Offworld Trading Company

BTW the game will come into Steam Early Access in two weeks and Soren explains why on their website

from the website said:
I was very excited when I first learned about Steam’s Early Access program because it provides the infrastructure for making games the way I believe they should be made, by connecting developers and players as early as possible. I speak from experience; with Civilization 3, we had no player feedback outside of Firaxis and our publisher’s testing department, which led to some poorly-tuned mechanics and simply bad ideas in the initial release. Afterwards, I spent months and months digging through the forums, developing direct contact with the game’s most outspoken critics, and reworking the core design through a series of major patches. Eventually, we were happy with the final product, but I wish we had that feedback before we released the game instead of afterwards. Determined to fix that problem for Civ 4, we launch a private testing program by inviting notable members of the Civ community to start playing the game over a year and a half before release. Our ability to act early on the feedback these players provided was the primary reason that Civ 4 received universal acclaim upon release.

It is an great news for me.... thanks

You're welcome. :)

Here is tutorial no 3 (before you ask, there's no #2 yet ;)):

Link to video.

There will be a new live stream at 12:30 EST (18:30 CET) today.

Tweet by @SorenJohnson said:
Streaming a Multiplayer Offworld game at lunch! (12:30 EST) I'm going to commentate/observe instead of play this time

It looks like a more direct version of Railroads - in Space! (or: on Mars!)
Not a bad concept, but the 35$ entry seems a bit high. Maybe?

I consider the price a very direct funding into a promising Indie, but everyone needs to make the descision whether or not to buy based on his/her own circumstances.

From what I have heard the AI in particular is pretty good already, even without any cheats. They apparently have had to tone it down a while ago for us 'meatbrain' players to keep up.

Also, be aware that this is made available in Early Access, the official launch date is somewhere next year. There is a pretty active response from the developers to the remarks on their forums, so I expect to see many changes before the official launch.

I'd actually be a lot more interested in this kind of game if it was turn based, the fact that it's real time is kind of turning me off of it if I'm being honest.

I know what you mean, I have my reservations too, but am willing to try. I will report how it feels. :)

You can choose low speed apparently, even on multi-player games (although you can't change it when the game runs, you can in single-player mode).

edit: BTW here's a link to the podcast that came out today of Gamers-with-Jobs where Soren explains some of the design choices they made http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/119798

Okay so when I posted earlier I hadn't actually watched any of the videos, cause I was at work. Now that I watch them I see that it's real time in the same sense as Europa Universalis is real time, AKA you can pause at any time to think about what you want to do and survey the situation. That I can handle, now this game is sounding pretty good.

I played the first two tutorials, and the game is a blast so far. To my surprise I really like that the game is so much shorter. It is also obvious that the UI needs a lot of work still, but the devs are very much aware of it. It's the typical blindness that you get when you know the game inside-out, and the reason the game is in Early Acess, so I expect to see the UI improve fast. Although there is a relative small amount of products that can be mined/manufactured, it is enough to keep you very, very busy. The great thing is that it is not the micro management that is keeping you busy, the game automates many things, making every move that you do implement of strategic value.
I know that I have much to learn about the game to play it better, the pause button is my best friend currently... but the fun is in the learning, and I imagine it will be a long while exploring all the dynamics, even when you've mastered all the elements. Props to the devs! :thumbsup:

It looks great but $40 for early access, non triple A title, doesn't look to have that much content. Just can't do it.

It looks great but $40 for early access, non triple A title, doesn't look to have that much content. Just can't do it.

Then you really shouldn't, I'm sure that at some point in the future the price will go down. :)

The content of the game is in the systems, and how they interact. In that way this game plays more like a board game, really.

Yeah at $40 I'll be waiting for a price drop for sure, that's too much for a game like this.

Top Bottom