a new generation of civ'ers?

32 years old, started Civ 2 on my first day with my first PC in 1995.

Have been playing everything, including Call to Power fanatically since then. The vanilla version of Civ 5 was simply dreadful. How in 1 year with the two expansions they managed to achieve what Civ 5 BNW is today I don't know.

In short Civdude, forget about Civ 5 as it was released, IMO Civ 5 BNW is better even than Civ 4 BTS. So enjoy!

I'm 33 and i've been playing since civ1 on the old beast called Amiga 500. It's nice to see in these posts here, that old school gamers like me, still in love with the series.

I surely can feel you when you said that Civ5 didn't exactly fill your expectations (be sure that most of us oldschool civ fanatics got that feeling as well), but through out the expansions got better and better.

I cant say that civ5 BNW is better than civ4 BTS as it was stated by biojoro, but i can surely say that i got the same level of addiction with BNW again.

Keep on rockin' in the CIV world !! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdiCJUysIT0) ;>>>

1 game of civ 1, didn't have a clue.
1 game of civ 4, not much better
Absolutely hooked on civ 5. It's like crack.

I'm 20 years old and Civ V was my first game and now I'm going to play every new Civ release Civ V hooked me on this franchise

Civ 5 is my first civ game. I've always like strategy games though, but my gaming background is more command and conquer, and later Starcraft 2.

I'm 33 years old and have played civ since civ 2. I've just returned to these forums after reading about beyond earth. I used have an old account on here, but I can't remember what it is!

I'm just curious to see if people here think civ 5 has brought about a new generation of civ players. I bought civ 5 when it came out and couldn't get into it. I haven't touched it since its release. I t didn't have that magic feeling the older ones did for me. I understand the game has updated a lot since its arrival, so I assume it has improved a lot.

moving on, just by judging these forums, civ 5 seems to be emmensly popular. Although, I've heard a lot of hate with this game as well. The topic posts have nearly eclipsed civ 4 already. So there must be a lot of interest in the game and the sales figures have been strong.

Are there a lot of old timers still posting here and playing civ5? Have some of you oldies adjusted and found a lot of love for civ5? I really want to be excited about Beyond Earth, but I didn't get along with civ5 lol. I just can't believe how strong its fan base is! Am I missing something?

just some thoughts of mine.

This game has taken over 2,000 hours of my life! It vastly different from Civ 4, so that may be part of what you don't like, but I strongly encourage you to try it with the two updates (Gods and Kings and Brave New World)

They put religion back in in G&K, and introduced Voting in BNW. There is also a bunch of other miscellaneous things, Civs, buildings, units etc, but it changed the game drastically for, in my opinion, for the better. It also introduced new civs that didnt just get a bonus at doing X better than other civs, but they way you play them is different. Venice is, I believe, the most unique civ.

Please Please Please give the game one more shot!

The OP's question is an interesting one, which seems not have been touched on yet too much by the replies. Regarding the apparent differences between Civ and its predecessors, as well as the fact that very many fans of the series absolutely despise Civ 5, it would seem that it is indeed a different brand of gamers that the newest version of Civ is appealing to. That having been said, while there are people who loved Civ up to 4 and hate 5, and those who didn't like or didn't play up to 4 and love 5, there are also those who have been with the series for a long time and enjoy playing all the iterations, including 5. This however, it seems to me, does not contradict the notion that the target audience is a different one, but rather that some Civ players are able to enjoy different gaming styles or have successfully adopted elements of the new fashion of games, not only seen in Civ by the way, but throughout the genres of the gaming market.
Ultimately, one has to see for one's self whether one is able to make this transition or not. If one is not, there is still a market, admittedly rather niche, for those of us out there, the most popular reference being to the Paradox games.

33 years old,

been playing civ 15+ years. modded civ4 a lot.

playing a few turns on civ5,

now im thinking of moving to bnw, but im affraid to do so, i heard the ai in combat stinks, i like a challange and liked the stacks of doom.
also im bugged that i can play mods on mp....

so? civ4 bts modded or civ5 bnw? or civ3 ?....

i played a lot (A LOT) of civ II and i don't even dare admitting how many hours my steam says i played civ V... i kinda enjoyed call to power and civ III, but civ II and this one are (by far) my favorites. So in my case at least, this civ is also appealing to an old (well, old, i'm 27) vet ;)

I am 39 and I have played this series since Civilization (the first game.) I have noticed through random MP matches that people seem to be younger game players than me who entered the fandom at Civ 5. This iteration is more accessible (if you are feeling optimistic) or dumbed down (if you are feeling pessimistic) I think.

In fairness, Civ 5 is a more well designed and richer game than Civilization 4 in my estimation. I do miss the Wonder Movies and Contested Border City Flipping. However, I have made it a standard practice to adopt new iterations of my favorite franchises so that I do not end up being that guy that only plays THE REAL FIRST PAC-MAN YOU WHIPPERSNAPPER/NOOB! :)

OP, please come back to the joy of games and don't think of them as something nostalgic or for younger people. Games are incredible these days and they compete nicely with more normative hobbies that are approved of by people who dislike smiling and fun imho.

I have played since Civ 2, found the initial Civ 5 a bit boring but love Brave New World.
It has now surpassed the previous versions.

18 years old here, but started playing with Civ 2. My dad was into the gaming :p

meh, we'll see... I really don't feel like sitting around playing videos like I used to. I'll probably wait until the winter time to buy it. I have to much stuff going on in the summer.

I started with this in Feb (recommended to me) and only recently discovered how to stop the game crashing after ~2 hours of play. Let's just say sleep is a little bit of a foreign concept atm...

This is the first TBS I've actually really enjoyed.

I'm 15, and Civilization V was my first game. I haven't had much of a strategy game background, but what I've always wanted to do was to play games that let you build a nation that stood the test of time. And so I stumbled into Civilization V just last year. And now I have every DLC.

Personally I think that Civilization V presents a new appeal to casual gamers who just want a time-consuming, interesting, addicting game to begin with. Now concerning the hatred being propelled towards CiV as too simple, I understand that many people loved Civ4 for its complexity. But sometimes even classic game series like Civilization need to go in a new direction. Sure, Firaxis threw out spies and religion in Vanilla CiV. But hey, look at Gods and Kings. They came back! And in Brave New World, we got a World Congress. Something Civ4 never had before. In retrospect, even though I'm new to Civilization, I know Civilization V is an interesting improvement to the whole series, and has shown that the series itself has come a long way. Civilization V's new direction has created a totally new generation of Civilization gamers indeed.

Well, those are my thoughts right here.

29 years old. Played Civ1 a lot on the Amiga 500; didn't really get a chance for 2 and 3 as went from Amiga to Playstation and didn't get a PC for a while but still played 1 and got Colonization too; played a lot of Alpha Centauri when I got a new PC; played a lot of 4 and have now played a lot of 5.

One thing that seems weird to me is the rivalry between fans of 4 and 5 as I still enjoy both and play both depending on what I feel like, or mainly what mods I want to play as Fall From Heaven and it's variants still don't really have a counterpart in Civ5 yet (though Ea is looking promising). To me it's like the differance between Rugby League and Rugby Union, the same core game but with some differances.

Top Bottom