puppets other cities and can only buy things in order to shape city growth. What about control over the populace of puppet cities? The AI governor is rather incompetent, and if all your cities but the capital are set to gold focus and no tiles can be bought, there might be some frustrating difficulties increasing population size or acquiring new resources. Another problem there: if an existing city doesn't have a resource you need (say Iron, or Uranium), I guess you just have to trade with an opponent for it and hope they don't DoW you or break the deal later? Resource security seems to be an issue here.

I'm not going to guess whether only buying things in noncapital cities will prove practical, because the gold-earning mechanics of BNW are very different from those of G&K. I am going to say that I hope Venice pulls in tons and tons of gold, otherwise city improvements and defensive units will come very, very slowly.

Overall, somewhat intrigued and rather nonplussed. I can't quite picture how this will work as a civ, but that should make it interesting to try.

i really like this innovation. it is surely something new, gaming will be heavily gold-based (or you'll have no army), maybe some idea left from Austria development.

right now, i can think about this made up possible game settings:

1. only Venices on the map. 8 Venices should be really hard to play for any of them, pangea or continents, it would be fight for city states and against each other with no cities to build an early army. i don't know, it might be super boring, but there would be NO new cities on the map. just the idea is somewhat 'must try' for me.

2. 8 players, only Venice, Portugal or Austria civs on the map. let the run for city states begin.

3. Venice vs. Rome. of course.

Top Bottom