Caribbean Islands and South Florida (256x256)

Yoda Power

✫✫✫✫✫✫✫
This is a giant sized map of the Caribbean Islands and Southern Florida. I originally made the map four years ago to play with an emphasis on naval warfare.

It's a clean map with a lot of ocean. It could be used for a Pirate scenario, Bay of Pigs or the like.

There's added Sea links between the islands to ease gameplay. The Small Antilles Islands are slightly oversized for same reason.

Download

I guess that would be in Florida? Thanks for the nice comments guys. I'd love to see this map used in a mod or scenario. :)

I assume that the islands connected by a Sea route to Cuba are the Cayman Islands and Jamaica, while the three at the bottom of the map are Curacao, Aruba, and Bonaire, and the one to the east is Barbados? Also, having been there, Curacao is more hilly that flat, while Aruba is pretty much flat. I have not been to Bonaire.

You're absolutely right. When the ABC islands are only Plains it is because they are all relatively flat compared to the other islands in the region. They are also more dry, which is why I choose Plains.

I threw this together this afternoon - the beginnings of a little scenario. No resources placed, or barbs, or Goody hats for that matter. I might circle back and flesh this out better later, but if anyone else wants to take it up in the meantime go ahead :)

I included 2 attachments, 1 for the BIQ, the other for an Excel spreadsheet with the data I used.

Do whatever you like with it.

Attachments

• El Caribe.rar
    44.2 KB · Views: 248
  • El Caribe_XLS.rar
    31.4 KB · Views: 296
I won't be able to look at the map before evening (euro time), so what exactly is the scope of this scenario? :)

Well, first off I should have tested before posting - I realized late last night that somehow all but one of the civs has access to zero units. I have no idea how that happened, and the only way I can think of to fix that is to go through the every unit and add them to each civ, which is a gigantic pain in the backside. :( That having been said, I hope someone can take the idea behind it and the Excel spreadsheet and make their own.

Basically I followed my Destiny Reborn method of making civs. I initially was going to include every nation on the map as a seperate civ, but that became clear it would be far too imbalanced, as some civs like Cuba would have a huge land mass, while others would have a single tile island only. So I decided to combine nations based on population and geographic proximity into just 5 civs - 4 of which are locked into war with each other - the 5th not. City lists are combined and ranked by population from largest to smallest. I got the most popular names from each country and that is how I came up with the Leader lists. Then I took everything - Civ name, city names, and leader names - and translated them to the primary language of the largest country in that new civ. Then I placed the 5 largest cities (that weren't extremely close together ) for each civ and placed them on the map.

That is pretty much all I did, but that is not too bad for just a few hours in a single afternoon. :)

All the details are in the xls, too.

There seems to be an issue with the tech tree. every technology on the board takes 4 turns to finish rather it's the iron working or the republic it's all 4 turns. writing was sold to be for 20 coins before I even tried researching it. the tech tree moves way to fast so you can just set it to 10 percent research and get to the end in no time.

Immortal7777. I assume you playing the biq Gojira posted? I don't think that's meant to be a finished playable scenario.

Nope, it's not. Was just having some fun with YP's wonderful map. I would just play YPs model, or import that map into your favorite scenario.

I used the editor to randomize resources and then started a game, realizing belatedly that it had crammed a Huge map's worth of resources onto a comparatively small amount of land. :lol:

Being a regular player of the new Sid Meier's Pirates, I keep looking for a central American coast that isn't there. I started my game as Spain (for the seafaring) and wound up in Cuba, fighting the entire American culture group. (The Mongols are in Hispaniola, and I think the Turks must have Florida to themselves. Yikes.)

Yeah, since there is so much water it does require some different settings to work balanced. One thing I sometimes do is set the Sea terrain to produce one shield, so the small islands become more productive. I found that setting Coast to one shield actually makes the island cities too good.

One thing I sometimes do is set the Sea terrain to produce one shield, so the small islands become more productive. I found that setting Coast to one shield actually makes the island cities too good.
Over the years quite a few resources graphics have been made that are appropriate for water (CSO terrain types). Using this map for a preplaced scenario a variety of those could be used to adjust game balance.

Over the years quite a few resources graphics have been made that are appropriate for water (CSO terrain types). Using this map for a preplaced scenario a variety of those could be used to adjust game balance.

Who would waste time on resources??? :p

Top Bottom