Preview and Request Thread

The shirt is taken from a sculpture at Bharhut (it's in the first spoiler in the link from ShiroKobbure). Most places I've seen say it's Indian, although wiki says Indo-greek.
Check the description of the sculpture here. "a Greek warrior has been coopted into the role of dvarapala. The evidence includes his hairstyle, tunic, and boots. In his right hand he holds a grape plant (closeup), emblematic of his origin." His style of clothing is similar to the figures in the relief at Sanchi known as "foreigners worshipping stupa".

Also from Sanchi, the topmost figure holding a mace clearly shows the style of turban and the long sash. A more detailed figure of similar style. A battle scene from Sanchi portrays combatants wearing banded armor that covers the torso but leaves the shoulders free . The turbans with the front knot as well. That style of armor would seem to be appropriate for high-caste (elite) units. It would be consistent with Porus' shoulder wound (despite wearing arrow-proof armor according to contemporary accounts) at the Battle of Hydaspes River in 326 BCE. The relief does show the style of shield you previewed - guess I had Tamil region in mind rather than strictly Mauryan.

Awesome. By raising or lowering the pants hem or colorizing the texture all sorts of regional & era variations should be possible. That should work for anywhere from the Vedic era through to the period when gunpowder and earlier technologies mixed.

Would it be possible to make the loincloth, or whatever the dangly bit is called, civ-color? The belt that is civ-color now & the loincloth are actually (in RL) one long sash tied around the waist. Not sure how much that prop can be manipulated, but maybe it should be narrower? As seen in these galleries from my unit art thread bottom center here, right side in this one, and center here.

I can change the loin cloth colour, I guess i misinterpreted you as to what the sash meant. The length and width can be changed a bit too.

Your solution to the strange moustache style looks great. Hope to see it in later units such as the Rajputs as well. It was fairly popular at the time Europeans came into the picture.

To me he looks like a 19th century British soldier with a very heavy tan...

Check the description of the sculpture here. "a Greek warrior has been coopted into the role of dvarapala. The evidence includes his hairstyle, tunic, and boots. In his right hand he holds a grape plant (closeup), emblematic of his origin." His style of clothing is similar to the figures in the relief at Sanchi known as "foreigners worshipping stupa".

Your sources are better than mine and I yield.

Also from Sanchi, the topmost figure holding a mace clearly shows the style of turban and the long sash. A more detailed figure of similar style. A battle scene from Sanchi portrays combatants wearing banded armor that covers the torso but leaves the shoulders free . The turbans with the front knot as well. That style of armor would seem to be appropriate for high-caste (elite) units. It would be consistent with Porus' shoulder wound (despite wearing arrow-proof armor according to contemporary accounts) at the Battle of Hydaspes River in 326 BCE. The relief does show the style of shield you previewed - guess I had Tamil region in mind rather than strictly Mauryan.

My thought is to keep the tower shield for the spearman (maybe tweek the size) and give a round shield and the armour to a swordsman.

Hm, sorry for interrupting you, gentlemen.
If there's the chance to request something when the big plan is on the way, I'd like to request Medieval Hungarian pack of 5 units - crossbowman, spearman, swordsman, horseman, knight. :)
I do know there's the knight made by BeBro, but if it there's the chance to get the unified style pack... :)
Imperator has in plans this pack, but he's really busy, so I'm not sure it's the right time to disturb him. :)
Thanks for attention - it's just the humble request, not the demand. :)

High medieval, or late medieval? I'm already planning a Early Medieval Magyar set from when they were still nomads so adding a few more wouldn't be too hard.

They look good Balam. I actually have a use for Indian units, so it suits me great!

But any chance there's some Warhammer in the mix? ;)

The two i previewed are mostly done but are suffering from palate issues (esp. the Chaos warrior). I'll hopefully be able to figure out the problem soonish.

Balam, thanks for reply. :)
I'd like to request Magyar High Medieval pack. Of course, I'd like to see both High + Late Medieval packs ("standard practice" of Imperator), but it's up to you.
To explain more precisely what I mean saying "High Medieval" - please, look at the image in the spoiler. These are Sandris French packs, and, I suppose, Magyar "High Med" would be cool to match his "High Med".

Also, if it's possible I'd like to request iron age Gaulish swordsman to complete the Sandris line - as you may see in the image in the spoiler, there's no swordsman for the iron age (I assume it could be in the top row, position 7 counting from the left). It's not the big deal, but the wonderful workers from Plotinus match exactly this era (they're in trousers, not in panties).

Thank you for attention to my request. :)
Spoiler :

Updated swordsman (ignore the lack of hair for the moment)

To me he looks like a 19th century British soldier with a very heavy tan...
Don't have an academic source to quote, but my instinct is that British imitated the style when they served as cadre with irregular units.
Especially as part of "going native".

Updated swordsman (ignore the lack of hair for the moment)
I can change the loin cloth colour, I guess i misinterpreted you as to what the sash meant. The length and width can be changed a bit too.
As you suggested, a bit narrower perhaps; but the length is fine. In the pictures I've seen it seems narrower at the top then fans out - but that is probably very difficult to do - not worth the trouble.
My thought is to keep the tower shield for the spearman (maybe tweek the size) and give a round shield and the armour to a swordsman.
The armor seems right. Shield shape makes perfect sense in terms of how they would fight.

