CS influence query

Walter R

Great Engineer
What appeared to be an oddity in current game:

Rome was the big fish runaway and had a mighty empire before a beastly English warmonger cut him down to 2 fairly crappy cities and then accepted peace deal that took all his cash. In predictable fashion 2 other civs then DOW'd him.
Rome then proceeds to win CS allies at a rate of knots (well I think he managed 4). How?
1. I checked his cash situation - deplorable, 0 savings (obviously) and fairly negative.
2. No patronage SP
3. No units left to kill barbs with or whatever other CS quests.

His influence with his new buddies was never 'just there' - always 90+ min. There were no notifications about him having the most faith/culture/tech over the last 90 turns or whatever, and he certainly hadn't built any wonders in his remaining cities.

Only thing I could think was that as an AI civ he was being allowed to bribe them on credit? But if that were so he wasn't 1000's gp negative, about -40ish. I don't remember but I don't think he had any income.

It made no difference to my position in the game, and the thread isn't a complaint of any kind; but I was left scratching my head and wondering how he did it - any thoughts?

Spies influencing elections? Coups?

What appeared to be an oddity in current game:

Rome was the big fish runaway and had a mighty empire before a beastly English warmonger cut him down to 2 fairly crappy cities and then accepted peace deal that took all his cash. In predictable fashion 2 other civs then DOW'd him.
Rome then proceeds to win CS allies at a rate of knots (well I think he managed 4). How?
1. I checked his cash situation - deplorable, 0 savings (obviously) and fairly negative.
2. No patronage SP
3. No units left to kill barbs with or whatever other CS quests.

His influence with his new buddies was never 'just there' - always 90+ min. There were no notifications about him having the most faith/culture/tech over the last 90 turns or whatever, and he certainly hadn't built any wonders in his remaining cities.

Only thing I could think was that as an AI civ he was being allowed to bribe them on credit? But if that were so he wasn't 1000's gp negative, about -40ish. I don't remember but I don't think he had any income.

It made no difference to my position in the game, and the thread isn't a complaint of any kind; but I was left scratching my head and wondering how he did it - any thoughts?

Would that happen to of been you? :mischief:

I bet there were a couple "Generate faith/culture/science" CS quests occurring. Rome would have been able to generate a hefty lead when his empire was large, and he ended up winning the quest even after he lost everything.

I bet there were a couple "Generate faith/culture/science" CS quests occurring. Rome would have been able to generate a hefty lead when his empire was large, and he ended up winning the quest even after he lost everything.

I agree that this makes the most sense, but usually you get some 'loser' notifications i.e. "Your culture wasn't good enough..." and I did not see any (which I freely admit is not the same as saying categorically that there were none).
As I said it was no biggy but I'm glad that no-one has pointed out some really obvious thing I'd missed (makes a change!:lol:).

Thanks for your thoughts folks.

Top Bottom