CivFanatics -- Hands-On Civ4 Preview

oagersnap said:
It's a great re/preview, I'm just sceptic about one thing:

Does this mean that only one civ can have each religion? I don't hope so, 'cause that would be very very very annoying. (Did I say very?)

No, any Civ can have any religion, but only one Civ can found each religion.

oagersnap said:
Does this mean that only one civ can have each religion? I don't hope so, 'cause that would be very very very annoying. (Did I say very?)

Now, keeping in mind that I don't have first-hand experience, and have learned the following from one preview or another...multiple civs can have the same religion. In fact, you will try to get other civs to have your religion. But being the founding civ of a religion will give you extra benefits when dealing with other civs that convert to that religion.

oagersnap said:
It's a great re/preview, I'm just sceptic about one thing:

I doubt that (pure speculation here!)...

If you read Civrules preview the way I read it (not necesserily right) I think he meant that you still have a chance to jump on the religious bandwagon later with christianity and/or Islam... And with having a free missionary unit helping you to spread these religions you get a kick-start...

Reading it that way would mean, that you COULD get multiple religions... (seems to be the most possible option, IMO)

Is the religion founded by a Civ, or by a City? If I capture the city where the religion is founded.... do I get any perks from it?

Developers journal on the Official Site sez:
If you are the first to discover the technology associated with a religion, the religion is founded in one of your cities. Religion can spread passively throughout your cities and even into neighboring cities belonging to your opponents. Establishing trade routes can help spread your religion faster and farther. Certain religious buildings can also help this passive spread but if you want to move the process along, you will want to create missionaries. Missionaries are units that you can move to another city (your own or an opponent's) and attempt to directly convert that city to your religion.

I really enjoyed this review! It shared much more about the game and the general play compared to reviews on other game sites.

Thanks Civrules!

Very good article Civrules:goodjob: I really like the impression you give:)
The talk of Barbarian cities greatly please me, as this was something I was advocating back when we were making suggestions etc

I also like the sound of how wars are fouhgt and the diplomacy, I am getting very exicted:D

omg....now I MUST have civ IV right now! I'm becoming crazy...I'm not joking!!!!

aaaaararrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! This preview made me veeeery civ addicted:crazyeye:

So, are there different city styles like in Civ III or is it all western european from what I've seen in the screenshots?

Meleager said:
That was my first thought when I saw that too. :lol:

But its probobly just a preview.

I would they walk us through the game live with a web cam :D
Weird! My mind also immediately thought of a demo! Although I hope it is (we could find out for sure if our computers could run the game), I doubt it's what it is.

wotan321 said:
Developers journal on the Official Site sez:
If you are the first to discover the technology associated with a religion, the religion is founded in one of your cities. Religion can spread passively throughout your cities and even into neighboring cities belonging to your opponents. Establishing trade routes can help spread your religion faster and farther. Certain religious buildings can also help this passive spread but if you want to move the process along, you will want to create missionaries. Missionaries are units that you can move to another city (your own or an opponent's) and attempt to directly convert that city to your religion.

Does that mean that you can have more than one religion (in different parts of your empire)?

quote: "Just One More Turn Syndrome for the first time, which, by the way, is much stronger here in the new game"

NOOOOOOOOOO!

I've spent thousands of hours since civ 2 came out on this game because of that syndrome It cant be worse or I shall forget to eat and drink, I already dont sleep how much more can you ask of me Firaxis? You are indeed a cruel taskmaster.

tmarcl said:
2) Originally, Firaxis said there'd be no more pollution. It looks like they changed their mind about this. Is pollution as pervasive as it is in CivIII? Are we going to still be spending all the latter game cleaning it up?

Marc

There is no pollution. Its annoyance is gone! :)

Obviously, I'm reading all your questions but since some of the questions require new info to be revealed/detailed explenations, I won't try and answer them, and its not because I'm ignoring them. :) Overall if I had the chance to answer them I would and I think the answers would be good. ;)

I can talk about more obvious things and mention a few things on general game-play feel, etc.

That said, I will say again the JOMT Syndrome is alive and well, and more addictive than ever.

oagersnap said:
Does that mean that you can have more than one religion (in different parts of your empire)?

Like the preview said, you can also have more than one religion even in a city.

It might be hard for you guys to believe, but I'm also anticipating Civ4's release. :p The reason behind it is because I (as well as Firaxis and the other testers) want to hear what you guys think of it! And like Trip said a few posts back, what fun is revealing all the info now? ;)

But then again, speaking of new info, it will be coming rather soon here.

My first thought on the (big news in a few days) was a preview of Civ4 with one of the beta testers like Ryne (Modder) who is making the Real world map to ship with the game. So I was thinking we would find out some of the mods that were already made to ship with Civ4 and how mod friendly Civ4 really is....:)

Greart preview Civrules! I have just one question, if you can answer it, does the game still suffer from that period when essentially nothing is happening and you are pressing enter to end the turn repeatedly till you get some new construction or research? It happens in Civ III and I wonder if increase in automation increases it.

Naveed said:
Greart preview Civrules! I have just one question, if you can answer it, does the game still suffer from that period when essentially nothing is happening and you are pressing enter to end the turn repeatedly till you get some new construction or research? It happens in Civ III and I wonder if increase in automation increases it.

That's what they've been trying to improve. Hence, the more addictive JOMT. And, IIRC, that happened more toward the late game in Civ3.

To back up what I just said without me going into too much detail, there was an interview with Barry Caudill a while ago about that on GS:

Barry Caudill said:
...As you note, there will be tons of units and cities at the end of the game, and that has an effect no matter what. On the other hand, we are doing a lot to streamline various aspects of the game, and that will significantly improve the late-game experience. For instance, you will be able to easily group units and command them as one. You can also select multiple cities and give them all the same build orders at the same time. Workers can be grouped together, and then their actions within that group can be queued--so you can tell three workers to build a road to a certain point and not have to mess with them for several turns. Finally, we eliminated the elements that tended to slow down the late game, including pollution cleanup, city riots, and units disbanding because you have money issues. So, the late-game experience should be as much fun as the rest of the game.

Top Bottom