Russian strategy

MorteEterna

Prince
Russia

I consider their bonuses not helpful to stop a rush maybe or to start a rush, but if you learn how to get cities fast you will have more production.

When I have tried them, they seemed to be as chinese or romans, I mean about the fact they can get cities fast, why:

+1 food from plans means you have a lot of grasslands and you can use them instead of wasting your time to build a granary so early.

Their bonuses:

Start: knowledge of local map
Ancient: +1 food from plans
Medieval: New units have loyalty
Industrial: 1/2 cost riflemen
Modern: 1/2 cost spies.

Knowledge of local map:

You know where to go with your warriors without wasting your time. You know from the start where to build new cities and you don't need so much time to explore your area. This could help in case of a fast rusher come to you; you can see if he gets barbarian villages and prepare yourself.

Ancient, +1 food from plans:

This means you have more food. Food is useful to get fast settlers and if you have to build a granary you would waste at least 10 turns. With this you can start to build settlers fast.

How to start:

Build 2 warriors and take some barbarian villages, while you grow in others 5 turns in Moscow. After that put 1 worker on a forest and 2 on science. By now you should have a new settler free. Set a city on at least 2 tiles of food (2*2) and 1 forest (2 is very good) and 1 water tile. Work in a water tile and a forest. In 4 turns you should have bronze working. Move archers to the position of new cities.

Start building settlers and build cities on the front and finish the armies, if you a peninsula. If you are on a continent build cities in different fronts. Work all times on 2 forests and 1 food if possible; if you haven't 2 forests work on 1 forest and 1 food when you reach 3 pop and build a new settler. Now you will have again 2 pop. When you reach 2 pop again, build 2 settlers, you need 5 turns, and send them in the front until you have 1 archer army in each city. In cities on the front if possible build 2 archer armies and if you want to be really sure, build more. By 40 turns you will have more than 10 cities if you have done these things. Remember to set also some cities in research, you should prefer to do that in old cities, not in the front (here build units or new settlers to expand to the front). You should have archers with loyalty in all cities, but now explain the point:

Follow this technology order:

Bronze working
Pottery
Masonry if you can get that fast
Irrigation
Alphabet
Literacy (if you are slow prefer this than irrigation).
Code of laws
(Now you should have about 10 cities)
Democracy.
Invention
University
Steam power
Railroads
Industrialization
Corporation

Now start researching not technologies that give you a free unit, don't matter so much. You have to research these technologies that give you a huge bonus:

Literacy
Irrigation (if possible)
University
Monarchy (if possible)
Invention
Railroad
Industrialization
Corporation

Now you should get all technologies you want, and you can skip Irrigation and Monarchy if you want. However, +2 science each city, +2 production each city and +10 gold each city is very huge, and if you are fast enough research Engeneering

Now get as fast as possible riflemen and build 1 army each city if possible. In my game I have used 10 armies to attack chinese and I could kill this AI that was still using archers. You could do the same if you are sure you can kill him, but follow this advice first:

You should build riflemen very fast, so move each one to enemies boarders and block all his production, food, and each square you want. If you have a huge production you can move also armies. However, you can do all you want, you can go for combustion or go for other victories.

Rusher Strategy

You got a map, do you know what this means? You know where huts - barbs have started. I'm talking about a rusher strategy, and you should know, rushing costs a later boost. Then use your settler to get 1-2 huts if you can get them, and if you want to do this, remember to found the city with at least 2 trees, 2 grasslands/plains (also 1+1) and 2 science tiles. Free 25 gold is ok however. Rush 2 warriors as fast as possible and explore, then start working on horseback riding, and rush horsemen as fast as you can, but remember, if you got from 75 to 99 gold, sell your warriors and work some turns on gold until you got the free settler. Now use your horsemen army to kill AI or enemies, and I would add that in my opinion special units get a boost attacking enemies, and russian got horsemen. After you got horseback, put 2 workers on 4 food (2 grasslands/plains) if you know there aren't rushers near you. If you are not sure, put every worker on bronze working and when you are 16/20, if you are producing 8 per turn, switch one city to 2 trees to bank hammers. Next turn, put everything on production and build 1-2 archers per city. Rush them only if there are rushers coming. However, when you reach 3 pop start building new settlers in the old way, 2 trees - 1 grassland/plain . In 5 turns you get a settler, do this again and keep expanding. Keep building archers if you fear rushers, and keep using your horsemen army to explore or take other capitals. Work on pottery-masonry-irrigation as fast as possible, or go straight for alphabet - writing - code of laws - literacy (I would suggest this one). You should understand when you should tech, or when you have to pump out new settlers. Try to use your brain to do this, and remember also, a new city means 4 beakers, but you have to lose 5 turns before doing that. You should understand when it's the time to tech a little to get some bonuses, or when is the time to build new cities. I would suggest to tech, then after a tech lead (also a little tech lead is enough), build new cities.
Then, while you try to keep pressing your enemy with your horsemen army, slowing enemies down, if he is still alive, build a lot of spies if you know the enemy has got a lot of buildings/great people, if you can reach modern era. When you are sure you will damage them enough, move all your spies, steal great people and destroy buildings. Use riflemen or at least archers to defend them. If you want to be sure, attack from another side (not the same city) to be sure he will look at another city. Then, destroy one of his cities with spies. Remember, industrialization should be a technology that is going to help you, if you got many cities.
Another thing you can do, is surrounding your enemy with at least 2 cities, then you start building riflemen and move them on every tile of the enemy's cities. This will really slow them down.
Do whatever you want then, and remember some of these tricks.

Weren't you the guy who said that Russia was the worst civ? And now you have a strategy guid on it? You gust proved to yourself that Russia is not all that bad.

Weren't you the guy who said that Russia was the worst civ? And now you have a strategy guid on it? You gust proved to yourself that Russia is not all that bad.

I said they are one of the worst. But I found a strategy for them. I had a strategy also for mongols but didn't want to post it. I think the worst are mongols, then indians, then french, russians, and others are a little better at least. Egyptians need too luck, however maybe I missed few civs.

Let me begin by saying that I am not posting to be critical of the posted strategy.

I would like to see another attempt at this strategy by someone. To me, most strategies should include a settler rush element even if the Civ isn't really the best suited to do it the quickest. No matter what Civ you are playing, you need to have a lot of cities to improve your chances.

I haven't spent a ton of time playing the Russians, but I think the population bonuses have the potential to have a significant cultural affect on a game.

The russian strategy needs a little more discussion about temples, cathedrals, wonders, and great people to name a few.

I know from post by others, that there are a fair number of Russians playing and I am sure they have some good ideas to offer.

I said they are one of the worst. But I found a strategy for them. I had a strategy also for mongols but didn't want to post it. I think the worst are mongols, then indians, then french, russians, and others are a little better at least. Egyptians need too luck, however maybe I missed few civs.

Yes, Now Morte changed it and put the French on 3rd place, before the Indians!
Weeeeeeeeee

anyways, Russia...
-The +1 from plains is really good, and the cheap rifles can really save your hiney :p

Yes, Now Morte changed it and put the French on 3rd place, before the Indians!
Weeeeeeeeee

anyways, Russia...
-The +1 from plains is really good, and the cheap rifles can really save your hiney :p

It wasn't an order. French is probrably the worst civilization, or the second. Indians are better than other civilizations, and Russia, too. +1 food from plains is helpful, not really good.

Top Bottom