XCOM 2

I'm on the fence about buying this game. I mean, I really want to as I loved the last one, but my graphics card doesn't meet the minimum requirement (though the rest of my laptop system seems fine). I've done this with some games before and everything was fine if I lowered some of the graphics. The last game I tried though, MKX, would barely work.

I currently have a 27% of coupon from GMG (which I never have troubles buying from). I am debating on taking the chance.

Anyone else buying knowing they are under the requirements?

the devs have specifically said in interviews that they felt the difficulty curve in Impossible EU was all wrong, explicitly calling it a mistake. I think what they're going for here is actually more of a Long War style difficulty curve, where it starts out easier than EU does but maintains it's difficulty over time better. Remember that in EU, even on Impossible, all of the difficulty was in the first couple of months, if you made it past that you could usually roll the rest of the game because the difficulty curve goes off a cliff as soon as you start getting gear upgrades.

This is very good to hear; it was one of my few big gripes with vanilla XCOM EU.

[...] And the devs have specifically said in interviews that they felt the difficulty curve in Impossible EU was all wrong, explicitly calling it a mistake.[...]

Do you have a link to one of those interviews?

Did they say how?

They did play a mission on legendary and a mech mark 2 showed up with 3 points of armor and something like 25 HP points (if I counted right from the screenshot). Also, instead of scattering, it charged forward and used its missile attack to outright kill one of Pete's xcom soldiers and badly damage another. Pete lost 2 soldiers on the mission. The dev said that the alien units get more HP points and will be more aggressive, charging forward like the mech did or using overwatch rather than scattering. I am sure there are other changes as well that the devs are keeping a surprise.

Do you have a link to one of those interviews?

I do not, because I don't even remember which interview it was from. I've watched nearly all of them so keeping it straight is beyond my ability.

I am guessing that everyone here has pre ordered?

I have even gone as far as to book a whole day of work to play :)

Some initial reviews look excellent:
Game Informer: 9.5/10 http://www.gameinformer.com/games/xcom_2/b/pc/archive/2016/02/01/xcom-2-game-informer-review.aspx
Rock Paper Shotgun: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/02/01/xcom2-review/
Enduring extended loadtimes and the occasional wonky camera angle is a small price to pay for a game so accomplished. XCOM 2 is an improvement on its predecessor in every way and the vast majority of those improvements have been applied so intelligently that they risk making Enemy Unknown obsolete. That game was a smart remake of a classic. XCOM 2 is a classic in its own right and as good a sequel as I can remember.

Gamestar gave it 88/100, but their biggest complaint was that the difficulty curve was one of the very few things not improved from Enemy Unknown and might even be worse. The very first mission had a sectoid with mind control, and once oyu have a couple of experienced soldiers it gets much easier.

If it's true that the difficulty falls off a cliff just like the first one that will be disappointing, but I'm sure a mod addressing that will be out before I even finish my first campaign, so it's not hugely worrisome.

Long War Studios has released some info on the mods that they are working on for XCOM2 that will be available for free on release day:
Mod 1 adds submachine gun type weapons for the 3 weapon tiers.
Mod 2 adds a new Muton unit, the Muton Centurion.
Mod 3 adds a new "leader" upgrade path. A leader type can have up to 5 additional abilities. Only one leader per squad.

https://xcom.com/news/en-long-war-studios-preparing-three-xcom-2-mods-for-launch

These mods look great. They are the kind of additions that you wish were in the base game by default. Luckily, the mods will be available on release day so it will essentially be the same as if they were part of the base game.

In case anyone is interested, preloading was just enabled for the game on steam ... now if I could only get my key from GMG :)

EDIT: got mine too!

GMG sent my key to me today.

Argh I can't afford to get it until I get paid on Friday!

Oh well, if preloading is available, that means I should be able to download the thing Friday morning while I'm at work so that I can murder ADVENT long into the evening without having to wait.

Top Bottom