Work in progess and Previews

You like nitpicking for the sake of having an argument.
So, no, it's not. There are many people stating 'Viva la revolution (sic)' and for all I know Shiro might be asking for exactly that (with what accent? Spanish? Mexican? Andean? Buenos Aires? Paraguayan?) or for a genuine-Spanish '¡Viva la revolución!'. You might not believe it, but I was asking a question in good faith and I wasn't asking you but the person who actually knows the answer. Maybe I do have a right to double-check.

You have no conception of my actual likes, dislikes, proclivities, or aversions.

Maybe I do have a right to double-check.
But not to misuse the same language of which you constantly correct others' use.

Moderator Action: Let's leave it there, please. This is Shiro's work in progress thread, so please keep to comments about his previews.

So, no, it's not. There are many people stating 'Viva la revolution (sic)' and for all I know Shiro might be asking for exactly that (with what accent? Spanish? Mexican? Andean? Buenos Aires? Paraguayan?) or for a genuine-Spanish '¡Viva la revolución!'. You might not believe it, but I was asking a question in good faith and I wasn't asking you but the person who actually knows the answer. Maybe I do have a right to double-check.
It is a Cuban soldier.

My microphone died on me last week, but I've managed to borrow one. I have recorded both '¡Viva la revolución!' and '¡Viva la revolución cubana!' just for the fun of it. How should I get the file to you?

I decided to re-re-render the units, changing how they stand to make it look more natural.

I was thinking of getting rid of the bedroll, but I already have half of the units re-re-rendered, so I don't think I will.

My microphone died on me last week, but I've managed to borrow one. I have recorded both '¡Viva la revolución!' and '¡Viva la revolución cubana!' just for the fun of it. How should I get the file to you?
Either upload it here, or to the database, if you don't want to use an offsite host.

Here's my contribution.
Ares, that's prefect!

That is what we get in payment for doing some voice-acting? We should do more, Ares.

and i will post some templars

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

and some turcopoles

Spoiler :

and some hospitaller infantry

Spoiler :

some muslim religious leaders...since they have no classical hierarchical system (second and third from left and last on the right)
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

and i found this hospitaller unit with large shield and maybe a short sword, if you want to train your hands on hospitallers supporter infantry

Spoiler :

i am running out of ides for supporter infantry...and i know this is not a good example! :hmm:

i mean someone with big shield and lighter armour, not black, but with an attachemnt to be reckoned as a crusader! :badcomp:

what i want to say is that we might need also lighter infantry forms - the units sandris made over time for the russians express this - he has done an absolute covering of light infantry to very heavy pikeman and then again to lighter infantry towards the end of the 16th century...i believe it is very stressing to revisit a faction, i mean as a creator, because some want to fight with supporters, other immagine a pure knightly universe with dismounted heavy cavalry, other use skirmishers or lighter versions of infantry.
i would suggest the following approach

this pattern fits from late antiquity to renaissance...

heerban swordsman (axe or morning star or large knife - like sandris units) - not armoured - a shield and a weapon;
light infantry with axe, shield and a helmet - like many of sandris russians (imperator light sicilian muslim infantry),
than medium infantry with a helmet, sword, large shield and a bambakion or lighter armour,
than heavy infantry with sword or morning star, or pickhammer and mailed or scalled armour,
than dismounted knights(hm french knight by imperator) or crusaders (very good intention of shiro)
than dismounted noblemen - creme de la creme! with the heaviest gear available

double handed units with axe, sword or pike - good coverage - we could need some few examples more

heerban spearman - spear and shield - even barfooted for the medieteranian world
light spearman with helmet
medium spearmen with bambakion - some byzantine and balkanian units are missed (third ranks and so on units)
supporter spearmen with mail (firts ranks unit)
guard spearman with heaviest gear possible

heerban archer with bow and carrying a knife (no attack with knife)
light archer with bow, knife and leather helmet or hat (sandris and imperator)
medium archer with bambakion (sandris' byzantine archer)
heavy archer with mail or scales and shield on the back(sandris and imperator)

heerban crossbowman (town militias)
light crossbowman iwth helmet
medium crossbowman with bambakion - few examples
heavy crossbowman with metal armour - well covered

heerban javelinman (youth soldiers)
light javelinman (hebrides irish by balam)
medium javelinman - missed
heavy javelinman - also by balam - the late roman javelinthrower - still a very missed unit especially for the byzantines and balkanian or skandinavian world!

slingers - are pretty made except we could need some for the medieval world, especially for the mountain people of everywhere

gunmen - very good covered!

siege units - partly covered...we could need some more specific areas covered like medieval italy, spain, russia, india

heerban cavalry some examples
light cavalry - good coverage
medium cavalry god examples are already made
heavy cavalry/knights - very good coverage
noblemen with ultraheavy gear - partly covered

heerban cavalry with spear - some examples
light cavalry with spear - some examples
medium cavalry with spear - not really present
heavy cavalry with spear - very well covered!
heavy guards with spear - not really covered

heerban mounted archer - some exaples
light mounted archer - some exaples
medium mounted archers - any example?
heavy mounted archers - good coverage

light mounted crossbowman - some examples
medium mounted crossbowman - some examples
heavy mounted crossbowman - good coverage

light mounted javelinman - some examples
medium mounted javelinman - some examples
heavy mounted javelinman - some examples - i think the military tradion of javelin throwing is very important, because it was present in eastern europe till late 18th century! and is not well covered here...though sandris, imperator and balam made units regarding this way of combat!

camel units - here and there - no good coverage - heavy and light version, and different military traditions can bring up a variety of units

elephant units - very well covered!!!!beautifull and realistically correct elephant animation by balam!!!!!! maybe some siege elephants - like rams or carrying different siege equipment...

religious units - very well covered!!!!!!!!!!! shiro!
peasants and settlers - very well covered!!!!!!! plotinus!

scouts and kings - not really here...

leaderheads - very well covered!!!!!by many creators!

ancient and medieval ships - not really covered! - i just found a site with hundreds of pictures only with byzantine warships - a whole universe...maybe someday i could help somebody with information...

i just followed vuldacon's suggestion to tell how i see this wonderfull site and to say what i would add.

people, first thank you for reading this! second, this is just a suggestion, a way to see military unitpalette exhibited, this is not a request, but no more than a suggestion.
my idea is that the larger factions like the enlish, french, turks, russians (complete covereage), italians (almost complete coverage), indians (thank You balam) - should receive a near to complete array of the units proposed and the smaller factions like pechengs, alans, wolga bulgars, due to similar traditions a shorter array of those units but if combined they should represent the totality of a larger faction

also, now to shiro who intends to create a crusader unit line, or to complete the existing units - i would recomand, due to the uniqueness of the historical situation - the crusaders to have all the unit types presented above - so that they represent not only the levant crusaders, but also late cyprus, rhodes, malta, latin constantinople or the teutonic lands (- both in transylvania and in the baltic area) - so many fighting tradition! - there could be also englishmen in the teutonic order, or czechs, or poles, or italians (not really to represent each one of them - but i hope you understand what i mean) - and please no hurry! - what you create now will echo in history! - you don't believe me, but it is true.

and these are parallel units not unitlines, like in other games, they simple have different stats, so that you might play a more clarified historical game. especially the byzantines wrote in their military manuals (i only read simmocata, - half the book, and got tired of the covering of gaps and other formation ballet on the battlefield) infantry should have light armour and move in for encirclement. there is also the cursores-defensores problem and the armoured frontrank soldiers which were covered in metall armour. :eek2:

Top Bottom