Under what conditions should I build more improvements than pop size permits working?

s0nny80y

Emperor
Under what conditions should I build more improvements than pop size permits working?

If you have already improved all tiles the city is currently working, then you may want to get ahead by improving the next tile it will work.

In addition, there are some circumstances where at times you may want to have the option of working an improved farm or an improved mine when you don't have the pop for both yet.

You should improve more tiles than the city can work if and only if you have improved all the currently workable tiles of the nearby cities as well, as it's better to improve a tile that a city is already working than one where it'll take 10 turns before a city has enough pop to work that tile.

If you are trying for wonders, it can be good to have mines on hills that are only used in those cases. And of course you should improve strategic and luxury resources even if you don't work the tiles.

Also keep worker travel time in mind. It is often more efficient to improve extra tiles in a single city (both for future population growth in that city and to provide a choice of improved tiles to work, as others have noted) before moving a worker to another city.

It's always better than an idle worker. Besides, can you really ever have enough markets on tundra?

This.

It's only detrimental if you need roads built to connect cities or you are neglecting improvements in your other cities.

This.

It's only detrimental if you need roads built to connect cities or you are neglecting improvements in your other cities.

Isn't there a fee for building maintenance? So if you build improvements on tiles you aren't working you receive no benefits from those improvements but you do have to pay for them?

The only tile improvements that have a maintenance cost are roads and railroads. Farms, mines, plantations, etc. have no maintenance cost.

There is always opportunity cost associated with worker decisoins (e.g., are you improving tiles in one city that won't be worked for quite some time, while citizens are working unimproved tiles in another city?), but that is what decision-making is all about.

Top Bottom