Indians of the period were very caste conscious. As a suggestion (only) - make the lower class units without armor, mid-range with, and a couple of elite units with the same armor but metal and helmeted. How you divide that amongst the various units you have in mind is up to you. The only specific suggestion is that in India the archer was held in the same reverence as a swordsman in medieval Europe or in traditional Japan. So there ought to be an archer with the best armor and bow.

Also, the khanda (double-edged sword with very blunt or flat end) was used starting early and on through the Mughal era. Sword styles varied widely, but that shape would make sense for Vedic-Mauryan eras if you want to do something different than for later periods.
thumbnail

If you are intending to make a cavalry unit there is a special type of spear called a sainthi which is used underhand and held by a handle attatched to the shaft so it can be swung to stab without losing grip. Not sure how early it was used, but the attack style at least makes sense if not the specific weapon.

Indians of the period were very caste conscious. As a suggestion (only) - make the lower class units without armor, mid-range with, and a couple of elite units with the same armor but metal and helmeted. How you divide that amongst the various units you have in mind is up to you. The only specific suggestion is that in India the archer was held in the same reverence as a swordsman in medieval Europe or in traditional Japan. So there ought to be an archer with the best armor and bow.

My thought is for an umarmoured spearman and archer, a leather armoured swordsman (and possibly cavalry), an elite archer, and an elite maceman.

Also, the khanda (double-edged sword with very blunt or flat end) was used starting early and on through the Mughal era. Sword styles varied widely, but that shape would make sense for Vedic-Mauryan eras if you want to do something different than for later periods.

I'm going to use a khanda for the Mauryans, Guptas, and Rajputs. The Delhi Sulitinates and Mughals will have Tulwars.

Edit: previews of the Spearman, Swordsman, and Maceman...

These are looking very good. The mace wielder (and any units with the elite armor) need the string to indicate they are kshatrya (warrior caste) - outside the armor is fine as shown in many statues, etc. The string is optional for other units you may make but only the kshatrya would have elite equipment and the string is the symbol of their rank.

I notice on the swordsman that the turban turns into blue sideburns. Even so ... :goodjob: By the way, found out that style of facial hair is called "friendly muttonchops" in English. Don't know the Hindi name, although it is still popular amongst some military units.

You may find this site of use both for naming units & garnering ideas for animations or even other units. Even though what promises to be a very busy semester starts next week, I'll do my best to be available for whatever visual inspiration you may desire.

These are looking very good. The mace wielder (and any units with the elite armor) need the string to indicate they are kshatrya (warrior caste) - outside the armor is fine as shown in many statues, etc. The string is optional for other units you may make but only the kshatrya would have elite equipment and the string is the symbol of their rank.

Having the string inside the armour is far easier, if that works.

I notice on the swordsman that the turban turns into blue sideburns. Even so ... :goodjob:

The line of the turban goes behind the ears...:mischief:. At civ scale it won't be noticeable.

By the way, found out that style of facial hair is called "friendly muttonchops" in English. Don't know the Hindi name, although it is still popular amongst some military units.

AKA The Lemmy

You may find this site of use both for naming units & garnering ideas for animations or even other units.

Bookmarked.

Even though what promises to be a very busy semester starts next week, I'll do my best to be available for whatever visual inspiration you may desire.

Any aid you can give is greatly appreciated

Having the string inside the armour is far easier, if that works.
There's my preference (outside) & there's what works. Not sure how well it would show at civ-scale. Maybe not worth the effort. If you decide to make a unit or two with the helmet but no armor maybe then the string would show.

Any aid you can give is greatly appreciated
I've got hundreds of images that were rescued from a hd crash and only have numbers for names. But they're very roughly sorted by categories (weapons, armor, etc.). Let me know what you want as you go. Not hard to track down if there's something specific that's wanted. I'd really like to make a line of Indian weapons props and upload them for general use, but that's not a realistic goal just now.

While I've been fininshing some other unit packs, I've stared modeling some more Indians:

Early Chola
Spoiler :

Which length is better?

Satavahana
Spoiler :

Vijayanagara
Spoiler :

Sikhs
Spoiler :

Maratha
Spoiler :

Criticism/suggestions welcome as always.

p.s. feel free to keep requests coming, but remember that they take time...

just keep them comming i adore them!! what i would need is not indian but a khwarezmian heavy armoured elephant

Spoiler :

a liitle like the one above but with a small wooden tower and some khwarezmian armour for the units...the second unit i would need would be a khwarezmian white elephant with a khwarezmian flag carrier

Spoiler :

and if you allow a third request!! the good old acolithoi

Spoiler :

i simply need a light spearman for the byzantines...nice you would create them!! :blush:

A small request: Since you've made early Levy Spearmen, could you add a simple Archer (same look & clothes) to the set?

Early Chola

Which length is better?
Even though some of the images previously posted (and in this spoiler) have a longer length, imho shorter is better. Emphasizes the shorter style of "pants", distinguishes it from other Indian regions. You could even eliminate the loincloth part & just keep the belt.

Spoiler :

Also, while many people use a single rgb number for all the civ-color it is also possible to use shades. Vuldacon & I had a brief discussion several years ago about colorizing the texture you're using for the dhoti. According to him at the time it is perfectly feasible to colorize that (or any) texture to be in the civ-color range of the palette. Then you could have variously colored dhotis for some of these Indian units without that flat plastic look units sometimes get when there is too much civ color.

Top Bottom