End of Empires - N3S III

Ultimately it all seems to indicate a fairly unique and certainly non-Earth-like form of social organisation of the local maritime organisations, which seem to have an unusually strong middle class, no doubt partly due to absence of slavery getting in the way of economic development and polarisation. I'm afraid it still would be a rather precarious balance, though, especially as wealth increases. Balanced societies tend not to last for all that long, certainly not in the ancient world.
It is noted that the government of Farou, has suffered from regular periods of intense stability, where the Family Houses overthrew the almost comically weak monarchs. And the main reason that the Faroun do not have slavery remains an entirely cultural thing- so much of their society and history is based on non-slavery that it has become an entirely repulsive thing to the population in general.

@das, originally I was going for a Phoenicia style empire, due to being stuck on the edge of the Helsia Peninsula. However once I was able to secure the straits in the west, no one could threaten me within the Lovi sea and was able to turn my attention to the south. I guess you could say I started Phoenicia and evolved into a Roman/Athenian mix :p
Sort of Carthaginian?

to: Ritti, Rutto, Prokyr
We hear rumors of nations to the north that go by the name of 'Liang', we wish to visit these nations and open trade with them. If one of you guides our traders, ships and diplomats to the 'Liang', we will reward you with 500 Tui.

OOC: I'm curious at why the mighty Empire of the Trilui would care about the Liang...

OOC: I'm curious at why the mighty Empire of the Trilui would care about the Liang...

OOC: Well, the Trilui are a major trade power and also occasioanlly go on expeditions. Rumors of a broken up empire that used to be powerful and rich would likely attract explorers and merchants to Liang, as well as the other countries in the area.

OOC: Well, the Trilui are a major trade power and also occasioanlly go on expeditions. Rumors of a broken up empire that used to be powerful and rich would likely attract explorers and merchants to Liang, as well as the other countries in the area.

What he said.

I'm still waiting on LJ to try and negotiate... but he appears resolved to die :p

Trade concessions, cash payments, some territory as compensation and immediately leaving the Union's territory are desirable.

@Das
: Hard to say, it could be a pragmatic statement, or it could be completely serious. Look at it from my governments point of view, I was bought into a war because they invaded a fellow Republic, destroyed my state backed assets, appear to me to have wanted to invade me completely, and did it to co-coreligionist during a period of particular fanaticism. What do you think I meant?

OOC: Well you didn't post anything. :p Why in the world would I give in to you? Nonetheless

Trade concessions
is useless, since I don't control the trade within my nation. You ought to check the background of a nation before thinking you won, or even starting to negotiate.

some territory as compensation

Will only bring you trouble. Do you know how it would feel for your national stability to control provinces in which you abolished slavery, robbing the population of their property? It would be like Iraqi capturing Texas and saying they aren't allowed to vote anymore. That means revolt, you know.

immediately leaving the Union's territory

Why wouldn't I do that when making peace?

Actually, reading through your post, it seems that

cash payments

is the only solution which would be actually benificial for you, and of course I won't do that. The war hasn't even started yet.

is useless, since I don't control the trade within my nation. You ought to check the background of a nation before thinking you won, or even starting to negotiate.
... you can boot foreign traders out. A Union and friends monopoly of trade would be a good form of payment.

Will only bring you trouble. Do you know how it would feel for your national stability to control provinces in which you abolished slavery, robbing the population of their property? It would be like Iraqi capturing Texas and saying they aren't allowed to vote anymore. That means revolt, you know.

I don't free slaves. I've never done it, aside maybe from when I invaded the old Empire of the Sesh, only because I suspect that "profiting" from the occupation of Seshweay territory was read rather loosely.

is the only solution which would be actually benificial for you, and of course I won't do that. The war hasn't even started yet.

Well then welcome to being crushed and balkanised. I have some of the best soldiers in the world, the Farou are good, and the Krato are good. You can't outspend us, and you can't outfight us. 3 Fronts.

And to anyone contemplating backstabbing either me or the Farou... I can ensure that should you attempt it, you'll likely succeed. That is before we beat your big ally, and then whoever it is will be crushed and pulped bloodily, I'll need to invent a new word [nation/ethnic group]ocide. Not much I can do for the Krato :p

I also forgot the religious option.

... you can boot foreign traders out. A Union and friends monopoly of trade would be a good form of payment.

