Why is Civ 5 so addictive?

Bottom line: I think Civ 5 is addictive because it taps into the "power" emotion. If you think about it, you get to start your own civilization and take it from its infancy all the way to victory, controlling every aspect of it. The fact that you have to click that "next turn" button, to see how much more progress you can make, is very powerful. It's like the call of the siren. After "power" I think "glory" runs a very close second.

Well, that's my 2 cents. Thanks for all of your posts. :)

I would have to say I will stop after I finish the Wonder I am currently working on and or I will start making coffee in the morning after I take out Gandhi or the closest AI. Plus I want to win at World Fair or some other world events.

As some other posters have suggested, the Civilisation series isn't really an addictive game, it can just seem addictive by the method with which you play it - once you start a game you're stuck to the screen until you get bored of that particular map for whatever reason (or you decide to stick it out for a victory), but once the game's off/over you don't really have any emotional attachment to the last map you just left. You just enjoy the process of zoning into a map for a few hours/days solid.

It's a bit like Minesweeper really, but your board is 100,000 by 100,000 rather than 40 by 40. You know, once you make your first click in Minesweeper, you're there until you either explode or have cleared the board, but if you get bored or interupted it's no biggy, you just start a new grid when you're next available.

It's not a story game, in that once you complete it, it's kind-of done bar another complete play-through, it's a time-filler. A game to play when there's nothing better to play or playing a story game requires too much mental investment.

I would compare it to chess, but chess is a completely different game, in that thinking the moves ahead, and remembering them, is utterly crucial in chess, where as in civ you make plans but it doesn't really matter much if you forget or change your intentions. "I was going to build a Library next, nah, actually, I feel like a Lighthouse will be better, nah, maybe another Swordsman for now" etc. And when you do move your pieces it's normally just tech advantage and numbers rather than any specific tactics.

If minesweeper was 100,000 by 100,000 I'm sure it's tag-line would be "Just one more box" Lol

The early game actually looks kind of like a world. The endgame is just a clutter of unit icons and city banners.

The early game actually looks kind of like a world. The endgame is just a clutter of unit icons and city banners.

I've been saying for years I want a re-skin called 'Ancient Civilizations' that concentrates on the early years and stops around 1500 A.D.

If they can make 'Colonization' they could make this.

They've done something for the SCI-FI fans. Now lets see something for the ancient history buffs.

In addition to everything mentioned above if you're into history you can find similarities and all out duplicates of situations in Civilization to real life historical events.

The basic feature that keeps my addicted since Civ1 is the RANDOM GENERATED MAPS. Every new game you roll, its a whole new story..

Edit: TURN-BASED!!

This glass of fruit juice is sooo addictive "just one more sip"
This walk is sooo addictive "just one more step"
This drive is sooo addictive "just one more mile"
This thread is sooo addictive "just one more post"
This sleep is sooo addictive "just one more rapid eye movement"

I like geopolitic stuff and strategy games so this game is a perfect match for me!!!
I have never played one game so long... (about 1,5 years and haven't stopped..)

I think you're dead on with this one. I love it how every Civ leader has their own unique personality and this will effect the way the AI will interact with surrounding civs.
Once you get to ideologies things get even more interesting and that every game has unique geopolitics also adds to replayability.

Civ was addictive before they implemented noticeably different Civ leaders, ideologies or geopolitics.

It's like Minesweeper but with more buttons to press, better visuals and much better music. There's nothing wrong with that, Minesweeper is a very addictive game, I've been playing it on and off for 20 years :)

This glass of fruit juice is sooo addictive "just one more sip"
This walk is sooo addictive "just one more step"
This drive is sooo addictive "just one more mile"
This thread is sooo addictive "just one more post"
This sleep is sooo addictive "just one more rapid eye movement"

Nice! This made me smile. :)

I believe that Civilization Games appeal to our ego and sense of self-grandeur. We may also find our inner control freak and micro-manage everything. This gives up an escape from real life uncertainties. In these games we are in control, we are important, and we discover virtual meaning which may or may not be as good as real meaning (philosophy dependent of course.)

Or if you don't like admitting to human nature or examining self-examination: Huh I dunno, because it's fun?

Well said, DarkestOnion. I think you pretty much nailed it. You described the feelings I really feel when I play Civ 5....and I'm just an amateur...but the game still tapped into all the emotions you listed. :)

The Civ series in general is very good at triggering the dopamine pathway in us history nerds.
It's like a series of little candies that you get as a reward for finishing various tasks. You can see this in online multiplayer games like Call of Duty which give the player feedback for damaging enemies in Multiplayer to do the same thing at a micro level, while giving the player longer-term rewards in the form of unlockable weapons, etc. The Civ series, by nature, is "organically" far better at doing this than any shooter could ever be.

Top Bottom