Min-maxing in CivWorld - When You Take a Facebook App Too Seriously

Baldfalk, it has been known for months that you always get the GP that is currently the highest market price when you accumulate enough culture for the next GP.

I am a double swapper especially since the current game has 25 person empires, it is just irresponsible not to... Meaning only 4% of the Japanese Shogunate is responsible... but I digress.

Even so, the full board swappers undercount their fair value.
Assuming the assumptions, albeit rare, are present
* sufficient swaps
* only person online
* sufficient time to complete board error free

the most efficient strategy, for an individual, is to single swap until the bonus reaches 6 and then x5 swap. This will increase the return per swap for the board slightly higher than numbers already quoted. There are also opportunities, to double swap prior to the bonus reaching 6 that will goose the average a bit higher as well.

On the negative side, i am under the impression that double swaps increment the bonus but get a flat rate, they do not get a bonus. So that last swap is not as valuable as the full board swappers claim credit for. It also means you need to be careful to avoid double swaps after the bonus passes 5.

To me, it is easier to stick with double swaps even at 7 moves per rather than 6. (OLD bald falk's such as myself need 7 more often than not)

Baldfalk, it has been known for months that you always get the GP that is currently the highest market price when you accumulate enough culture for the next GP.

Yup, I've been searching for the wrong terms, just stumbled upon quite a few discussions on the matter. I put on my robe and dunce cap.

To me, it is easier to stick with double swaps even at 7 moves per rather than 6. (OLD bald falk's such as myself need 7 more often than not)

I dunno if this helps, but there generally is two ways to double swap. Both start off with looking for Tile A that belongs to Spot B. First solution then involves looking for the tile that belongs in Spot A, and moving that to Spot B before swapping the two. Second solution involves looking for the spot that Tile B belongs in then moving Tile A there before swapping.

Here are some awful mspaints that hopefully don't make that even more confusing than it already sounds when I read back the piss-poor attempt at an explanation

First method:

Second method

Those are nice illustrations, but maybe I understood them because I already knew how to do a 6 swap double.

I also know how to do 5 swap doubles, which statistically are fairly likely to exist on any random board, but I also don't do much of that because of the work entailed. :)

5-swap doubles are finite, 6 aren't. The extra effort is counter productive for 5 like you said- completely agreed.

What's the time interval between tops and lows in the commodities algorithm, according to you? Hours, days?

Sometimes it's really hard to know if the price is going up or down, and even if you've seen a difference [in price] you don't know if it's because of the algorithm or because of players buying and selling.

Like this.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I guess this [picture] is superfluous for most of you, but might help an odd newbie.

Anyway, I noticed that the white line, that shows the difference in price, doesn't change when the algorithm pushes the price up or down, making it useless when it comes to checking for highs and lows. And the only way you can tell what way the price is heading, is by watching the market more or less all the time.

Here's a dirty secret. I screenshot the market, then every time I notice any number has changed, I compare it vs the screenshot.

(...Hey, don't give me that dirty look, this thread -is- about OCD)

You can tell if it's the algorithm vs other players by the yellow numbers. Bottom left is the amount of commodity owned total by other players (not including yourself) and bottom right is the average price paid, which is usually a stupid and useless piece of information because it's skewed by people who bought at the start of the game then never ever log in again.

In my experience the fluctuation in direction is over the course of maybe 1-6 hours, but the idea is that the closer you catch the system in right after a change in direction, the more profit you make, hence the more frequently you can check, the better. I personally have the window open in the background while working on assignments/projects, and printscreen-ctrlV takes 5 seconds every 5 minutes.

Luxuries generally are a lot less lucrative than capitalizing on resource spikes (20 units bought at 200 and sold at 350 = only 3000 profit early-mid-game for example) but the more people you chase away through the course of the game, the better you set yourself up to rake in serious cash when it goes between 600 and 1200. I also updated my assessments in the start:

Culture: Dependant on position in game; it's a factor of the price of great persons and what your own current culture-cap-for-GP is. Can go between 100-200.
Luxuries: Updated to 65% target from 50%. Made a lot more sense as you rarely ever see prices dip below 50% of max, especially early game.

It's not like I didn't know about the secret of the yellow numbers. :p

And aye, I take a screenshot of the market as well, makes it alot easier than trying to remember every number by heart. :borg:

What confused me earlier was that the dips and rises were fairly small when a game starts, making it hard to know the difference between a peak and a valley; it's after about half the eras has passed that you see changes in price in several hundreds

Both Luxuries and Great People scale in price according to (I believe) era.

Buying/selling a GP late-game raises/drops the price by a magnitude of what it does at the start. Same for Luxuries. Same for both commodities' respective sliding algorithms.

(Oh wow I just called GP a commodity)

Top Bottom