That doesn't matter to me, but you will then have to contend the ~5000 Trilui economical drop , who they control the trade in my nation.

I don't free slaves. I've never done it, aside maybe from when I invaded the old Empire of the Sesh, only because I suspect that "profiting" from the occupation of Seshweay territory was read rather loosely.

I then agree that it would be beneficial for you. Actually for me as well, because your people will have ordinary access to slaves, which will make them buy them, spreading the ideology of slavery! :D

I also forgot the religious option.

You mean I should convert? My Emperor isn't a religious man, so it doesn't matter.

I still won't give in though. Seeing that you are attempting to get peace, you actually seem a little.. Well... lack of words from me.

To: Hu'ut

Face your certain doom… and check who your enemy’s allies are before you decide to invade them…

Rhetoric and hyperbole. In all seriousness, you invaded a close ally and attacked me directly and indirectly for that I'm going to have to wreck your army simply for the affront. Then you don't even bother to negotiate until after I prompt it.

Hu'ut conversions at the point of the sword sound good to me.

The Union of Aya'se's flag ;)

Soon to be improved. I still need to think of a suitable means or representing the members, of representing the Republic and the Triumvirate.

Lord_Iggy said:
intense stability

How do you imagine that? :p

so much of their society and history is based on non-slavery that it has become an entirely repulsive thing to the population in general.

a) There is no such thing as "non-slavery";
b) There is a big difference between slavery as applied to ourselves and slavery as something we apply to others.

I guess that it could be more along the lines of a ban on enslaving any of the Farou and a freeman-based economy. That would technically make sense for slavery to be practically nonexistent, at least under that specific name and in an explicit form.

@Das: Hard to say, it could be a pragmatic statement, or it could be completely serious. Look at it from my governments point of view, I was bought into a war because they invaded a fellow Republic, destroyed my state backed assets, appear to me to have wanted to invade me completely, and did it to co-coreligionist during a period of particular fanaticism. What do you think I meant?

As I already said, whether you are being pragmatic or not scarcely enters into it. The matter of fact is that your stated IC war goal is, amongst other things to "liberate the slaves of the tyrant". Is it an empty ritual phrase that was added in there for Great Justice or does it actually carry any meaning that your leaders are trying to get across, such as the deposition of monarchy? Or is it simply deliberately vague and nobody knows what to make of it even within your cultural context because this is an unprecedented situation?

The pantheon of the Ritti people is a large and diverse one. Dozens of Gods are worshiped, some more then others, some confined to specific regions and areas. The popularity of the Deities wax and wane, those who enjoyed the most worshipers and the grandest of temples 1,000 years ago, might now face obscurity, while previously obscure Gods might rise in a short amount of time. But the pantheon is always dominated by a triad of some sorts. The current triad of divine might are the Sea Goddess Nagash, the God of Law, Dagon and the Earth Goddess Ishtar. Together, they form the head of the Ritti pantheon and together they enjoy the most popularity amongst the Ritti commoners, warriors, scholars and nobles alike.

Nagash, Sea Goddess
Nagash is the Goddess of the sea, of trade and of wealth. She is the patron God of sailors, who pray to her for a successful and safe journey across the waves. In the Ritti Kingdom, the sea and trade are closely associated, as much of their trading is done overseas, rather then overland. And trade and wealth are associated with one another: there is a reason why the Ritti capital is nicknamed the “City of Gold” and that reason is because it grew extremely wealthy through naval trade and many citizens of the capital give thanks and praise to She who brought them this wealth: Nagash.

Nagash is also a fickle Goddess, however, as fickle as the sea. For while the sea brings wealth to the Ritti Kingdom, through fishing and trading activities alike, it also brings death and destruction to the Ritti. Storms are and rough currents wreck ships and drag fishermen to their death, while all manners of horrific sea-creatures prey on sailors, luring them to their doom.

Temples of Nagash are large domes with huge inner markets and storage space. The priests of Nagash are merchants and traders themselves, buying goods and wares in bulk from the Ritti docks and stalling them inside their temple to sell to the general public. The profits go towards building additional temples, or enlarging existing ones, as well as financing further trade expeditions. A temple of Nagash is thus a very welcome sight in any city, as it brings trade and wealth, along with a place to worship.

