Washington State set to legalize Gay Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

downtown

Crafternoon Delight
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/71835.html

Washington state is set to become the seventh in the country to legalize gay marriage, according to a report Monday.

Democratic Sen. Mary Margaret Haugen announced she would be the 25th vote needed to pass the same-sex marriage bill out of the state Senate, The Associated Press reported Monday. The Washington state House already has the necessary support for the measure, and Gov. Chris Gregoire publicly announced her support for gay marriage earlier this month.

Washington would then become the seventh state to legalize same-sex marriage along with New York, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Iowa, Connecticut and Vermont. The District of Columbia also recognizes same-sex marriage.

“I know this announcement makes me the so-called 25th vote, the vote that ensures passage,” Haugen said in a statement, according to the AP.

Read the rest of the story above.

This poses a grave threat to the institution of marriage. I worry that any day now, a roving band of gays will invalidate my own heterosexual engagement.

Oh wait that doesn't happen at all.

THOUGHTS?

The vote that ensures passage?

EDIT: I hope it doesn't get in via some backdoor shenanigans.

Awesome. I'm not familiar with local politics in that area but let's just say I hope there's no repeat of what happened in California :shake:

:applause:

Of course, once this passes everyone on the West Coast will need to brace themselves for God to unleash his wrath via the predicted Pacific Northwest "Big One." (Bigger than the CA Big One. Much bigger.)

A sign of more equality for LGBTers!

nothing else to do in washington state so may as well get gay married.

next time I look at washington state they'll have turned in canada. And the rest of the US will ask, "whoa, when did that happen?" yet almost nothing will change.

Homosexuals are not a race.

I'm not really going to debate the merits of discrimination with you. I'm just going to sit back and point out you're on the losing side of history on this one. So yeah, enjoy your continued failures.

I'm not really going to debate the merits of discrimination with you. I'm just going to sit back and point out you're on the losing side of history on this one. So yeah, enjoy your continued failures.

:lol::rotfl::rotfl:

losing side of history, I think not! You think that just because your side is winning in the west means that your side will win, that's Eurocentric.

:lol::rotfl::rotfl:

losing side of history, I think not! You think that just because your side is winning in the west means that your side will win, that's Eurocentric.

*shrug* we live in the west. People like you are going to have to answer to your grand kids much like our grandparents have to answer for their generation's racism.

nothing else to do in washington state so may as well get gay married.

next time I look at washington state they'll have turned in canada. And the rest of the US will ask, "whoa, when did that happen?" yet almost nothing will change.

Hey, we're not Canadian and we're proud of it. :smug:

My thoughts: Cool, but I don't think it should be up to governments to define marriages and their legality in the first place. If two adults want to get married, let them do it.

What I continue to find amazing is republicans continue to make anti-gay marriage actions a backbone of their platform when I believe polls show more and more people dont share that viewpoint anymore. They are so determined to pander to their base that they rabidly endorse a dying position.

And celtic do you really have to ask? They cant marry who they want. Lack of ability to marry limits them from other benefits such as spousal hospital visitation rights.

They are free to marry a member of the opposite sex, just like everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom