Civ5 - shipping with Steamworks * plus Digital Deluxe Edition

Again DLC is added to push the product at retail price 59.99. Otherwise everyone would sell it for the MAP price of 49.99. This is how marketing works these days, not just in the software business.

So, has anyone considered the effect this news will have on mods?

Steam forces updates. Mods will break. A lot. Yes, there is offline mode, but be realistic. Of those that use it, how many of you are able to stay away from getting online with Steam at least once in a while? When you do go online, Steam will note that an update is needed and will not allow offline mode until the update is done. Many users have run into this issue.

With the lockout of Babylonia to Deluxe buyers only, I assume that some aspects of Civ V will not be open to modding. Obviously, everyone will have the Babylonian files in their install, (they must for multiplayer to work) they just won't be allowed to access them. I wonder what else we won't be allowed to fiddle with?

Steam only auto updates games if you have it setup to do so, if you do not want your games auto updated then change the settings.

Steam is actually a hidden message that activates your computers true identity as . . .

A CYLON. :eek:

Anyone who doesn't buy this game because of steam has probably never tried it (or not within the past year at least)

:lol::lol:
Wouldn't mind if it turned into a Number 6 though :D

all of those who won't buy it because of steam, go ahead and not enjoy CiV (we'll see how many of you keep their "oath" of steam purity :lol:)

if steam does stuff that you do not want but cannot disable, it is a virus.

Complaining about a DRM solution in 2010 is like complaining that the governemnt makes you buckle your seat belt, unlike your dads old muscle car.

If you think that tolerating a DRM solution is to much for you to handle I guess you won't be playing any new games at all. No company is going to invest money in a game with out protecting it. I don't know if you've noticed but other than movies, games are the largest pirated files on bittorents.

So if using steam which as DRM solutions go, is one of the less intrusive ones, is a game breaker for you I guess Civ4 will be your game of choice.. The rest of us will be enjoying the new kid on the block.....

CS

I love how people act like steam is some kind of virus, and allowing it to update your games hassle free is going to ruin your computer.

It's worse than a virus. I've never had problems getting rid of a virus, but I've had severe problems getting rid of all traces of Steam.

Complaining about a DRM solution in 2010 is like complaining that the governemnt makes you buckle your seat belt, unlike your dads old muscle car.

DRM shoudl be very lax anyway.

If you think that tolerating a DRM solution is to much for you to handle I guess you won't be playing any new games at all. No company is going to invest money in a game with out protecting it. I don't know if you've noticed but other than movies, games are the largest pirated files on bittorents.

i don't play the new games anyway. too complicated. and yes i am aware of that.

So if using steam which as DRM solutions go, is one of the less intrusive ones, is a game breaker for you I guess Civ4 will be your game of choice.. The rest of us will be enjoying the new kid on the block.....

i may try civilization 5 anyway. i may not like it though, since new games = very complicated.

i may try civilization 5 anyway. i may not like it though, since new games = very complicated.

Not sure when you started gaming, but for me, in most cases new games = streamlined and less complex. A prime example here are the so called 'strategy games' of today, or what passes for RPGs. Still, I appreciate that, as I no longer have time to 'work' on a game.

EDIT: And upon reflection, even though I like steam quite a bit, I'd rather Civ 5 wasn't Steam-only. That seems a bit excessive.

Perhaps, but you can place steam in off line mode afte the game has been authencated once.

There are caveats to offline mode operation. There must not be a Steam update pending. There must not be a game update pending. You must authenticate, then go offline. When you go back online, games will have to authenticate.

Steam is not that big of a deal, it doesn't look at your computer, or send non game data to the server.

Incorrect. Steam actually tracks a ton of data. This regularly gets published by Valve.

The only people that have to worry about steam are the hackers that try and pirate the game and get caught by the VAC system.

That's untrue. Some of us are concerned about Steam because it is building towards a monopoly on digital distribution of games. We are also worried about the future of Steam. As I said before, Valve is a privately held company. No one has any control over it but the owner and he could sell at any time or the company could just go belly up. Since no one knows what the financials are like, anything goes. If Steam dies, you will lose access to Civ V unless 2K steps up and does something after the fact.

For the rest of us it is just the cost of modern DRM. Not a game stopper for enjoying the next iteration of the Civ franchise.

I don't want to get melodramatic, but some of us don't agree that it's the "cost of modern DRM" nor do we feel that we should be punished over the piracy issue. Steam isn't a hack-proof solution. If the concern is just stopping casual piracy, then there are other methods.

Personally, I think Steamworks is great for some games. I don't think it's necessary for Civ V.

You'll have to activate the game on installation, so yes, you'll need an internet connection once.
Thank you for clarifying the point.

As for playing the game in the future, I think Firaxis is an awesome example of a dev who is committed to their fans ... We know that, and we don't want that to change.
However, it now has changed. At least insofar as I am one of those fans. If I wish to be graceful to Firaxis, I'll say that it is committed up until the point at which its publisher insists on poisoning the well.

Activation is a line in the sand that I will not cross. I expect anything I purchase to be in good working order years down the line, regardless of the condition of the company that I bought it from.

It is only my great love of the series that will lead to my purchasing the game when I find Civ 5 Complete available for $4.99 in December of 2011 or 2012. I would have bought the game, and any expansions, for full price the week of release if they had not done this.

Thank you again for answering my questions. I'm disappointed, as I had been looking forward to Civ 5 enormously before this decision mucked it up.

I really doubt game developers care very much what a few people say now. "I'm never buying this game" is likely to change over the next 4 months, it happens with every game release.

Is it just me or this guy a paid employee of Steam? 10 posts an account that shows its been active since 2002...yet the majority of the posts are in defense of Steam with detailed info on the benefits?

I am okay with the Steam decision as I have not had a bad experience yet, but the above users posts have struck me as odd.
Haw haw, nothing quite so dramatic, just a very long time lurker and 'valve fanboi' ;)

Not gonna buy it if they're gonna pull the extra content and I'm sure soon enough DLC crap, along with if it needs steam. I have nothing wrong with steam, but just don't want Civ attached to it.

It's been said before in the thread, but for me the biggest problem with Steam and its type of business model is not the copy protection or the software itself, no, it's the fact that it promotes the growth of micro-transactions and DLC as the future of PC gaming, which I find horribly depressing. People, stop buyin DLC and micro-transactions.

I really doubt game developers care very much what a few people say now. "I'm never buying this game" is likely to change over the next 4 months, it happens with every game release.

Many people won't buy the game; They'll wait a couple of days and get a Steam-free version instead. They might not be able to play online, but Civ is mostly a single player game anyway.

My point is that this decision is going to make people, who'd normally buy the game, get a cracked version instead and that can't be good for anyone.

I've never played Civ online anyway. My whole issue really is being forced to use steam, plus the fact they're going to go the DLC and extra content route.

In this instance, we do care. The dev team (I'm sure you are aware) read this place all the time, as do I. Your opinions are very important to us - which is one of the reasons I'm here so much today. This is an important discussion.

Many people won't buy the game; They'll wait a couple of days and get a Steam-free version instead. They might not be able to play online, but Civ is mostly a single player game anyway.

My point is that this decision is going to make people, who'd normally buy the game, get a cracked version instead and that can't be good for anyone.

This is absolutely true
I wanted to buy the game as soon as possible, if Steam remains this way then I won't.
Along with the majority of the traditional fans of the civ series, whom Firaxis and 2K claims are the most important fanbase...

In this instance, we do care. The dev team (I'm sure you are aware) read this place all the time, as do I. Your opinions are very important to us - which is one of the reasons I'm here so much today. This is an important discussion.

Important, but closed, correct? There's realistically nothing that's going to change this decision at this point.

Then there is still some hope?
Thank you Elizabeth!
I really think we should make that petition...

EDIT: On the other hand: Another thing I hope is that Jarvi and other fcking *****s (meaning = paid and fake CFC accounts) are not connected to the dev team, just to Steam...

EDIT2: nevermind, NikNak is right. it was just a line :(

Top Bottom