New GMR hotseat game, regular players please

EEE_BOY, GamerKG is right ... CS and barb settings are default.

GamerKG: I think part of the initial problem might be because I started the game in the morning my time, while the schedule is really an overnight one starting with end of the day my time ... I'm hoping it will settle down naturally ... if not, maybe we can figure a way to get synced up better. It's still the first couple turns though, I bet the kinks will settle out, since everybody is into playing regular.

Right, I was just wondering if people would be interested. I understand there isn't anything to do yet, we haven't gotten through turn 1! :lol:

I assume standard CS and barbs. That would mean 16 city-states (double the number of players that fit the map size).

what about ruins? On?

I have a problem I started up my game and it gave me Nuoco's password screen. Not sure if his turn saved or not. I just hit save and passed the game on. I can give up a turn I guess or maybe it should be reverted? Will the next player end up with my password screen?

uh oh ... Nouco, was there anything unusual on your turn?

GamerKG: let us know what it looks like to you when you pull it down ... is it showing you BlueCollar (InsaneTrollLogic)'s login screen?

btw -- BlueCollar, will definitely not have you give up a turn ... I'd like to hear what GamerKG sees when he downloads the turn, and I can try reverting, though when this has come up in other games reverting doesn't seem to solve the problem. If that's the case here, we should send the save in question to m4stermel and see if he can sort it out.

I got Nouco's password screen (Ottomans).

I'm betting the problem has something to do with some people using the client (automatic upload) and some people using the website (manual upload). If you upload the wrong save to the website, it assumes it is right. Thus your turn can progress without it actually progressing. Also if you save (with the client active) before you do your turn, it will upload the wrong one.

BlueCollar, did you use the client and save on Nouco's password screen? Or upload that save back to the website? Because I don't know how it progressed through your turn without you taking it at all... I assume its similar.

Well, I can't take my turn, its still back on Nouco's turn. So I'll just leave it where it is for now.

GamerKG, that sounds plausible -- I'm going to revert the game back to Nouco. Nouco, could you clear your hotseat save folder of any files before downloading the turn? This should help avoid any file mixup.

Always used the GMR client to send save files. I never got problems.

And yes, they are ruins! 2 in sight at turn 2 :goodjob:

Actually, the downloaded file is ALWAYS called "(GMR) Play this one!" and will always overwrite your previous "(GMR) Play this one!" when you download it.

If you are using the client, it does not matter what you save it as. The client will "steal" the save from the civ save folder before it gets named or saved there and upload it to the server. Make sure you don't save until after your turn though, as it will steal your save no matter what it is you are saving! I am not sure what the GMR does if you load the wrong save in the first place. I think it doesn't care and has no way of telling. So make sure that if you are using the client, once you grab the save play that one immediately before any other game you may have or we may end up with some random game on the server...

If you are using the website, then you have to upload it manually. This means you must upload the right save! That save is title whatever YOU named it when you saved it. So if you overwrote the "(GMR) Play this one!" file, then use that to upload. If you didn't overwrite that, make sure you don't accidentally upload the "(GMR) Play this one!" as that will be the save from before you took your turn.

GamerKG, that sounds plausible -- I'm going to revert the game back to Nouco. Nouco, could you clear your hotseat save folder of any files before downloading the turn? This should help avoid any file mixup.

hmm, i did save it. I always do.
And that on the file, GMR this one, or what it is called.
After that Civ closes and i go to the GMR client.
And then send it to the next person....

Were do i go wrong?

@Nouco: sounds exactly what I've been doing ... but it looks like BlueCollar was able to play through this time, so that's good .... very weird!

GMR saves the game for you. You don't need to save the file. Just click next turn and it will log you out. Then you submit your turn from the GMR client.

actually, it doesn't automatically save it for me ... in my experience, it only forces civ to quit after you click 'yes' to the 'overwrite existing file' query from the save screen .... and that has always worked fine (can't recall any following players having my login show up on what should be their turn)

Yeah you need to save the game but after clicking next turn. Just don't save before. I forgot that part. What Banman said.

Yeah, I don't actually get 1 turn a day, and I check like, every hour... :lol:

That may be the game starts from the unusual hours for the players. Once it's settled in the normal hours, it will pick up speed. I remember all these turns are played in the morning before I go out.

I have several games going now, so the feeling of gap is not that strong, but still... This game can use some turbo engine.

Top Bottom