Dagar, God of Law

Dagar is the stern God of Law, of mathematics, of civilization, progress and stability. He is the protector of great cities, the patron of judges, scholars and kings. Through his wise, stable and benevolent rule, the Ritti prosper peacefully. He is King amongst the Gods and rules them all. While this causes much enmity and jealously in the other Gods, His rule is just and wise and he is frequently called upon to resolve a dispute amongst the Gods.

Dagar is the husband of Nagash, but they live separately. For while they enjoyed a happy marriage filled with children, Nagash became more and more obsessed with the sea, staying away from her home and husband for longer and longer periods of time until the sea started to change Nagash. The more time Nagash spent at sea, the more fickle she became. She was just as likely to smash a ship on the rugged cliffs as she was to grant it a safe journey. This was unbearable for Dagar, God of Law and stability, He who always strived for progress and never acted randomly or on impulse. He warned Nagash that her behavior was unacceptable, but she would, or perhaps could not listen to his warnings, so tuned in with the sea she had become. On one sorrowful night, when Nagash returned home from one of her long journeys, she found the doors and windows locked: Dagar had cast her out of their home and refused to let her back in. Howling with fury, the maddened Nagash banged on the doors and trashed around the house, summoning forth the water from the ocean to engulf their home and smash down the doors. But the doors held and her husband didn't answer her frenzied pleads. It is said that for 12 days and 12 nights, Nagash raged like a crazed witch, before she withdrew back to the ocean, sobbing quietly. Never again has she set foot on land again, accepting Dagar's judgment as her fate.

Temples of Dagar are built in the shape of layered Pyramids: Ziggurats. These Ziggurats varry in size, but the biggest are quite impressive and imposing buildings. Only the priests and holy guardians are allowed inside the temple complexes; not even the King is allowed inside. It is rumored that within the massive walls of the Dagon temples lie a wealth in different texts. Priests of Dagar are learned men: scholars, mathematicians and judges. Whenever a crime is committed in Ritti, a priest of Dagon will be the judge.

Ishtar, Goddess of Fertility

Ashtar is the loving Goddess of fertility, of health, the land, happiness and the seasons. She is the life-bringer, blessing women with pregnancies and the land with a bountiful harvest. She is the Goddess of happiness and bliss and of the warm hearth. Especially popular amongst the peasants, for she decides if the crops fail or bloom. She is also the patron of pregnant women, as she determines whether or not the child or mother will live during childbirth. And finally, she is the patron of the ill and the sick, for she can bless them with renewed life energy, curing them of all their ailments.

When Dagar banished Nagash, he showed true emotion for the first time in history. Saddened and sorrowful, Dagar neglected his duties and failed to provide stability, law and order for his worshipers, resulting in worldwide chaos and unrest. The other Gods pleaded with Dagar to take up his duties again, for without Dagar, the world would turn upside down. But Dagar's heart was broken over his decision to banish Nagash from his home. Until he first laid eyes on Ashtar. Her warmth, love and beauty restored Dagar to his former glory, enabling him to resume his duties and restore the world again. Some even whisper that Ashtar as the Goddess of the ever changing seasons, remind Dagar of his wife: Nagash the fickle. But as the seasons are circular in nature, showing rhythm, stability and dependability, Dagar was able to accept it and embrace it. This he was unable to do with the random and unpatterned behavior of Nagash. Thus, while Dagar remained married to Nagash, he found a new life partner in Ashtar, raising her status significantly enough to be incorporated in the Divine Triad of the Ritti pantheon.

Temples of Ashtar are often building complexes: several buildings each serving a different purpose, for the priests of Ashtar serve in many different functions. The priests of Ashtar serve as physicians and midwives, curing the sick and helping the pregnant give birth. They bless those in search of fertility and the priestesses offer sexual services in return for payment. The “whore-priests” as a blasphemous traveler from the Southern lands once called the Priestesses of Ashtar are worshiped for their divinity, for the Ritti believe that during sex, one becomes closest to the Divine as mere mortals can ever get.

To: Prokyr

We wish to establish permanent peaceful relations. At the least, we wish to sign a treaty of peace and encourage trade between our two states. At most we wish to agree to a defensive alliance against outside aggressors. We believe that more can be gained through mutual defence, over mutual aggression.

Top Bottom