Triplehead2Go problems

RobM77

Chieftain
I'm not having any issues with Civ V at 1280x1024 on one monitor, but if I try and play the game at 3840x1024 across three monitors via my triplehead2go the 3D rendering in the extra two monitors appears about 95% grey, with just the odd thin stripe of gameplay visible. The menus etc are fine, it's just the 3D gaming area of the screen. Even the main menu's fixed graphic background has a few stripes on it.

I've got Civ V on back order, but I'm cancelling the order if I can't play it over three monitors :(. I've been running three monitors now for about six months and just couldn't go back to one! I currently play a large variety of games across three monitors and have never seen an issue like this; indeed my frame rate doesn't even suffer.

I'm running Win XP and DX9, and my hardware is a Radeon 1950XTX gfx card, 6600 Core2Duo CPU and 1GB of RAM. I realise that's near/below the minimum spec, but I can run Oblivion with every graphics option on max across three monitors at 60fps, so I was hoping I could run Civ V on minimum detail...

I've tried VSync and full screen modes on and off and still get the issue.

Any ideas?

I'm not having any issues with Civ V at 1280x1024 on one monitor, but if I try and play the game at 3840x1024 across three monitors via my triplehead2go the 3D rendering in the extra two monitors appears about 95% grey, with just the odd thin stripe of gameplay visible. The menus etc are fine, it's just the 3D gaming area of the screen. Even the main menu's fixed graphic background has a few stripes on it.

I've got Civ V on back order, but I'm cancelling the order if I can't play it over three monitors :(. I've been running three monitors now for about six months and just couldn't go back to one! I currently play a large variety of games across three monitors and have never seen an issue like this; indeed my frame rate doesn't even suffer.

I'm running Win XP and DX9, and my hardware is a Radeon 1950XTX gfx card, 6600 Core2Duo CPU and 1GB of RAM. I realise that's near/below the minimum spec, but I can run Oblivion with every graphics option on max across three monitors at 60fps, so I was hoping I could run Civ V on minimum detail...

I've tried VSync and full screen modes on and off and still get the issue.

Any ideas?

Oblivion is a pretty old game (still pretty good though)

Hopefully Civ V will support more than one monitor with a month (remember it is currently in the first week which on many games is super buggy)

also IMO getting Radeon 5770 would be a good investment

The reason I posted was that most multiple monitor issues seem to be subtle scrolling problems, rather than two of the monitors being grey and stripey :) Civ V is completely unplayable on my system unless I revert to 1280x1024.

Sorry, I realise Oblivion is quite hold, but I was trying to illustrate that my PC easily handles a game which is clearly more graphically complex than Civ V. My PC is hardly cutting edge, but I was hoping it would handle Civ V without an issue. I could upgrade the gfx card, but my upgrades are waiting until I upgrade the entire system to a faster CPU, gfx card and RAM and Win 7, DX10 etc. That'll really improve gaming performance, including Civ V, but I was hoping I'd be able to at least play it until I upgrade :)

hmm. point taken. Surely I'm only below the minimum spec in RAM, and that would be unlikely to produce these odd effects?

The effects may not be odd, they may just be the result of Firaxis not expecting enough people to be playing on 3 monitors for them to test it sufficiently during development. You could try waiting and see what comes out in the patches. I'd also suggest trying to play the game at different DX levels, or alternative multimonitor solutions.

The two monitor solution is also screwed up IIRC

Just as an update - I now have the full game and it plays beautifully at 1280x1024 on one monitor. Still the same issues across three monitors though - just a greyed out game area. A friend of mine with a newer system running the same triple monitor setup is having identical issues.

For now I'll use one monitor, but I wanted to bring the problem up just in case there's any chance of a patch in the future.

Top Bottom