Civ V stock image Scavenger hunt

Machu Picchu, Palenque, Cristo Redentor, what else do you want OrsonM to stir even more controversial claims?
Anyone with an acute artistic sense can detect photographic references and "some" elapsed rights to precious property.
Heck, even Michael Angelo would have to spin out of his grave for God & Adam hands in the Sistine Chapel.

Firaxis is quite justified in using images; every illustrator has a repository of images on a multitude of subjects as reference. I'm more interested in how they got their inspiration than "J'ACCUSE!!!!!".

Good artist borrow, great artists steal.

Fair point. I wasn't very clear.

I meant to say if there wasn't enough time that's still not an excuse and if they ripped off other people's work and didn't pay for it then they lack integrity.

I am hoping they did the right thing.

it's not so much your post, even though i used your words, so i guess i should apologize for that. it's more because it's been said probably about once per page. i definitely agree, but still.

oh, and the pyramid with the eye from the utopia project is obviously the one from some united states currency, also a copy.

Firaxis is quite justified in using images; every illustrator has a repository of images on a multitude of subjects as reference. I'm more interested in how they got their inspiration than "J'ACCUSE!!!!!".

Yeah, that's my thought. Considering this thread was created specifically to stir things up, though, I've been hesitant to add fuel to the fire.

That being said, this thread has one more useful thing. For modders who want to add icons to the game, it helps give them some idea how these ones were done so they can keep a consistent style. Of course, maybe they'd have to worry about copyright violations as well, so be careful. :/

Yeah, that's my thought. Considering this thread was created specifically to stir things up, though, I've been hesitant to add fuel to the fire.

I don't know if I would go that far - the title of the thread is "Civ V stock image Scavenger hunt" and not "Civ V stock image Witch hunt," the last I checked.

The person who started this thread has said:

Man I spent hours looking for the damn original images, to be honest every time I find and post them it's just the same point all over again: "Firaxis used a stock images in the laziest and least creative way possible".

The legal talk is mostly because no work was put into these, in most there was little effort to mask the sources at all, in some of these the image is the same!. The artistic team was obviously under a lot of stress from tight deadlines, but that doesn't excuse it either if indeed no permision was asked.

I'd be a bit pissed. Mostly because it's very sneaky.

I too.

Unused "Factory" (TECO Power Plant)
In that very specific case... it takes a *LOT* of talent to reproduce the exact configuration of the plant, add realistic smoke-stash effects and make it so obvious that anyone with the proper search googgling habits would make the connection *IMMEDIATELY** enough.

No wonder my Z-Eras mod is titled "Reality Alternatives", because the intention is clearly spelled out. Sue me? See you in courts of honesty.

Thank you, sir.

At that price i paid for Corel-Draw 7 and its huge library of clip-arts & other assets, i have every rights to use them how i damn well please.
But, when they charged me (again) for PS-Pro X3, i felt like an investor into something i *already* spent money for.

Here's a set of pseudo_Copyrights i own but transferred directly to StarDock Corporation within the X-Worlds mod for GC2-Dark Avatar;

3rd row, fifth from the left.
Last row are white overlays "symbols" that were given up as well.
B-R corner is the mod Logo.

All of which not mine anymore.
But still original author in terms of Intellectual Property Laws as much as some Creative Commons provision.

I don't know if I would go that far - the title of the thread is "Civ V stock image Scavenger hunt" and not "Civ V stock image Witch hunt," the last I checked.
OrsonM *is* on a witch hunt no matter how wisely he tries to deny Firaxis of their design rights for commercial distribution.
I'd say he's been getting dangerously close (so far in this thread) to a cease & desist order from 2K Lawyers.

Moderator Action: Attacking the poster and their motives is considered trolling.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

This thread was not created to specifically stir anything up. I actually began the thread also with a bit of amusement. I'm a fan of the game myself and this has little to do with decrying the game or Firaxis. I feel the how and why is now more important than just putting out more and more pictures.

I would really like to know why is this type of, well, mediocrity seen on a game we all love like Civilization, a triple A game at that. Up to this point I've been supportive of the game, but seeing that this one hits too close to home (from what I do for a living), I just can't stand apathetic to it.

I don't think anyone can really justify or celebrate this, not for a game that already has so much originality in it, I at least wouldn't, I feel it cheapens the game a bit, even if the entire thing is solid legally.

And I still have no idea why they keep flipping the stock images.

You're beating a dead horse, OrsonM.

