New Screenshots

Exactly, guys remember that these screenshots are still being worked on, the game probably is half-way if not barely finished. They have to make EVERYTHING from scratch but are using the engine as a template.

It's being released in around 6 months, i hope it's pretty done :eek:
Art comes pretty late in the development cycle, though. After all, artwork itself is relatively uncritical for most concepts (it should rarely cause bugs, has no influence on bugs, does not matter for playtesting and QA, it is specified once all other things are done).

I hope these screenshots are showing only one from many possibilities of types of planets, because I am really really hating the colour scheme of the terrain.

That raises a design question: if the terrain were more pleasing to the eye, would it be sufficiently alien?

I hope these screenshots are showing only one from many possibilities of types of planets, because I am really really hating the colour scheme of the terrain.

There was an article that mentioned 3 different types of planets: jungly, mushroomy and deserty, and you get to choose which one you go to at the start of the game :goodjob:

That raises a design question: if the terrain were more pleasing to the eye, would it be sufficiently alien?

I think that raises some interesting questions about our culture. Why is alien assumed to be unsightly?

I'm also a bit disappointed in the green terrain; I was hoping for something a bit more alien. I really liked the red vegetation of Alpha Centauri... it felt inherently alien and hostile. It also made for a clear visual distinction between the native red flora and the imported green Earth terraforming.

I think that raises some interesting questions about our culture. Why is alien assumed to be unsightly?

Since we like to keep what is sightly around us and therefore familiar?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and what we find sightly is usually good for us, which leads to survival, safety etc. like Lord Tirian mentioned later on.

Don't really care for the colour scheme, didn't really care for the original SMAC colour scheme either (I had to put on the colour-blind palette since I personally found it difficult to differentiate the fungus from the regular terrain), more concerned about the giant claw monster. Mindworms and fungus towers were cool at first, a bit boring later on but still practical.

There was an article that mentioned 3 different types of planets: jungly, mushroomy and deserty, and you get to choose which one you go to at the start of the game :goodjob:

I think that raises some interesting questions about our culture. Why is alien assumed to be unsightly
?

Can you come up with terrain which is both totally alien and pleasing to the eye? I'm genuinely struggling

I think it's the other way round: we assume the pleasant, the sightly, the nice to be good, natural and familiar. Which makes sense, we're part of Earth and hence, we have evolved to find safe and habitable places pleasant. It's basically how we judge an environment to be safe.

If it's unpleasant, if it's strange, if our brains can't come up with a "survival strategy", we find it unfamiliar, foreboding and alien.

Wait a minute.... is that a colony? Its two tiles only, and one tile looks like a "mini-city" and the other tile is, erhm, well, uranium?

Wait a minute.... is that a colony? Its two tiles only, and one tile looks like a "mini-city" and the other tile is, erhm, well, uranium?

Outpost I'm p sure. Or whatever a "Colonist" turns into. Which but maybe the progression is Colonist -> Outpost -> Colony/City

I am the only one who is already afraid that many players will launch the game, dive in the awesomeness of early exploration, and start a new game during mid - game? :crazyeye:

FIRST MOD IDEA!

No cities. Units wandering through the unknown planet, getting resources and quests, fighting with local organisms, meeting other human groups of astronauts.

SECOND MOD IDEA:

Colonisation of Mars! Emphasis put on dealing with technical issues :crazyeye:

THIRD MOD IDEA!

You play as aliens and have to defeat evil violent human colonists

I am the only one who is already afraid that many players will launch the game, dive in the awesomeness of early exploration, and start a new game during mid - game? :crazyeye:

FIRST MOD IDEA!

No cities. Units wandering through the unknown planet, getting resources and quests, fighting with local organisms, meeting other human groups of astronauts.

SECOND MOD IDEA:

Colonisation of Mars! Emphasis put on dealing with technical issues :crazyeye:

THIRD MOD IDEA!

You play as aliens and have to defeat evil violent human colonists

If 3 isn't a DLC, we riot

Marble exist out there as well.
Some tiles are made up of triangles in the screenshots. Don`t mean much, proberbly.

DLC or expansion would probably be a kind of Alien Crossfire, especially if you read the victory types (see contact victory).

I think it's a city, see this concept art from a preview article:

Spoiler :

That's probably how a city looks like after being founded, assuming the crawler-like vehicle is indeed a "settler". They are hiding the UI, I guess, because it's unfinished (if you look at the 2nd screenshot, you can see hints of the UI and it looks like basic outlines).

Idk, maybe that's just some kind of "colony" thing that lets you get resources outside of your normal territory. Look closely at the top left and top-center right of the screen and you can see what the cities look like and they don't look anything like that vehicle when its opened up. So unless your city's graphics radically change as you play, I'm not sure if that vehicle becomes a full-fledge city.

EDIT: Well, looking at it closer, it could very well grow into those bigger cities. The only reason why I say that is because the two other cities look to have the shape of a plus sign as well.

Top Bottom