Can I use the BUG mod? YES!

No I didn't do that, at that point I had pretty much given up trying to fix it and just deleted the bug mod.
Well, you seem to have EmperorFool's attention now, in here. They don't get much more expert than that in this area!
Not only did I not receive help there btw the only post I got was someone making fun of macs.
You ought to be used to that by now. :)

In both cases I corrected the appropriate file. And in both cases the same effect.

But, "Fixed the problem, in single player games."?

though installing it as a mod I had to load I could only play games that where started with the mod loaded that way, I assume that is normal.

That's just how Civ4 works. When you start a game with a mod loaded, Civ4 writes the name of the mod into the saved games. You can trick it later if you are using a mod that has saved game compatibility with plain Civ4 games (like BUG) by creating an empty folder with the mod's name in the Mods folder.

Also when you install it in the custom assets folder as far as I could tell there was no Bug Mod x.x folder in the applications/civilization 4/beyond the sword/mods.

Correct as the files are installed into the CustomAssets folder instead. This makes Civ4 load the files automatically for every non-mod game that says that the CustomAssets folder should be ignored. It can get rather confusing, and I wish Civ4 wasn't so complicated, but that's what we have to work with. :(

It either lives in one place or the other so there is only one file to fix.

If you install it to CustomAssets and as a mod at the same time, you'd have to fix both places for it to work both ways. Again, there's nothing BUG can do about how Civ4 works.

No I didn't do that, at that point I had pretty much given up trying to fix it and just deleted the bug mod.

I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. I scan the BUG forum for new posts every day and reply to every one AFAIK.

Not only did I not receive help there btw the only post I got was someone making fun of macs.

Well that's not very constructive. :(

If you give it another shot, let me know and I'll do my best to help you. MP is a tough nut to crack with mods on Civ4, but the single player games should work flawlessly.

I've shown my long distance girlfriend screenshots of me using BUG. She likes it. But when she pastes the files into her MOD folder and starts the game (and loads the mod), she loses the UI. We are using Bug 4.4. Have I missed something? I'll admit I have only read the first 3 pages of this thread, and I apologize if the answers are hidden in there somewhere. We have applied the python fix I read about early on, and that didn't solve the problem. We've been playing just together multiplayer for over a year now, wtihout problems (aside from sync errors). Any ideas?

If she is running another mod, BUG mod can conflict with it. She should also be sure that she has installed it according to the instructions that come with it in the zip folder. Does it work if she tries it in single player? If so, see below, if not then it is one of the two things above.

The other possibility is if you are using it multiplayer. Someone asked about that recently in the general discussion forum. If I remember correctly, one of the BUG team replied that they had designed it for single player and did not know if it would work in multi-player. You can check on that by inquiring in the BUG mod thread in the Creation forum.

Missing interface is indicative of a Python error (Python is the scripting language that most of BUG is written in). To help solve the problem open ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/CivilizationIV.ini (in TextEdit or similar), find the line 'LoggingEnabled = 0' and change it to 'LoggingEnabled = 1'.

Next, try to launch BUG and after quitting find the file ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Logs/PythonErr.log. Post the contents of that file here and it will help us isolate the issue further.

So I've done everything i could do in this thread to install the latest version of bug, even post 172's instructions, but when the game starts, i get under "autosaving" an alert that the game cannot parse config/bug Main interface.xml at line 100. Now I don't know what to do here since my text edit doesn't have lines and i don't know what to look for... any ideas of what to fix?

Please answer the questions on the Troubleshooting thread linked in my sig and make sure to post the contents of PythonErr.log and PythonDbg.log from the Logs folder.

Line 100 from that file is:

<widget name="WIDGET_GP_PROGRESS_BAR" module="GPUtil" function="getHoverText"/>

Search the file for a line like this about halfway down. If yours has some difference, change it to this.

If that is not the trouble, someone more knowledgeable will have to help.

EDIT: Do what EmperorFool says. He is one of the authors (BUG Team).

The B in BUG stands for BTS. It does not work with Warlords or vanilla but requires the Beyond the Sword expansion. For Warlords I recommend Ruff's Cobbled Modpack which you can find in the download database.

The B in BUG stands for BTS. It does not work with Warlords or vanilla but requires the Beyond the Sword expansion. For Warlords I recommend Ruff's Cobbled Modpack which you can find in the download database.

