RimWorld

grandad1982

Deity
Didn't see a dedicated thread to RimWorld so I thought I'd start one.

RimWorld is a game in development that is mostly being developed one guy. Its set in a universe where the speed of light is the absolute constraint on how fast matter and information can travel so that space colonies are largely isolated especially in the parts of the galaxy where planets are less densely clustered. The premise of the game is that a settlers are on their way to a new world when the crash on a RimWorld. A rimworld being some where on the edge of things and not very civilizationally advanced. Your goal is to ensure the survival and expansion of your new colony.

For more info go here.

I just got my copy of RimWorld alpha for backing the kickstarter so when I get the chance I'll load it up and grab some screens to post here!

This looks...a lot like Prison Architect. Building looks like it works roughly the same way. Characters are designed the same way (and move the same way). Health bar looks the exact same.

Did Introversion change its name to Ludeon Studios or something?

Actual gameplay from the video looks fine, but price tag is pretty steep for early alpha. Then again, it is the same price as Prison Architect, so I suppose they're continuing the tradition of lifting from that game.

Part of the Kickstarter was to get money to employ an artist for the project. My hope is that it'll stop looking like PA before final release.

I very rarely (now) get involved in alpha releases as I like to avoid burnout and disappointment. In this case I just got exited about the concept as it reminded me of the program Firefly, which I thought was an over looked gem at the time.

I like, it like tower defense meets dwarf fortress.
Think of it like an early version of dwarf fortress, with some solid rpg, combat, building, but lacking depth and complexity.

I dont mind the simple graphics, the easy to use interface and gameplay is what I want.
What I found is pick it up early play to get a feel for the game and then stop playing, dont play the incremental releases and wait a while, when the release comes by pick it up again and it will be again fresh with discovery.

So I've had a chance to play a bit now and have grabbed some screens.

Our Starting spot. Not to bad to the south there with the steam vent for power.
Spoiler :

My initial base. The lamp by the crops kept shorting in the rain and setting fire to the potatos!
Spoiler :

Things have moved on. We've survived several raids and now have a few more colonists. These guys had grenades and destroyed a turret.
Spoiler :

This is my base as I left it. We're pretty stable right now. Just want to get a few more peeps and properly assign people to various tasks. Also need to rework my defences a little.
Spoiler :

My initial impressions are that its a fun theme and setting but, there is still a lot of content that needs adding (unsurprisingly since its an alpha!) and there needs to be deeper production trees (again I imagine this will come).

DAY 76:
Trying to expand to the third Geo thermal generator, base well established until massive raiders appear

One turret and two Colonist set on fire.
So many people just charged straight at my trenches and died trying to cross the scrap metal barricades.

That last screenshot sold me. I mean, not actually sold me because I can't pay $30 for an alpha right now. I mean sold in-well, whatever.

Will be following closely.

Edit: I also don't like using Paypal.

Its is coming out in a few months time, needs a ton more content to be worth it.
I hope it gets several years worth of content and polishing like Terraria as its the most fun Dwarf Fortress clone I have played.

They have just released Alpha 7. Its a big step up as it has introduced a comprehensive "stuff" system and lots more stats, as well as improved medical care (artificial limbs etc).

I really like this game and it seems to be just getting better. Can't wait to see what the dev comes up with in the future.

Video is here.

Yeah, this is like Dwarf Fortress with graphics. Will follow with interest, I can't afford the time on new games right now.

There's a new alpha out. Watch the vid here.

Its big introductions are a temperature and season system and the introduction of art.

Haven't played it yet but I'm exited!

I've been playing the new alpha and it's quite fun. I love the new temperature/season system and windmills give some much needed variation in power generation.

Id like to look into this, but, damn, do I hate early access.

I'm definitely following this one but, like others, I can't do any more 'early access' games. On the contrary, games these days aren't even done upon release. I'm a little mad that I bought Fallout 4 shortly after release and didn't wait 8-12 months, for example. Any game that has great replay value may be worth getting right away, but otherwise...

Been following this for years, but 30 is just too much for me atm. 15 is probably my buy point.

So I got this. It is good if you like the dwarf colony type play. No bugs or crashes so far as I can tell.

If you told me this was a full game the. I would believe you. That said I have not gotten to the end game.

The game is hard, which is not a ding against it. It is also very obtuse in unnecessary ways though.

Top Bottom