Beyond "Blue Jeans" and "Pop music", what are civilizations mostly known for?

Ryoga

King
You may be familiar with the sentence: "Our people are now buying your blue jeans and listening to your pop music. I worry the rest of the world will also succumb to the influence of your culture."
That's what every Civ will tell you once you become culturally influential with them. However, that "Blue Jeans" really screams "America". Of course someone might imagine that any culture reaching modern times and being a superpower could have invented blue jeans in an alternative storyline, and after all this is a game where any Civ can build any kind of wonder.

However let's try to imagine what else could be said for any Civ in the game. In other words, what are the various cultures of the world in any given time mostly be known for by the average man of other countries?

Before starting I invite your to consider a few points:

1) It must be something mundane: As Blue Jeans and Pop music are. We are talking about culture that influences the masses in their everyday life or something that is particularly ingrained in the common image of a specific culture, or something that is frequently used or consumed by them (even if most have forgotten its origin).

2) Avoid Religion and Mythology: Culture and Religion are two separate thing in Civ, so I'm looking for things that are religiously neutral.

3) It must be sufficiently known by other cultures: Every culture has its own books, music, poetry and so on, but only a few successfully exported them in the rest of the world and are known for those.

4) Must be as much as modern as possible: Which of course in many cases is simply not possible. But since the original line refers to Blue Jeans, well, try to think about modern times if you can.

Now this is the list that I came up with, but it is clearly quite lacking, probably wrong in a few places, and, sure, even biased by my own peculiar perspective.

Code:
AMERICA: Movies, TV Series, Cartoons, Comic Books, Video Games, Blue Jeans, Soft Drinks, Fast Food, Rock and Roll, Jazz, Hip Hop, Computers, Novels, Basket, Rugby, Baseball
ARABIA: Keffiyeh, Arabesques
AZTEC: Xocolatl, Ollamaliztli, Guacamole, Tacos
CHINA: Kung Fu, Wuxia, Tai Chi, Feng Shui, Tea, Noodles, Firecrackers, Cheongsam, Football?, Ping Pong, Manhua, Go, Mahjong, Porcelain
EGYPT: Cosmetics?, Beer?
ENGLAND: Pop music, Drama, Novels, Cricket
FRANCE: Nouvelle Cuisine, Wine, Champagne, Clothes, Cosmetics, Perfumes, Cartoons, Classical Music, Tennis, Books, Minuet
GERMANY: Cars, Beer, Classic Music, Fairy Tales (Grimm Brothers)
GREECE: Epic, Drama, Gyros, Sirtaki, Pankration, Wine
INDIA: Bollywood Movies, Yoga, Curry, Chess, Turban
IROQUOIS: Lacrosse, Tobacco?
JAPAN: Sushi, Anime, Manga, Video Games, Karate, Kimono, Cars, Electronics, Sumo, Judo
OTTOMAN: Doner Kebab, Belly Dance?
PERSIA: Rugs
ROME (Ancient): Gladiatoral Games, Epic, Drama
ROME (Italy): Opera, Pizza, Pasta, Wine, Clothes, Shoes, Tarantella
RUSSIA: Vodka, Books, Matrioska, Ushanka
SIAM: Muay Thai
SONGHAI: Kora
BABYLON: Epic, Beer?
MONGOL: Morin Khur, Yurt
INCA: Coca Leaves, Nazca Lines
SPAIN: Bull Fight, Flamenco, Pop\Dance Music, Fandango
POLYNESIA: Surfing, Bungee Jumping, Haka, Hula
DENMARK: Fairy Tales (Andersen), Skiing
KOREA: MMORPGs, Cars, Electronics, Manhwa, Tae Kwon Do, Gangnam Style? Kimchi
AUSTRIA: Wiener, Classic Music
BYZANTIUM: Backgammon
CARTHAGE: Tyrian Purple (Canaan)
CELTS: Haggis, Stout, Jig, Reel, Kilt, bagpipes
ETHIOPIA: Coffee, Dreadlocks?
HUNS: (this is a hard one)
MAYA: Calendar
NETHERLANDS: Tulips, Windmills
SWEDEN: Death Metal, Furniture (Ikea)
ASSYRIA:
BRAZIL: Samba, Bossa Nova, Capoeira, Pop\Dance Music, Capirinha, Picadinho
INDONESIA: Spices
MOROCCO: Couscous
POLAND: Classic Music, Mazurka, Polka
PORTUGAL: Fado
SHOSHONE: Feathered war bonnet
VENICE: Masques, Venetian Glass, Gondolas
ZULU: Vuvuzela

I, of course, apologize for my lack of knowledge about many cultures of this world, and I beg your pardon for any kind of mistakes that I may have made that may offend you.

And so this is where I need your help. I'm looking for ideas and your perspective to feel the gaps and to make this list more complete. And when I say "complete" I mean mentioning something for any of the Civilizations listed. Just a good amount of examples or the most important ones is good enough. The list could become too huge.

I am debating whether to consider "Italy" as the modern version of "Rome" or to stick with "Rome" as its ancient self only.

I am also debating whether to consider the Rastafari movement (which in itself is a religious movement) as something proper of Ethiopia or not. It is actually Jamaican even if it refers to Ethiopia.

Some things have very dubious origin. "Caviar" for example is very hard to attribute to a specific culture. The word itself is Turkish, but it is unclear who was the first civilization that started the practice of eating it.

I wanted to include "Folk Tales" from "Arabian Nights", but then I found out that it is mishmash of stories from a plethora of different places and some of them are of dubious origin. It turns out that Aladdin is actually supposed to be Chinese (!) and that the story is probably Persian or even Turkish.

Both Egypt and Babylon are suspected of having invented beer, which is why I put them in the list, although with a question marker.

Just a footnote, yeah, Aladdin is "Chinese" in the setting, but the story is entirely Persian/Turkish/Arabic (one of those three). "China" in the story looks and sounds exactly like a Middle Eastern polity of that time period, and almost everyone is Muslim and has an Arabic name. The authors pretty much just used China as a generic faraway mysterious land to exoticize their story. And then they used their own milieu under a different name.

I have nothing to add: I just wanted to say that your list was awesome and entertaining!

One note: nobody gets credit for alcohol. EVERY early civ figured out alcohol. ...which I find funny. Stone Age people couldn't figure out that pooh helped crops, but they had Guinness.

I guess if you drink enough Guinness, you don't care about the grain. 'Cept for mo Guinness.

Portugal should include picadinho, roast pork with pickled vegetables that is absolutely delicious.
Songhai should have music of some sort. Music is a big part of the culture of west Africa in general and Mali and Songhai is particular.
Mayan possibility is to be found in my sig.

Our young people are dancing to your bassa nova and being surprised when ordering Brazilian pork for the first time. :lol::lol::lol:

Brazil has crazy buildings (there is probably some actual name for the style, makes for a crappy city to navigate though, it's the architectural style of Oscar Niemeyer) and, of course, soccer.

England should have rock music. Epics would also be good, the Anglo-Saxons had amazing epics.

Egypt without bowling?

Carthage's connection with the Pheonicians suggests they should likely get credit for the alphabet, though it might be so basic to so many cultures as to be too widely used to add it. Arabia and the Maya with 0 might have the same issue.

Golf for the Celts, as it's from Scotland, an area they represent. Curling too. Pretty amazing how a people so known for war came up with two of the most peaceful modern games we have. Curling may be the only "major" sport left where both sides are left to agree on things like points (with occasional help of technology)!

There are probably lots of things for the Zulu, too, but you'd have to look more at the culture in that area of Africa than I can. A group that big and important certainly left their mark on many other cultures in the area.

We could infer some trends from civs that were historically culturally dominant in the past (in addition to what is mentioned above):

Babylonians: Coded laws, gardens

Assyrians: Head hunting, warrior code

Chinese: Lacquerware, abstract writing, umbrellas

Aztec: Hot chocolate (drink)

England: Table manners, top hats

Mongolia: Yoghurt, horse milk

Japan: Ninjas, Samurai swords

etc.

BTW, "manga", "manhua", "cartoons" and "comics" are the same thing, albeit in different languages.

My 2 cents :

ARABIA: Azulejos, garden.
AZTECS : Sombreros, pop-corn.
CHINA: Kimonos, fireworks.
EGYPT: Braids, Flip-flops.
ENGLAND: Bespoke, Football.
FRANCE: Beret, French fries, movies (sometimes pretty depressive).
GERMANY: Bavarian shorts, cars, philosophy (pretty depressive too, we are neighbors :D)
GREECE: Sandals.
INDIA: Pajamas
IROQUOIS: Braids, smoking pipes.
JAPAN: Wasabi.
OTTOMAN: Fez, Turkish delight.
PERSIA: Rugs, Dices.
ROME (Ancient): Hopscotch, toga.
ROME (Italy): Vespa, Borsalino.
RUSSIA: Ushanka, ballets.
SIAM:
SONGHAI:
BABYLON: Dates, libraries.
MONGOL: Horse racing, milk products
INCA: Friendship bracelet.
SPAIN: Bullfighting, tortilla.
POLYNESIA: Loincloth
DENMARK: Helmet.
KOREA: Go
AUSTRIA: Waltz
BYZANTIUM: Fork
CARTHAGE:
CELTS: Kilt, curling
ETHIOPIA: Athletics (other culture are christian so off topic)
HUNS (based on Hungary) : Embroidery.
MAYA: Ōllamaliztli (pre-colombian rugby).
NETHERLANDS: Clogs, cheese.
SWEDEN: Tunnbröd, crown of midsommar.
ASSYRIA: Eyeshadow.
BRAZIL:
INDONESIA: Spices
MOROCCO: Fez, Djellabah.
POLAND: Kluski na parze
PORTUGAL: Pasteis de nata
SHOSHONE:
VENICE: Mascarade
ZULU: Siyahamba