Creativity is as complex as every darn plagiarized books published and stuck on library shelves for everyone to purchase or read.
Throw in the magazines & the newspapers racket of stolen photographs and you get a glimpse of an even greater problem with original "materials" or resources real value.

If an artist at Firaxis requires a stock-photo to produces an Icon, it's a symptomatic proof that talent is not only rare but that bazillions of images are available.
Calling *them* lazy or incompetent is a whole different issue since you are observing a *METHOD* widely spread ever since the very first game programs went to the 'puter realms.

Arcades, Floppies, CD, DVD -- all of which contained GDI, sprites, 3D texturing, models, representation of reality. Pixels by pixels. Dots by dots.

What i really don't understand though is that you're trying to demean fellow co-workers (assuming you are actually a real designer with a port-folio and solid credentials in *OUR* industry) actively pursuing successful careers.

Care to explain why?
But don't take us for some idiots who can't tell apart graphics from legal content - because we all knew that much before you even tried.
Napoleon looks real enough on that horse for plenty of CiV players.
Try doing better, i'll the first to laugh if you fail for the many reasons you already know about.
Nobody is blind here. Not even me.

Moderator Action: This is needlessly personal, and is considered trolling. This discussion need not be at all personal.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

That one was totally uncreative of Fireaxis. Shame on you, Fireaxis! At least flip it!

Gee, how come they didn't bother to keep the Statues on the roof or the flag?
Silly, weren't they?:sarcasm:

Can't satisfy everyone it seems.
All of the perfectionists would radicalize the color of a blue sky - if they could while claiming clouds aren't always represented in the same shade of greys.
More so if there are some weird Rays deploying in the background for "consistency" reasons beyond someone's design choices or definition of acceptable quality.

Strange. Very. So much in fact that i won't be contributing to this thread *EVER* again.

and back on topic, anyone found the source for the colossus?

the color scheme seems to be based on dali's colossus

but i couldn't find any match for the actual person holding up torch. with the spiky hair it looks like an anime character. almost all the images that come up searching for the colossus of rhodes have him holding up his right hand, while the icon has him holding up left, so i suspect an amalgam source.

I tried finding a match, but could only find yours. The source and outcome seem to point the asset was an interpretation based on numerous sources and inspirations (aka: an original piece). Perhaps the following were also used as sources:

This thread was not created to specifically stir anything up. I actually began the thread also with a bit of amusement. I'm a fan of the game myself and this has little to do with decrying the game or Firaxis. I feel the how and why is now more important than just putting out more and more pictures.

I would really like to know why is this type of, well, mediocrity seen on a game we all love like Civilization, a triple A game at that. Up to this point I've been supportive of the game, but seeing that this one hits too close to home (from what I do for a living), I just can't stand apathetic to it.

I don't think anyone can really justify or celebrate this, not for a game that already has so much originality in it, I at least wouldn't, I feel it cheapens the game a bit, even if the entire thing is solid legally.

And I still have no idea why they keep flipping the stock images.

Don't let some people dissuade you. This is an excellent thread and very worthwhile.

Furthermore, I don't see this as a reason to hate Civilization 5 even more. In my opinion, Civilization 5 is quite bad but this thread speaks to an entirely different issue. Potential dishonesty.

I'd feel the same way if Paradox Interactive (whom I like and respect) were found out to be doing the same thing. Same goes for Stardock. I quite like their art for their upcoming game Elemental: Fallen Enchantress. Now if I found out that they had been doing things on the sligh, I'd be more than disappointed with them.

I think what we are seeing here is an automatic inclination (knee jerk reaction) to defend Civilization 5 no matter what. That's not the issue however. It's no different than taking Bioware to task over Neverwinter nights. I loved the game but I can't condone what they did originally. I honestly didn't know about that and it opened my eyes on the subject.

It's a bit sad actually when people who actually like Civilization 5 like the Op does are getting ripped apart for pointing out something that potentially needs correcting. He's not ranting or raving and he's taken all the right steps here by trying to engage 2K Greg.

Now that I've said my piece, I must commend the Op for being very polite and measuring his words throughout this thread. I'd like to see this thread continue so let's all keep a level head please.

Hehehe! This is a really funny thread, especially in the cases where you find the image used on the first page, or first result on google image search! Despite what some people might think, I can't find any other explanation than lazyness for the ones that are blatant copies. This many times goes beyond using images as references!

Thread is fun
Crusade is not

Top Bottom