Resource icon

MAKE YOUR OWN UNITS - FLICster Version 1.0.1 (build 18) now available! 2016-10-05

sacreed57... Exactly what are you trying to Load and what file error are you having. There were several versions uploaded. Did you upgrade Flicster to v. 1.0.1 build 18 ? I uploaded this file to the Database. The Link is on Post 214. Also what Operating System are you using? Read the information that is with the Download.

:mad:It will not load due to missing file:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Moderator Action: A lot of people are using flicster with no problem. I don't think starting your posting career at CFC with so many :mad: for a problem you probably caused yourself will make you many friends. I suggest a more humble approach, it should increase your chance to get more usueful answer. Especially if you explain what is your problem instead of just saying "It doesn't work"

It's pretty easy, try opening some original Firaxis FLC's and then exporting them as storyboards, and you will see how FLC's are setup.

So, then if you render a unit, you make a storyboard from the rendered BMP's (can use Steph's storyboard creator), and make a New FLC (using Flicster).

This thread should have all info to answer any questions about specifics.

Would someone be able to explain exactly how to transform an indexed storyboard pcx made from SBB into a .flc file with Flicster? For some reason, I just can't figure it out. The New function doesn't allow you to import an image, and the Open function only opens FLC and FXM files. What am I missing here? :blush: Any assistance is greatly appreciated; I have the feeling it is embarassingly simple.

Flicster is great and sometimes what I needed to solve a problem. But, I would use Civ3FlcEdit to do what you want to do. It has exactly what you want, import to storyboard.

Would someone be able to explain exactly how to transform an indexed storyboard pcx made from SBB into a .flc file with Flicster? For some reason, I just can't figure it out. The New function doesn't allow you to import an image, and the Open function only opens FLC and FXM files. What am I missing here? :blush: Any assistance is greatly appreciated; I have the feeling it is embarassingly simple.

Okay :) Hopefully you have figured it out already.. but just in case.... I had the same problem too long ago!

So you have an indexed storyboard. You do need to make NEW. This will create an FXM file. Flicster uses this and then when you open your FXM, you can make your FLC.

So File -> NEW.
Fill in appropriate info for each storyboard. The frame size, how many frames are in the storyboard, name it (what the storyboard name is for ease), and usually I just copy the directory path that the storyboard is in to the output directory.

Then it makes a FXM file. Open this up and you can view your unit just like it is a FLC. Adjust your Frame Delay if you need, and then export to FLC and you are done.

You can use pre-made FXM files as long as they have the same frame size and length as your storyboard.

For ease of trouble, keeping frame size at 200x200 and under is best.. going over this can cause the magenta pixel streak bug IIRC.

OK, thanks, Tom.

So I understand: You make a New FXM file that has the same dimensions (frame size and count, etc) as your storyboard, and then open that FXM. Since the new FXM is blank, you would have to copy your existing file and pallette and post over the FXM and save it that way. Then you can edit the fxm in Flicster and export it as a FLC.

The reason I'm having trouble then is because I don't have a graphics program to open FXMs to edit. I've been using Gimp exlusively to do everything so far, except using up the PSP free trial a while ago to make leaderheads. So I guess I know what I need to ask for Christmas.

Almost there. I created a new FXM with the same dimensions as the finished storyboard. It created a new fxm and a new pcx. Then I copied my pallette and picture from the original storyboard into the generated one and saved it there. So when I opened the fxm in flicster, like you said, I was able to see the correct preview. The pallette and animation timing looked good. So I exported to a FLC and that looked fine too.

Something's still not correct in game, though. I made a new INI and unit folder and added it to the Pediaicons. The unit would crash the game though. It's the same freeezing crash when you scroll over the unit that you would get if you were missing the default animation in the INI. If you select the unit in a stack, it will show the static image in the bottom right info box, but the animation itself won't show up. Will have to figure this one out this week...obviously missing a crucial step here.

Sorry Anthony, I didn't see this post till now. There is a chance that the crash is due to not using the Flicster build 18 upgrade.

Build 17 doesn't generate the Animation Time properly, keeping it at 0 which crashes the game. Build 18 (the latest) fixes this. All you have to do is download and use the new .exe, and when you open the FLC, it will auto-correct it (a popup will ask if you want to IIRC).

This is most likely the issue. I remember having this problem myself!

I recently installed flicster on my new windows 8. So far, I could create a storyboard from a flc, but when I try to export a storyboard into a flc, it just stops working, and I get the "flicster.exe has stopped working" , and it closes down. I do get a flc file, but it is unopenable by flicster. Compatibility mode doesn't seem to work, does anyone else have this problem? I used civ3flc for now, but I'd prefer it if I could use flicster since I still use it to make the preview images, which for some reason DOES still work.

Thanks for your work.
A quick question: I already have a CIV III Conquest unit with all the flc and pediacons files. What I need to do only is to change the unit's uniform color from blue to white.
Will I be able to do this using Flicster or do I need Animation Shop....or would I also need Blender or some other 3d modelling application?

Thanks

Thurst123... You only need a Graphics program and Flicster. First, you make new Storyboards with Flicster. You then open the Storyboards and change the Palette in a Graphics program then use Flicster to make the new Flcs from the changed Storyboards.

Generally GIMP should suffice. You can even use MS Paint if you don't have anything else.

And no, you do not need 3D modeling programs unless you're rendering new files.

Ok thanks, now for a crash course on Flicster ! I have it already and using it to view possible units for my mod. Yes, also using Gimp. Let's see if I can absorb so many crash courses in such little time !

Vuldacon: Thanks. Actually the unit I wan to change color is one you made I believe: TurkRifle
It's blue but I want to make it white like I believe the Egyptian regulars war, at least according to the film Khartoum and other sources.

Last edited:
Thrust123... You can use Gimp as the Graphics program but you still need Flicster to make the Storyboards and Flcs.
Takhisis was referring to Gimp as the graphics program you could use. A 3D Modeling program is used to create New Units and not needed to change colors of units.

I didn't make the "TurkRifle" unit but you can probably change the Blue colors to shades of white by editing the Palette. You could start by reducing the color saturation to 0 so it will all be Grey Scale. Then you could adjust the Brightness so the Uniform is Lighter then with the palette open, take a Screen Shot of it (ALT + Print Screen) and paste a new image of that palette (Ctrl+V). Save that palette image and use a palette editing program such as PEdit palette editor to copy the new Unit colors onto the original Unit Palette. You can then apply that new Palette to all Storyboards using Maintain indexes. That will change the colors you adjusted. Then you can use Flicster to make new Flcs from those Storyboards.

You only change the 160 unit colors on the Palette when you change the colors. If the TurkRifle unit uses Civ Specific Colors (top 4 rows on the Palette), keep those unless the entire uniform uses Civ Specific Colors. If the entire uniform is Civ Specific Colored, you would have to make a new Palette with No Civ Specific colors.

Edit: Do you have a link to the TurkRifle unit?

Last edited:
Top Bottom