England invented a lot of team sports:

Football (soccer), Rugby, Cricket
How about Comedy as an export? Monty Python for example.
Also rail roads, habeas corpus, the suit and tie, the sandwich, custard, dessert pies and cakes, fish and chips, the pint, pubs, etc etc.

I'm not saying that the English exclusively invented the above but they are 'cultural' things they are recognised for. For example the haggis recipe was first written and made in England but is undoubtedly a Scottish cultural icon.

As for the Celts (a mish mash of Ireland, Wales, Northern France (Brittany) and Scotland - with British influence): Whiskey, Guinness, Telephone, TV, modern medicine, lava bread (a welsh seaweed food), Irn Bru, Scotch Eggs, etc etc.

Roman roads? Indian math? Siamese pad thai? Zulu spears? German soccer? German/Dutch chocolate? French vanilla? Venetian canals? Incan potatoes and llamas? Ottoman ottomans? Hunnic torches of destruction-by-burning?

It kinda sounds like we're basically taking cultural stereotypes and just coming up with objects related to them...

Well, ideally we should try to extrapolate from their cultural traditions/practices at the height of their power and imagine what those would be like if that civilization were globally culturally dominant in the present time, with modern technology and everything, which is basically what the BNW cultural victory means. The BNW cultural victory implies global penetration of your civ's cultural practices, helped along greatly by mass media, and possibly a "popification" of traditional cultural elements.

This alternate history kind of extrapolation seems difficult to predict, though. Take Japan for example. When we think of Japan's traditional culture (or "high culture" as opposed to pop culture), we think of the tea ceremony, flower arranging, kabuki theater, nagauta, etc. Now, how exactly did we go from all that to anime, manga, and idol groups?

At first glance there seems to be no relation at all, but some scholars suggest that Japan is a more pictographic culture than the West, which explains how comics could be more ubiquitous in everyday life there than in the West. So there is a linkage between the modern and the traditional. Admittedly it is a stretch, though.

Another thing you notice is that many of the cultural elements listed above, like coffee-drinking and chocolate-drinking, for example, still exist and are still practiced today, globally even, even after the civilizations that spawned them have declined into relative obscurity. In some cases, these traditions were spread by civilizations other than the ones that created them, or even by the civilizations that conquered them in the first place.

@Flaxton

Are you sure that all those things would have caught on elsewhere in the world?

To the best of my knowledge, nobody knows about Haggis, Monty Python, Fish and Chips, Scotch Eggs, etc. anywhere beyond the western world. Some have even failed to find their way beyond the English-speaking world. The French systematically tend to ridicule English cooking by making a reference to Fish and Chips (which horrifies me, since Fish and Chips is what I have missed most since moving away from England).

Even I don't know what Irn Bru is.

For Indonesia, three to me stand out as bigger than the rest:

1. Spices (With nutmeg and cloves being the two most famous)

2. Batik (Type of design)

3. Coffee* (*Specifically, Sumatran coffee and Javanese coffee).

Ones that have been around, but only seem to be spreading rapidly in recent times OR had already long-spread and people now slowly gaining awareness:

1. Foods: Nasi goreng (Type of fried rice); Sate/satay (Type of skewered meat); Peanut sauce

3. Pencak Silat - (What Judo is to Japan or what Tae Kwon Do is to Korea)

3. Gamelan (Instrument)

I didn't mention fruits. That's because they are either (1) native to the entire Southeast Asia and not just Indonesia, or (2) because they are native to just Indonesia but have been grown in other places for so long that they are no longer synonymous with any one place.

-Bananas, mango, mangosteen, rambutan, jackfruit, starfruit, durian, etc.

Now I wonder if it'd be possible to mod these into the game. I want to see someone complain that their kids are all wearing kimono or belly dancing! :D

Alcohol made the water safer to drink; so everybody found out about that .

As I understand, the Puritans drank more beer than they did water.

Top Bottom