AI Hates Settlements

DCMage

Chieftain
Hello,

Played a Few games now with this mod, must say like the changes alot, they only downfall I can find is that the AI Never builds more than 2-4 Settlements, I am not sure this is Mod related as the AI does act similar in Vanilla.

Also I was wondering if you would think about reducing the Settlement Size on the World map, Having massive settlements that look like they take up 2-4 tiles is just wrong :)

On large maps, I often see AI empires over 6 colonies.

In 1.08 they suffered a bit as converting to the 1.01f patch decapitated a lot of AI work I'd done, but that is getting back in for 1.09 and 1.10. :)

Im running 1.09b, Have 12 Colonies, AI has max of 5(France), using Ozzy's America Map (think its Huge?) on Governer Difficulty, it Just seems the AI is lacking in Building its Colonies, Im playing as England and also seem to be getting all the Founding Fathers too, have 24 in my Congress and the AI has 0 between them atm, my score is 1500 odd, the nearest too me is 350(Portugese)

Also the AI doesnt seem to liek Scouts, which I myself get as early as possible, for the treasure's/Gold you get form Indian Villages/Ruins. I explored the whole Northern America without any competion from France(The only other European in Northern America) which means I got alot of treasure/Gold (about 40,000, if not a bit more, explored all the way to about the end of mexico(where the Dutch Colonised)

Yeah, I'm having the exact same problem. I've cranked up the difficulty to revolutionary and turned aggressive AI on, and the AI keeps pace until about 1530, and then they just... stop. It's like they hit a cieling. All elements of their growth except power becomes stagnant, and many of their ships simply stop behaving rationally. For instance, the Chinese built 4 privateers and left them stationary outside of their colonies, even though there are no pirates and no enemy privateers. They also dropped their galleons off in a distant corner of the map where they have not moved for years. Some AI only have their starting ship, so goods are stacked up on their docks, going bad (I noticed this when I went to trade with them.)

It's 1550, and I have 9 colonies with a megapole city of 30 citizens. The largest AI city is 9. I now have more liberty bells than every other colonial power COMBINED and I have 3 times more GNP and manufactured goods than any other AI. All this, and the difficulty is maxed out.

Anyway, AOD is an awesome mod, but it's difficult to find any challenge when you can just bowl the AI.

In version 1.10, Dale has improved that a lot!

AI will have more BP and GNP than what what you have in combined 3 games. ;)

So far in Beta 1.10 the AI expands quite aggressively on the higher levels... you certainly wouldn't complain that they're too timid. Unless you're on a big map, by 1600 they've plopped cities down on every habitable part of the globe (the only thing that slowed them down is running out of space :p)

I'm trying the beta 1.10 right now on a mid-range difficulty level and it seems pretty decent so far. Comp certainly expands faster than all but the most aggresive player, but at a fairly reasonable rate.

But sure can't wait for the final version of 1.10... it's the only thing keeping me away from World of Warcraft at the moment!

Thanks Dale, and all of you ancilliaries that are helping with the mod!! You've really got a great game in the works; AOD 2 is turning out just the way I had always had hoped Col 2 would! I certainly would help if only I had more time :-(

Confirming that there currently seems no problems with AI building settlements in 1.10.

I might even go further and say that the speed at which the AI expands even at lower difficulties is annoying (my 2 colonies on hand-picked plots vs AI 7 colonies on random tiles). In the later game AI places some pointless pop. 2 suburb-towns around the coastline/border only a tile apart from its bigger cities.

Top Bottom