Thanks. I downloaded Ruff's Modpack for Warlords. Unfortunately, I am not a computer geek and it does not come with any instructions on how to install/use it.:confused:

It's probably a ZIP archive that you just need to unpack in the My Games \ Warlords \ Mods folder and then load it from within the game. You'll end up with a structure like this:

Code:
My Games\
    Warlords\ (or Civ4 and then Warlords)
        Mods\
            RuffMod\
                Assets\

It's probably a ZIP archive that you just need to unpack in the My Games \ Warlords \ Mods folder and then load it from within the game. You'll end up with a structure like this:

Code:
My Games\
    Warlords\ (or Civ4 and then Warlords)
        Mods\
            RuffMod\
                Assets\

On the Mac, the "\ MyGames \ Warlords \ Mods \" folder translates to:

/Users/<your_user_name>/Documents/Civilization IV Warlords/Mods/

On the Mac, the "\ MyGames \ Warlords \ Mods \" folder translates to:

/Users/<your_user_name>/Documents/Civilization IV Warlords/Mods/

So, when I did the download, I get a folder called "RuffMod w v4". The folder contains three items…

1. A folder called CustomAssets (inside that folder are folders art, python, res, sounds, xml)

2. A file called "ModSpcDomAdvColumns.txt"

3. A file called RuffMod_2w.ini"

I have successfully located the Mods folder inside the "Civilization IV Warlords" folder on my Mac.

So should I just copy all 3 of these things into the Mods folder?

Or just drop the whole "RuffMod w.v4" folder I downloaded into my Mods folder?

Please advise. Thanks.:)

You have two choices.

1. If you want to load Ruff's mod separately whenever you feel like playing with it, copy the "RuffMod w.v4" folder into your Mods folder and rename CustomAssets to Assets.
  2. If you want Ruff's mod to be active for every game you play, copy the three files inside "RuffMod w.v4" to the folder /Users/<your_user_name>/Documents/Civilization IV Warlords/. I'm not 100% positive about this one because I haven't poked around Ruff's mod in over four years.

You have two choices.

1. If you want to load Ruff's mod separately whenever you feel like playing with it, copy the "RuffMod w.v4" folder into your Mods folder and rename CustomAssets to Assets.
  2. If you want Ruff's mod to be active for every game you play, copy the three files inside "RuffMod w.v4" to the folder /Users/<your_user_name>/Documents/Civilization IV Warlords/. I'm not 100% positive about this one because I haven't poked around Ruff's mod in over four years.

I want to try your first choice. I see two different "CustomAssets" files. There is one in my Civ4 Warlords folder, and there is another one inside my Ruff's mod folder that downloaded. Which one am I supposed to rename "Assets"?

Once I start a new game and load the mod into the game, how do I access its functions? I want to use it for dot mapping. Thanks.:)

To load it manually for each game when you want it (Option 1), rename Ruff's CustomAssets and put his entire mod inside your Mods folder. BTW, you start the game *after* you load the mod.

The CustomAssets folder that is already in your Warlords folder is created by the game, and it only contains empty folders. If you rename, move or delete it, the game will just recreate it. That is where you would put the *contents* of Ruff's folder if you want the mod to load automatically for every game. I think EF left off CustomAssets from the folder path he gave for option 2.

To load it manually for each game when you want it (Option 1), rename Ruff's CustomAssets and put his entire mod inside your Mods folder. BTW, you start the game *after* you load the mod.

The CustomAssets folder that is already in your Warlords folder is created by the game, and it only contains empty folders. If you rename, move or delete it, the game will just recreate it. That is where you would put the *contents* of Ruff's folder if you want the mod to load automatically for every game. I think EF left off CustomAssets from the folder path he gave for option 2.

I must not be using the software correctly. Here is what I did...

1. Changed CustomAssets name to Assets in the Ruff's mod folder.
2. Put Ruff's folder in the Mod folder of Civ4 Warlords.
3. Opened Warlords program, went to Advanced functions, selected Ruff's mod.
4. After I clicked "OK" the game reloaded with the Mod.
5. I set up my usual custom game.
6. When I started the game, I could see my Warrior and my Settler, my cursor worked so I could move them around, but the normal control panel that lets me click to settle a city, etc. is not on the screen. So all I can ever do is move the Settler and Warrior around the screen!

Am I doing something wrong, or will it just not work on my Mac? I am running 10.6.8 operating system. If that is my problem, is there some other software that helps with dot mapping on Mac? Thanks.:)

Top Bottom